Jets sign Breshad Perriman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The only historical fiction is your belief that Gase's time in Miami is somehow impacting Douglas' ability to sign free agents

rohirrim665 likes this.
  2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I dunno I think Beachum was our best OL last year. Not sure why hasn't been brought back unless he's asking for too much. I would prefer Beachum back plus a draftee at 11 to compete with Fant and Edoga who are both average at best.

We really need to stop fucking around with the OL or we are going to completely ruin Darnold.

Pepsiguy5 and boozer32 like this.
  3. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Perrimans last 5 games....the guy played like a star receiver. Not sure what his speed is, but he's not a 150 lb toothpick like Robby either. Y

ou look at Perrimans YPC the past two seasons...when the guy gets the ball in his hands those are large chunks of yardage going down the field

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'll quote myself and put an asterisk on the whole encouraging statement that it was a small sample size and it wasn't a ton of production. But he looked a lot better than I thought he would in that situation.

Not a huge dropoff from Robby A. Same play style. Bigger and stronger though probably not as fast on the field in a straight line.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  5. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Good replacement for Anderson has speed to burn and upside.

Sadly I don’t know if he has the deep ball tracking ability of Anderson..... I don’t think many do. But he has a chance to prove himself on a one year deal and finished last season extremely strong! JET UP!

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I don't like Edoga at atckle. He should be at guard.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. boozer32

Perriman was a one year wonder. Which Perriman are we getting?

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sam better be on point with his deep ball. Robby was very good at tracking the ball down the field.

twown and Ralebird like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets may have lucked out with Perriman too. Some Wide Receivers take time to Adjust to the NFL. His first 3 years in Baltimore, then Cleveland, he was nothing special, despite being the #26 overall pick in the draft. Something clicked in Tampa Bay and hopefully it continues in New York. The potential is definitely there.

10. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I don't get the excitement for a player that ended last year on a good note but hasn't done much other than that.

Hoping for good things. Sam needs weapons.

11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

:eek:
    If you say so!

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The Bucs had Perriman running the complete route tree, he was running digs and ins....basically imagine how the Jets used Demaryius Thomas this year, and plug in a big bodied WR like Perriman with his blazing speed. He won’t be used strictly as a guy like Robby who mostly ran go routes...

13. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

that good year was last year, not 3 years ago. He came on strong when he was used more, only played aprox. 56% of the snaps.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t even consider him as a guard right now, he has a ton more development to do.
    Better off bringing back Winters if they plan on using Edoga as a starter.

Jake likes this.
  15. boozer32

I don't view Edoga as starting material. If he had to play at all it should be at guard. He is not big enough for either tackle position. Winters I hope is gone from the Jets.

Pepsiguy5, SOJAZ, tomdeb and 3 others like this.
  16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yep I’ve been thinking that all along even before they lost Anderson. 2 WRs in this rich class and both may be after round 1. Can still find two WR studs after a LT.

#96 mrjet80, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Winters is most likely a goner. I personally am not a fan of a Edoga either but he needs another training camp and some more reps before they should toss him. They are really short in the OT dept right now unfortunately. My hope is they draft their LT of the future in round 1, he ( whichever OT it is ) shows enough to start at one of the OT positions and Fant slides over to the opposite side. I also have a sneaking suspicion they’re drafting another OT later on as more competition for either RT or just plain depth. Trey Adams would be a steal if still available in the 6th round.....

boozer32, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

Neither do I, but does he even have Guard experience? Because I know @ USC he was protecting QB's @ tackle and didn't allow sacks. I'd rather not play O-Lineman out of position. I don't want a tackle @ Center trying to snap the ball, a guard @ tackle and/or a tackle trying to road grader @ guard etc. Creates too many complications due to NFL learning curves.

19. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

With Perriman over Anderson the Jets save $4-6M, which can be used toward signing draft picks. Would be surprised if Jeudy drops is not gone by #11, but Lamb should be available. Would prefer to draft an OL in the Top 5 picks, like Jets did back in the day with Marvin Powell and Chris Ward. At #11, better off going after a #1 WR, which is desperately needed. Jets offense needs some legitimate star power, since they have not been very interesting to watch the past few seasons.

SOJAZ and Br4d like this.
  20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It is not revealed by the league, even to the teams. The Ravens famously have more or less figured it out, or so it is said. There is quite a bit known about it, and it is quite complicated even when you don’t count what is unknown.

Here is a fantastic breakdown, although a lengthy one from OverTheCap.com:
    https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Essentially, key factors are:
    -The signing of new players and loss of players to other teams must basically take place between the start of the new league year and the draft.
    -The contract must have expired, and must not be the result of a cut/release.
    -As of the 2020 CBA, only players who’s contracts are within the top 35% of the league count towards the formula.
    -It is not total spent on new players vs total spent on lost players. Each player who qualifies has a round value, and can potentially cancel each other out.
    -There are only ever 32 comp picks, so the formula can never be quite the same each year, as you cannot control what other teams do.

One thing that is wise that Douglas is doing is that anyone who has a breakout year on a 1 year contract will likely garner a comp pick valuation in the future. With so many 1 year deals, you increase the possibility of getting one. Although I think this is just part of his rationale for the 1 year lengths.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know and I can try to answer them.