One more thing (Joe needs to "overpay" for one player - Trent Williams)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsGoFar, Mar 28, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If it was anybody else drafting in the last 10 years I would agree with you but as JD was an OL player, you have to think that this will be his personal baby and if not a true WR1 is very much needed, a CB is very much needed as well tbh but not as much as the rest.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are very few people who make an abrupt rise at the combine that turns into a really significant rise on the field as well. OBJ is an outlier in that data set not the rule.

What the combine is really good for is moving people down. The Jets never would have taken Vernon Gholston if they'd fully accepted the stiffness the combine showed. Similarly we wouldn't have wound up with Jace Amaro if we'd taken the combine at face value.

There is something to be said for letting the college tape determine a player's value but when they show up at the combine and look like a stiff in skivvies it means something.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We have a huge need at punter too. Im sure JD is trying to figure out what punters might still be available at 11. Just incase the top LT and WR are gone!

4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Wills is the one playing RT for a leftie. Bit when the leftie got hurt this yeah and we replaced by a right handed qb, Wills stayed at RT. Makes you wonder if he can switch easily. If Saban and bama coach didn't move his, I'm not sure it's worth trying to move him at the nfl level. I think he's a decent RT. But like most Alabama player I think he has possibly reached his potential. Alabama gets player to max out their potential more often than not.

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  5. J-Raw24

Becton rise started before the combine. Once the season was over and people started to go back and watch tape, minds changed. I watched 2 live games plus many more of tv as I live 45 minutes north. He has greater potential than any other tackle in this draft. He's raw, need technique. But if he gets proper coaching he will be an elite LT. My only question is if his body holds up, most big men like him start having issues.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Ah my mistake, must have got muddled up lol I heard them say it on the combine clips but my memory hardly reaches that far back, at least the names started with a W :D:D

Is it not a bit odd that he stayed as the right tackle then?

J-Raw24 likes this.
  7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

: (
    Trade Quinnen Williams for a guy who had cancer surgery on his scalp (had helmet-fitting issues afterwards), who will be 32 to start the season, who hasn't played since?......and when are no physicals currently being conducted.

sure, why not.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I get your point, and I admit it's a possibility that he would do something like that, but to me it's a very remote one. However, if he did, I would give him the benefit of the doubt, while remaining troubled by it. We need so much talent, and to burn a chance to add to that on the chance - keep in mind there are NO "sure things" - that he would get out LT for the next 10-15 years is too much of a gamble. Especially when there are several other candidates that might be just as good (or better).

All that said, I think many of us here are going to be surprised by his picks.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, you are a TRUE Jets fan!:D

Attackett and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

No I hear ya, it's a long shot. He'd have to see a LT he felt was the real deal. After landing a FQB, protecting his blind side for the next 10-15 yrs becomes the most important thing a GM can do.

IF, on the other hand, Joe see a few good tackles on the list but nothing truly special, he may very well get us 1 or 2 top WRs for Sam instead.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  11. J-Raw24

I think he will do both. We will get a tackle and 1-2 receivers.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think that Douglas is the type of GM to "fall in love" with players. I don't think Ozzie ever did that, and he has such a big influence on Douglas, that I don't think he will, either. Trading up is generally a fool's game. Even if you are right about the player, he may never play up to value, and if you were wrong and he busts or just proves to be a "meh" type player in the NFL, you've really hurt yourself and the team. It's an acceptable risk when you already have a strong, deep team, and only have one glaring need, but not generally.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I've watched a lot of tape on him, both highlight tapes and complete games. He already looks very good to me. The thing that bothered me on some plays is that he would just give the defender he was assigned to block a shove (back several yards) and that was it. He didn't stay engaged on the block. It looked like he was just taking it easy or was tired. Sometimes those players would wind up making tackles. Most of the time he stayed engaged in his blocks until the whistle blew, and the times he didn't, he knocked his player down or way out of the way, and then he looked to block someone else. It looked to me like the rest of Louisville's OL was crap, however. Sometimes Becton would destroy his man and then look to go take on a LB or DB, when he should have turned and looked to see if any of his OL mates needed help with their man. That's not necessarily a flaw or fault, however, as that could have been the play design or the way he was coached.

14. J-Raw24

I agree he need to be taught to stay engaged and finish his man. Some of the plays you see him going to the next level are because Louisville was a run first team last year. They don't have Teddy B anymore and when they had Jackson they would run more than pass and its stayed the same. His assignment was probably to block through and run block. But if you watch the obvious passing plays he engages and stay well most the time. He is also very raw and you can tell in how he uses his size/strength over technique. He does have bad technique but if you watch Thomas then him you see a huge difference. He needs a good coach (not sure we have that). But his feet move better than anyone I've seen his size. Quick, fluid. He knows how to punch for running but has the arm length, agility, and strength to be the best OT in the draft. Highest potential for sure.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Obviously you did not read my entire post-- Go back and reread--I said Washington would have had to pony up OL Trent Williams AND their 2nd round pick in 2020, which is a high selection. The jets need CBs, WRs, OL and edge rushers--I don't think Q. Wiilliams plays any of those positions--The jets usually play a 3-4 defense, which does not require many DL. The jets have plenty of DL and did not need Q. Williams last year when MacIdiot wasted that #3 overall pick on him--MacIdiot could have secured a bonanza for the # overall 3 pick LAST year (kind of like the way the Colts fleeced MacIdiot in 2018 for the #3 overall pick). You probably think MacIdiot was smart in spending the #3 pick in the draft on a interior defensive lineman like Q. Williams when the jets play primarily a 3-4 defense. That's WHY Q.Williams will likely do squat with the jets-- DL in a 3-4 defense are supposed to occupy blockers, not penetrate, which is why lower round picks like Foley F. and Nathan S. can do the same job without spending the #3 pick in the draft like MacIdiot did. Actually, IMO Foley F. and Sheppard played BETTER than Q. Williams did last year. I say get something for Q. Williams NOW while he still has some value, or watch him become another Leonard Williams. When evaluating this proposed trade, Washington would also factor in Q. Williams recent gun arrest and possible suspension--I am not sure Washington would even ACCEPT the proposed trade, although you scoff that it is so obviously one-sided for the Redskins. But, since you only read part of other people's posts before you comment...

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .why? . that post was dumb and this post's even dumber

17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Nice comeback, Joe! You make fun of my initial post without even reading the whole thing--Then, when I point that out, all you can do is call both my posts "dumb and even dumber?" I am really glad we have the benefit of your thoughtful, well-reasoned analysis on this message board, Joe! Hey, feel free to respond to this post, too. You can have the last word, Joe! Not sure what we would do without your insight, Joe!

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This would be awful. IMO

1. We are not a 3-4 defense. We HAD been a 3-4 defense. Last year we primarily had 3-4 players, the DC isn't primarily a 3-4 guy at all. That whole basis doesn't make sense.
    2. The past is the past. That doesn't mean you trade a potential young stud for peanuts just because you think we have too many DL players or because you think he Isn't a good fit for a 3-4 defense.
    3. You don't think he will do squat, based on your inaccurate assumption that the Jets primarily play a 3-4. That is not the main defensive scheme that Gregg Williams used last year.
    4. He had ups and downs as a ROOKIE. It happens... You are over reacting entirely based on little to nothing. None of us can truly say just how good this kid will/wont be.
    5. You're clearly effected by what happened with Leonard Williams. Just because It happened with him (He was still a solid player, just not worth the selection), doesn't mean the same result will happen with Q.
    6. We would be giving up WAY too much. Not worth it.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You're being too emotional. What do you want me to do, rubber-stamp this craziness?

1. "The Colts fleeced 'Macidiot' for the #3 overall pick."
    Maccagnan wisely made that trade well before the draft. Had he made the trade at the 11th hour he'd have had to give up more.
    He used the pick to draft Sam Darnold: we should all be so fleeced.

2. Trading a rusty, damaged goods, long-in-the-tooth Trent Williams (and a no-guarantee 2nd) for an ascending talent.

The OP's premise was bad enough without making things worse by not only trading for a very tenuous OL but then throwing away an Outland Trophy winner who's a full 10 years younger and whose career has barely begun? Nuts.

2nd round Jet-guaranteed greatness:
    - hackenberg
    - devin smith
    - jace amaro
    - vlad ducasse
    - stephen hill

"DL in a 3-4 are supposed t..."
    Thank you for your insight as well, but spare me remedial takes on a 3-4.....lol

...and sorry if I came off sounding like a dick

#59 joe, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Appreciate your insight. The OP started this thread wondering what picks we should surrender for Trent. IMO the jets should stockpile picks, not surrender them, and that was my point. You seem to really emphasize that the jets did not and will not be playing much 3-4 defense. If that is true, I am unsure why they have pursued and signed so many INSIDE linebackers recently . They currently have Mosely, Williamson, Cashman, Burgess, Hewitt, and Onwuasor as ILB, the last 3 just recently signed or resigned. I realize Williamson may be a cap casualty, but that still is a lot of INSIDE linebackers for a team not playing a 3-4 defense, as you assert. Anyway, we will see. I still think Q. Williams was an insane pick by Maccagnan last year, when he could have ransomed that pick for so much more. I also don't think Q. showed much of anything last year, and that Foley and Sheppard outplayed him. And Q's recent gun arrest is a bit troubling. But I hope he improves this season. Actually, I hope we even have a football season--Herbstreit predicted just this week that there will be no pro or college football in 2020. Be safe, jets fans!

IIMeanDeanII likes this.