The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

BS. You show me something suggesting that and I'll believe it.

Mac was getting played like a fiddle from the start.

This is night and day and it's obvious.

Make me a believer. I'll wait.

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Not me. I hope they both fail.

I hope that Bill Belichick becomes exposed without Tom Brady.

And...

I hope that Tom Brady gets physically destroyed behind TB's O-Line and breaks down right in front of my eyes (living down here in Tampa Bay).

Mr mittens likes this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That's the thing. The results I've stated up to this point have been strictly based around taking advantage of FA the right way. Knowing a players worth and being understood as a team that will not be jerked around.

We have not been a team, for many years, that have navigated FA and the draft the right way. It's been obvious just how far we've been from this other consistently good to great teams over the years in these aspects of team building.

JD has changed that from the start. He has already established a new culture for business and it's amazing to me.

I'm even more excited for the draft after the way he has handled FA so far.

You can tell this is a no nonsense kind of guy who knows how to build the right way in FA. I'm extremely impressed.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Why not be greedy and hope they both fall on their asses?

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

While I do think it’s a good thing Robby’s market is shit, it might not be all that great because if he’s going to accept a one year deal, why would he do it with us? Ravens, Niners, Packers, Patriots probably would all come calling.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Because with the Jets he has more leeway than with other teams.

If he comes back to the Jets and has an average season, maybe 50 catches for 750 yards and 5 TD's he'll still be a guy the team might lock up for 3 or 4 years with some guaranteed money.

If he goes elsewhere on a prove it deal and then does what he's been doing he could easily be on the skids next season in the same situation he is in now. His new team not interested in a long term deal and the Jets already having the spot filled by whatever their answer is this year.

The grass is only greener on the other side of the fence if you see the green. If you don't you're better off in your home stomping grounds with as much security as possible. That's just life in the NFL.

The Jets have played this very well. Lots of respect to Robby so he is not angry with them and leaving the door open for him to come back in if he wants.

The smart move for him right now is to get a 3 or 4 year deal with enough guaranteed that he is set up.

7. BroadwayAaron

Ultimately I agree that it’s in his best interest to sign with us. But knowing that he is chasing money, and if he decides to go the one year “prove it” route, I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he goes to a team that has a competent offensive strategy to maximize his 2021 value.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He has no idea if any landing spot is going to help him more than the Jets.

He could easily be on a different page than the QB/OC on the new team and wind up with a 35 catch season that destroys his value. He could get hurt and have no home for 2021 because the Jets filled his spot. He could get caught doing the knucklehead thing again and find his new team has no tolerance for that.

If he doesn't see a market out there right now and the only multi-year deal is in NY the odds are pretty good he is looking at the best offer he will ever see. Turning that down could be a career-breaking mistake.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There will be cap casualties. That's a given. Are they likely to be less than 30 years old? That's not a given, and is probably a likelihood that they will be older players. Will any of them be starters? Doubtful.

Right now there are 3 average or better OGs available (Van Roten, Josh Kline and Mike Person). While I don't want Douglas to overpay, I'd hate to miss out on one of them. If we do, we do, however. I'm not going to complain. I understand what Douglas is doing with FA and applaud it. We may miss out on some players this year, but it will pay dividends in the future. Players and agents will respect Douglas and the Jets and won't try to use us. Players who just want big paydays won't bother us, but I think some good players will want to play here and will be willing to sign for reasonable deals, and this will help us sign them.

Br4d and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I believe it but the second link you posted has us signing him "in a heartbeat" at $10m a year.

I would take that with a grain of salt. Either way, he seems to be looking for a much higher contract in a market that is just not there for him.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I believe it was Idzik. Mac was all too eager to sign players regardless of the cost.

Br4d likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

Nice for depth. He was adequate.

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I actually really like this signing.

Played really well at the end of the season last year.

chandler, Br4d and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

CHAMPIONSHIP!

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

because if he comes here he is the number 1 target. If he goes to any of those teams he's the 2nd or 3rd option and gets less volume. That hurts him financially. these guys don't give a shit about winning

16. BroadwayAaron

if we draft Lamb or Jeudy, Robby might be third in targets. That’s the ideal scenario honestly.

Br4d likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

that's a pretty big IF and a pretty big MIGHT

18. BroadwayAaron

No more or less of an “if” or “might” than saying he’d be a 2 elsewhere and not on the same page as the QB/OC.

Either way if all goes well, Robby will finish third in targets behind Crowder and Lamb or Jeudy. That means we had a good draft and Gase got a little bit of his head out of his ass.

Br4d likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

ah, ok, you have it all figured out. Aaron Rodgers has been throwing passes to Davante Adams for 6 years. He can probably hit him with a pass in his sleep. Anderson is obviously not gonna be Rodgers' main target.

But yeah, maybe the Jets will draft a receiver, those 2 specific receivers actually. And maybe Gase will get his head outta his ass and tell the QB to throw it to the rookie. good call as usual

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

#1 on the outside: Jerry Jeudy.
    Slot Receriver: Jamison Crowder.
    #2 on the outside: Robby Anderson.

When is the last time a Jets offensive attack featured a trio of WR's as talented as that one above?

#1 on the outside: Jerry Jeudy.
    Slot Receiver: Jamison Crowder.
    #2 on the outside: Robby Anderson.
    TE: Chris Herndon.
    RB: Le'Veon Bell (66 receptions last year as 1st year Jet).

When's the last time a Jets offense featured that many talented pass catching options for our QB?

Bring back Robby Anderson. Draft either Jeudy or Lamb. Continue to improve our O-Line and a young Sam Darnold will be in position to succeed heading into his 3rd year unlike Sanchez heading into 2011.