Joe Douglas and curious case of 1 year deals...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

He wants DWC to fall in love with guys who’ll sign elsewhere next season because he’s a sadistic fuck and likes to torture us.

jixxjr, NYJFOREVER, chandler and 4 others like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nothing short of brilliant! Compare JDs strategy to the over the top FA deals Mac gave to lazy Mo Mevi$ and $heldon R as well as the missed opportunities Idzik made

As a number of posters have already indicated, it all about motivating players to play for a higher contract with the Jets or another team..

So one year "prove it deals" means you have to EARN any higher compensation today

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It is funny seeing posters on here calling these moves "curious" and wondering what Douglas is doing.

This is called building a franchise that can sustain winning for years. It is something we are all clearly not used to, hence this thread LOL

4. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Let’s call him Hungry Joe. He doesn’t appear to Sloppy Joe, at least.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Flexibility
    Players desire for short deals right now
    Chance of comp picks

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

On the bright side we should have enough cap space to go all in on a starting pro bowl level left tackle and / or pass rusher next year in free agency.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

a 3 time pro bowl pass rusher is available right now

BleedGreen4ever likes this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yup! And we need him!

BleedGreen4ever likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hopefully we are drafting a LT at 11. Then address EDGE in next year's draft.

10. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I love the short term, low risk high reward type of deals. Fill needs year to year--keep those players motivated and playing for a new contract for the following. While doing this, you ensure you have cap flexibility year to year, so you can resign homegrown talent like Adams, Darnold (if he pans out), Herndon...and you can land the big fish when they are available in free agency (Mosely, a cornerstone Left Tackle or shut down corner). This is why getting Clowney on a short term deal makes a lot of sense! Like I said before, this strategy requires hitting on draft picks and I think we have a good front office to pick the right guys (JD, Savage, Chad Alexander, Hogan etc.)

11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Yes! My only concern is will there be a true LT available when we pick....we need to play it safe on this pick...getting a project is not worth the risk. I think Jedrik Wills, Wirfs or Andrew Thomas are fairly safe picks....Beckton has huge upside but he's pretty raw and you don't want to run the risk of Vlad Ducasse 2.0.

It is a bit deflating that we sit just outside of that top 10--but you can't play for a draft pick every year.

I think you either go for a safe Olineman with a lot of starter experience, go with the best WR, or trade down.

You do NOT reach for a pass rusher here...there's a huge drop off after Chase Young.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My response exactly. He plans to build thru the draft, first and foremost, and plug immediate holes thru free agency in a shorter term deal.. Next year, rinse and repeat with hopefully a better base and less holes. Expensive long term vets hamper the process when you have many needs while reducing your cap by a bunch. It's something that you do when you are one critical position away from being a great team capable of winning it all. We are far from it.

Pags2112, Br4d, NYJetsO12 and 4 others like this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe Chase Young is overrated, he got most of his sacks in two games 4 vs Wisconsin and 3 vs Penn State, he was shut down against Clemson. I understand hidden production but for a guy who is going to be drafted possibly top 5 hidden production is not what teams need.

They need a guy who is a disruptive player like Khalil Mack.

I can tell you this, Joe will not draft a defensive player with the 11th pick.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's possible he gets an edge rusher in the middle rounds who could become a rich man's Jordan Jenkins and grabs an edge rusher in the early rounds next year. Need as many pass rushers so that opposing offenses can't simply look to neutralize one.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The players will receive a bonus game check When the schedule goes to 17 games. They will not be making less money.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Can be interpreted many ways. I think it is a combo of all.

1. Before free agency what do the Jets need?

a. Olinemen: We need them. Be nice to have gotten Thuney, Conklin, Glasgow etc: We didn't. So he went with the Bills approach. Sign the second tier offensive linemen who are good NFL linemen. Don't sign them to long term deals because I want to build through the draft and if I draft someone I can release someone with no long term money. I can also pick up Jason Peters if need be or hope I can trade a third for Trent Williams (wait out Washington). If this is the case we can think about trading back in the draft and taking the best wr or linemen.

b. WR: I'd like Robby but not overspend. Perriman is good. Maybe not as good as Robby but he can play his role. Good second option. The draft has good receivers. We'll get a couple and be good.

Edge cb: We'll draft one but if we get some at the right price we'll do it. Example: Jenkins and Desir and now maybe Clowney.

Douglas comes from Baltimore. Besides signing their own they rarely signed a big name free agent. They signed tier two players got the best from them. Created a great culture and that is what Douglas is trying to do. Build from the draft. Reward our own. Don't overspend. It's ok to lose our own. We have a price in mind.

I think he is hoping he gets 3-4 starters/contributors this draft can bump a few of the one year deals away, sign tier two guys to help in weaker areas to minimal deals the year after and then get another 3-4 starters. Could be wrong but just my thinking from what I'm seeing and where he came from.

Br4d and Brook! like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Becton's a little raw, but not as raw as you make it sound, and he's bigger, more athletic/agile than Thomas or Wills, and has a higher ceiling. He is not a project. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous.

I agree that the Jets first round pick has to be an OT, WR or trade down and then take one of those two positions. IMO no other position would be acceptable in the 1st round even though we need an edge rusher and a CB. The pick HAS to be offense.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

JD's approach is only "curious" when viewed against decades of the Jets not taking this very sensible approach.

Keep going the way you're going Curious Joe!

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. DefenseWinsChampionships

And have needed one dating back 2006 since John Abraham.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Save Sam in 2020/Build a Championship Team.

Those are two different goals, equally important but one happens right now and one happens a bit later on.

That partly explains all the 1 year deals. The only signing the Jets have made so far that is in both plans is Conor McGovern.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.