Jets 2020 Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 20, 2020.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Whoever wins the XFL championship might give this roster a run for their money.

We need quantity and quality.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

JD needs to get to work on this offense, wow does it look bad.

James Hasty likes this.
  3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The worst roster in football....

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We need a Corner to....I dont know what his Draft plans are but we have major holes across the board still.I also hear we made Clowney an offer.The problem is no one wants to play for Gase...Top Free Agents do not want to play for this guy..

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Imagine looking at this roster, knowing who our coach is, and then claiming the AFC East is wide open.

James Hasty likes this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Our needs for CB, WR, OL, OLB, and backup QB are all huge.

I really hope our front office has a plan to deal with this mess.

7. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

We are in the driver's seat for Robby now. I'd say $9M per year, 3 to 4 year deal. Give him a two or three year out if necessary.

I kind of look at Fant as our LT 1st round draft pick this year. His first few years in the league were almost like his college years as he converted and learned the position under NFL coaching tutelage. The athleticism is amazing, almost Wirfs like.

I'd love to get Jason Peters on a 2 year deal if possible to bring some veteran savvy, start if necessary.

If we can secure another vet tackle AND Lamb or Jeudy are available, I'd rather go WR in round 1 and then tackle or guard in round two.

I'd like to see Curry, Wake, or Clay signed as well for edge and resign Brandon Copeland for 3 yrs, $5-6M (he has improved). I'd look for edge help (Uche?) in round 3 to possibly replace those guys as starter in 2+ years.

WR Jeudy/Lamb
    WR Robby Anderson
    WR Jamison Crowder
    Backups: Doctson/D.Thomas/Berrios
    Then, maybe Vyncent Smith or Jeff Smith if they can contribute well on special teams. I am also intrigued by Gandy-Golden if we want to draft another wideout.

For corner, get Logan Ryan, draft best available corner with 2nd 3rd round pick (Bryce Hall?), let Bless and Maulet fight out for CB2 and keep Roberts around through camp in case there are injuries before the season starts. Having Poole back is BIG.

I'd sign Corey Clement to have him and Josh backup Le'Veon. Draft a speed RB in rounds 4-5 that can play special teams immediately.

#27 JetsGoFar, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  8. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

This is definitely the off-season to lock down Jamal. We have the money to do it, and need to do it now as we need to prepare for Sam's extension in a year or two as well.

The big-time deals this free agency did not impress me. Slay and Bradberry are good, but not Revis good and definitely not worth the contract values they got.

Would have preferred they traded Maye for a 2nd rounder and signed Clinton-Dix to that deal because we can't afford Maye if he stays healthy again this year. Not him and Jamal.

We usually win the offeason and then get 5-7 wins. I'm OK with letting Joe do his thing.

Using veteran stopgaps that can help the Jets build their culture through leadership and passion while they draft well is better than throwing money at good players now that have never won at any consistent level and can't provide that leadership and experience.

Build that culture Joe so we can stop this rollercoaster inconsistency year to year and a ride that never seems to go anywhere.

Go Jets!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Doubling down on it.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Still have free agency, draft and still plenty of vet cuts to be made.

JetsGoFar likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent point. I have to assume this is what Douglas is doing. Hopefully, if he finds replacements and needs more cap space, he will cut Winters, Roberts, and Bellamy, and even trade Avery Williamson. That would free up around an additional $22 million (Winters $7,281,250, Williamson $6.5 million, Roberts $6 million, Bellamy $2.25 million) if overthecap.com is accurate.

#31 NCJetsfan, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    J-Raw24 likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

There's no reason to cut those players. They have friendly contracts and then you just force yourself into needing to find a replacement.

Even if Winters ends up being a backup, then we have the best backup guard in the NFL. We're nowhere near in the position to be cutting legitimate NFL offensive lineman. We need to stockpile them like Buffalo did last year and let them fight it out.

You cut Williamson and start Hewitt or Cashman and subtract their contract and you're saving $2-3 million for a worse player.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I really can’t understand the desire to get rid of Williamson. He’s a fantastic LB and cutting him does nothing considering what’s left on the market. Mosley and Williamson is one of the best tandems in the league on paper and I can’t wait to see it in person.

MDJets and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  14. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I think your overpricing Maye. He's a mediocre safety. They normally don't get paid a lot. Last year and the year before safeties were having trouble getting signed. Jamal is a different story he will make a lot. He's a star. Maye is good but not great and most people don't know who he is. He won't demand big bucks. He will make average safety money, which isn't that big.

15. NCJetsfan

and

Hopefully, you're right about Robby.

Good point about Fant. I think that he's going to surprise a lot of people (in a good way) and be a good player for us. But he may not even wind up starting. He may wind up being our swing tackle and depth. It's possible Edoga could beat him out at RT and if the Jets draft an OT at #11, that OT could beat him out as well.

I understand your points about the culture and veteran leadership, but there are several problems with that. One, is when you do that, you aren't developing young players for the future. Two, what those older players have in experience can be offset by younger, hungrier, more energetic, and perhaps more talented young players. Three, those older, experienced players from winning traditions are generally more expensive than younger players. For certain, every team needs some graybeards for leadership and experience, but imo you are advocating way too many. In addition, we don't have the cap space to sign all those, even if we cut Winters, Roberts, and Bellamy and trade Avery Williamson. Then we have to have replacements for them.

If we want to draft another wideout? Seriously? This could be the greatest draft ever for WRs, and you aren't sure you want to take one, and the one you named isn't nearly as good a prospect as many others? This is the only point where I strongly disagree with you, and urge you to re-think your position. Josh Doctson has been a bust. I hope you aren't counting on him for making the roster, much less a big contribution. Berrios is a STer and really shouldn't even see the field on offense unless he gets a lot better. Jeff Smith is probably not going to make the team. Vyncint Smith has some potential, but he should be the next-to-the-last option to see the field ahead of Berrios. For Sam to develop into a FQB, we need to surround him with better receiving talent. Not only does Sam not need to be running for his life and needs more time to scan the field, but he needs WRs who can get open, and preferably quickly.

I agree with you regarding the big-name FA CBs. I'm surprised that someone hasn't signed Logan. He has been a very productive and consistent player in his career, and $10 million isn't that much for a good CB. There must be some other issue about him that we don't know. If not, hopefully, his price will come down and the Jets can sign him to replace Roberts.

Keeping Roberts around through TC is a good idea in terms of insurance, but the problem with keeping Roberts around is that he isn't very good and with his $6 million in cap space, the Jets could sign two good role players, or perhaps one starter.

I disagree that Maye is going to be that expensive. He's had injury issues, and has been good when healthy and able to play, but not all-world. Trading him would just have created another hole, and then Dix, while very good, is probably a LOT more expensive than Maye, which would eat up cap space.

I think that we'll wind up with an edge rusher. It's interesting to see just how much FA has slowed down. I don't recall it ever slowing down this much this quickly. It's not just us, hardly any players have been signed the last day or so.

Interesting posts and good points. Thanks.

16. NCJetsfan

Obviously, I disagree. I'm not saying cut them just because, but because I think they can be replaced with better players. Roberts was awful last year. If he was cut, Douglas could sign Logan Ryan, a player who has been very consistently productive and who has only missed 8 games in 7 years, and who has had 78 passes defensed, 17 interceptions, 8 FFs, and 367 tackles. Frankly, I'm puzzled why no team has signed Ryan yet. $10 million is very reasonable for a quality starting CB. I'm really curious what value Douglas places on Ryan.

Winters can't stay healthy, and is only average at best, and possibly below average.

I think Avery Williamson is a luxury we can't afford. I think Hewitt/Cashman could fill his spot quite well (as they did last year), and with that money we could fill another hole.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think Bellamy has contributed that much even on STs, and that's the primary reason he was signed. I can understand holding onto him until a replacement can be found, or maybe just keeping him because he's not that expensive.

Again, I'm not going to be upset if Douglas doesn't make any of these moves. Ultimately, I trust him. I'm just stating what I would do if I were the GM.

I can also think of one compelling reason to cut those players: Yannick Ngakoue. At present, I don't think we could trade for him and fit him under our cap. Cutting some or all of the players I mentioned would give us the needed cap space.

17. NCJetsfan

Yes, it's a great tandem on paper. The thing is that I doubt the Jets will re-sign Williamson next offseason. He will walk, and we'll probably lose him and get nothing in return. He's a luxury this season. If we were truly a strong playoff contender, then of course we'd keep him, but we aren't. His cap space could be used to sign another starter to fill a hole or sign a depth player or two to fill a hole or holes and improve our overall talent and depth who could help us for several years, not just this year. I think that Hewitt/Cashman can fill Williamson's spot very well and there not be much, if any, drop off.

18. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I think Bellamy and Roberts are both useless and a waste of cap space.

Winters should go if we get a replacement. If we draft a tackle or guard or find one in FA. I would move on. If the FO and Coaching staff want Edoga to play I would feel a lot more comfortable with him at RG than RT. But he may take a step up, we don't know. He was thrown to the wolves.

Williamson I tend to agree with. If we can get some trade compensation and save 6.5 million, I think it's a win. If we get a 4th or 5th that's another chance to upgrade a position of need, not to mention the money to sign someone.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Roberts is an easy cut. I have no problem with that he sucks. Bellamy too.

But if you cut Williamson you hurt the linebacker depth and downgrade the position to save $4 million if you factor in what you're paying Hewitt.

I can see a defense where Hewitt, Williamson and Mosely are all on the field too. It's just silly to get rid of a good player when we're not strapped for cap space.

Winters too. He's an NFL starting lineman. Even if the 30th-35th best guard in the league. We need those guys here.

20. NCJetsfan

Yes cutting Williams would hurt the depth, but it would save $6.5 million, not $4 million. Hewitt's here regardless, so I don't get how you figure a $2.5 million discount. You didn't mention the most important reason for trading him...i.e., the fact that he's going to be a FA next year and we lose him for nothing. What's the point of keeping him for one more season? Would it even insure us of winning another game or two? No. If we trade him, even for only a 4th round pick, we could get a player who is a quality role player, and possible starter, who could help the team for the next 5-10 years. The whole deal is rebuilding the team for sustainable success, building the team for the future so we can be true competitors for the Lombardi Trophy. Keeping Williamson this year doesn't help us one bit towards that goal. (If we by some miracle we were to win the Lombardi Trophy this year and Williamson plays a big role in that, I will recant and say that you were right.) To the contrary, he is actually a hindrance to that goal in that he is costing us an asset, an additional draft pick that we could use to build the team for 2020 and beyond.

I don't think that Winters is anywhere near the 30-35th best guard in the league. I could be wrong, but I think he's more in the 40s, maybe even the 50s.