One more thing (Joe needs to "overpay" for one player - Trent Williams)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsGoFar, Mar 28, 2020.

1. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

Hey fellow Jets fans,

Hope all of you are healthy during these crazy times.

TRADE one of our 3rd round picks for LT Trent Willams.

In my opinion, Joe Douglas has done a FANTASTIC job so far, but his most important work is ahead. The draft is filled with great wide receivers this year, and only 4-5 "potentially" great tackles available in the first round.

I sincerely believe that we need to focus this draft on the skill level positions that we lack the most of right now (WR, Edge, CB).

In myopinion, Joe Douglas looked at George Fant's tape and athleticism, his arrow pointing up, and signed him as a pseudo #1 pick at tackle. His time with the Seahawks could be looked at as his college time as he was so new to the position and to football in general. He showed great promise throughout last year, especially at the end of his year. His athleticism is off the charts and he can play both tackle spots. So, it got me thinking about him and Edoga needing to be around the best player possible at tackle possible to see how it's done.

That is Trent Williams. Nasty, athletic, smart, just one tough SOB with a tremendous pro-bowl pedigree. Almost like getting an Alan Faneca, except still in his prime. We have the money to get it done. At this point, the numbers being thrown out there are ridiculous ($20M). He will never get that. But here's what I would do.

2 years, $28M, $20M guaranteed. Trade 3rd round pick to the Redskins. Then, release Brian Winters.

LT Williams/Fant/Edoga
    LG Alex Lewis/Van Roten/McGovern
    C McGovern/Harrison/Andrews
    RG Van Roten/Alex Lewis/Edoga
    RT Fant/Edoga/Williams

That's 8 offensive lineman that are dynamic and are athletic enough to play multiple positions across the line if needed. Gives Fant and Edoga the room to still play and grow while learning from one of the top tackles to play over the past decade. DOMINANT.

If Fant is the real deal, he takes over the left tackle spot in year 3 of his deal, and we would look to extend him in the off-season prior to year 3.

Just as important is we can now take most likely who we feel is best available wideouts in round one (both Lamb and Jeudy could be available at that spot). In rounds 2-4, Joe D could consider taking a corner, edge, and another wideouts to cover the remaining holes where we need to build. (I would love Gandy-Golden in the 4th round. Imagine not needing to draft O-Line this year since we still have 2 developmental players in Fant and Edoga.

Imagine Lamb/Jeudy in the 1st, Bryce Hall in the 2nd, Josh Uche in the 3rd, and Gandy-Golden in the 4th? How happy would that make you? I know I would be ecstatic!

That is possible if we just get Trent Williams done.

Go Jets!

2. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

Also, if we can get Williams, we cut Winters and Williamson, and there's the money for his contract! We would still have more than enough cap space to front load a Jamal Adams extension, and sign our draft picks. Let's forget about Jadeveon Clowney tough...please lol.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Wouldn't we be paying Fant18m to do nothing for 2 years then?

Williams good player before cancer and a year to 18 months off, will he return as good and can we risk 20m and a 3rd in a stacked draft to find out?

No.

4. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

Respect your opinion, but need to correct you on one point.

Fant would be our starting right tackle if Trent came. So, wouldn't be paying $18M for "nothing". Now, f he couldn't beat out Edoga at right tackle, then we cut him after year one with basically no cap hit. But I would expect him to beat out Edoga easily due to his athleticism, size, long arms etc. To me, Edoga can be a good swing backup only, when needed to start for a game or two.

We have the cap space, should use it on short term deals to improve now while we develop our draft picks moving forward. In my opinion, worth the money, his cancer is removed and dude is athletic as hell with a mean streak. Would be BIG for Sam and Le'Veon.

K'OB and tomdeb like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Fant has an out after the first year.

Rumor mill is saying Trent doesn't need 20M. At best I'll give them a 4th and a conditional pick next year.

FJF likes this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I like your analysis. But I would not trade ANY draft picks for T. Williams. I would offer jets DL Q. Wiilliams as trade bait IF Washington gives us Trent AND Washington's 2nd round pick. I understand Washington might view that as too steep, but I would not take less-- if they want to move Trent bad enough, they might do it. Q. Williams was a STUPID pick at #3 overall since the jets play primarily a 3-4 defense. Move him while he has some value, or watch him become another Leonard Williams.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would rather give less money to Clowney and keep all of our draft picks than give up anything for Trent Williams.

If we want an over the hill left tackle Jason Peters or Andrew Whitworth would be a better stop gap until we find our guy later.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We should never overpay for any player. I don't think what you're proposing is overpaying.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

I am totally down with Jason Peters if we can get him. Peters is not in Trent Williams' league though. I guess my point is, we still have a ton of cap space, and I'd rather get who Joe D considers the #1 wide receiver in the draft than the 4th or 5th best tackle in the draft. I really do look at Fant equivalent to what I would expect for any tackle we could draft at #11.

10. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

I don't think it's really overpaying either, except the guaranteed money is more than usual in my idea AND it's more than most teams would be willing to pay at this stage in free agency. If I had to choose between Trent Williams $14M and a 3rd round pick OR paying Clowney $18M+, I would not hesitate to get the Williams deal done. At least he brings it EVERY PLAY and would give Sam superior protection on his blind side.

Noam likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with your statement that Joe Douglas has done a FANTASTIC job so far. I also agree that we have needs at WR, CB and Edge.

I totally disagree that we need to focus on those in the draft, and especially disagree that we should trade a 3rd round pick for Trent Williams. That's insane. I wouldn't even trade a 6th round pick for him with the amount of money he wants. He will be 32 when the season starts. A 3rd round pick at a minimum should be a quality backup and role player, if not a solid starter, and maybe even a topflight starter. You don't trade that for a player that may only have 2-3 good years left (if that), who hasn't played in almost two years. You don't trade that high a draft pick for a player that old that you have to sign to a new contract, especially when he wants a TON of money. He hasn't played since 2018. There's no telling if he's healthy, what kind of shape he's in, and I seriously doubt that the Jets would be able to sign him for $14 million a year. Even if the could, I don't think they have that cap space. They'd have to release both Winters and Avery Williamson to get it. I don't think anyone will pay him $20 million a year.

Also in your scenario, Fant wouldn't be the LT until he was 30. Sorry, but that's just nuts.

Gandy-Golden is not that good WR prospect imo. I can name at least 10, if not 15 WRs I'd rather have than him.

#11 NCJetsfan, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We do NOT have a ton of cap space. You're wrong about that.

Douglas could very easily decide to take the #1 WR regardless of which OT is there at #11 anyway. He doesn't need to go against what has made him fantastic so far and make a bad trade, just so he can draft a WR. If you really think he's done a FANTASTIC job so far, then you shouldn't think he should deviate from the way he's handled FA so far.

13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Title reads like Manish click bait..

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Nasty, athletic, smart and hasn't played in two years on the wrong side of 30. No thanks. I'd rather overpay Clowney than him.

15. K'OB

Yes, fair point and happy to concede that, I was just thinking of him as the left tackle spot tbh :D

16. K'OB

Yes, we argued about Bell missing a season but in reality about 18 months, I thought it would have refreshed him and you not but again I am happy to concede that last season for various reasons he didn't look like the player for the Steelers, could be the OL, the play calling and losing a little snap from his stride or in all honesty all three together.

I still saw Bell battling hard at times for extra yards so it wasn't a man bag full of cash and no motivation that was the problem and as good as Williams was I am not sure I want to see us risk a 2 year high money deal but certainly not a 3rd pick, there is likely to be plenty of top talent for a GM with a good eye in that round.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's an interesting proposition, @JetsGoFar. I like it. Protect Sam's blindside and still get him a #1 weapon like Jeudy or Lamb. Music to my ears! I think a 3rd Round Pick would be fair compensation too. I just wonder if that is Joe Douglas' philosophy or not? Feels like he would rather build through the draft than send picks away for Williams. Have to assume his contract demands are why a deal hasn't been made yet. There is no reason for the Redskins to accept an offer they don't want right now, with most of the world paused anyway.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

In reality it was 21 months. Three months shy of a year. He didn't appear in preseason either.

I don't think it was a secured bag case. Bell played hard. I think his game suffered from all of the missed time. There's no shape like football shape and football workouts. I don't really care how hard he personally trained.

The offensive line was awful and definitely a big factor. But his foot speed looked slow. His whole game is predicated on patience and then quick decisiveness into the hole when he identifies it. He didn't have a ton of holes but when he did he was still hesitant and not quick enough to exploit it.

I think a big part of this is having lost a bit of feel for the game; which is what made him great. Don't forget that he played pretty much his whole career with the same offensive line. So it was a perfect storm for him not to adjust to the new offensive line especially after taking 21 months off.

Oh and the offensive line was fucking horrible. But either way. Trent Williams situation should make us the most hesitant franchise of the other 30 non-Redskins teams because we just gambled on a player in a similar situation. Only Trent Williams missed the playing time due to a potentially extremely serious ailment.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Clowney doesnt want to play for the Jets

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I just can't see JoeD passing on Tackle at 11. Just can't.

If you think it's hard getting a good one THIS year, think about next year when we're drafting maybe 19th, then the next year drafting 25th, etc.

This may be the last chance we have at getting a good LT in the draft at a fair price. It may be the only path to paying Adams/Sam. And after this season, Q will be one season away from asking to re-do HIS contract. I know many don't like/want him (I do), BUT if he explodes as our own Aaron Darnold, then things can change quickly. Getting a quality LT for 'free' gives JoeD that flexibility.

I just can't see Joe passing on a tackle. If anything, I can see Joe trading up to get the one he wants. It's THAT important.

If a GM can cross FQB and stud LT off the list in the first yr of a 6 yr contract, it's game on folks.

That gives him 5 yrs to get his Lawrence Taylor before getting his ring finger fitted.