Jets agree with T George Fant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Mar 16, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not talking out of my ass. I'm stating my opinion. If you don't agree fine.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

How many of those snaps were at LT vs 6th lineman/TE ? Want it like 201 snaps at LT and a combined 20 sacks, hits and pressures? 20% negative plays at LT.

3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

He started 7 games in each of 2018 and 2019 at lt and 10 in 2016. He has only allowed 9 sacks in his career. He actually has a lot of potential. He may suck. Not saying he is pro bowl. But he may end up being a great investment. Making him seem horrible without knowing anything about him like you just did is kinda ridiculous.

#143 J-Raw24, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  4. TonyFtLaud

I know his snap count , negative play percentage, his age and experience. He could work out but IMO , gambling on an extremely inexperienced 28 year old with less than a season of experience at the position in his lifetime is a questionable decision. For the record, he allowed 2 sacks, 2 hits and 20 pressures last year over 221 snaps at LT last season.

#144 TonyFtLaud, Mar 19, 2020
  5. J-Raw24

I never said I thought he was a pro. I said he has potential. He's a better pass blocker than Conklin. Doesn't mean he will be great. Conklin is a RT for a reason

6. TonyFtLaud

Hes not nearly as good as Conklin as a pass blocker. And Conklin isn't very good at pass blocking. Your comparing a full time RTs totals , vs a part time tackles. Conklin played over 5 times the snaps, of course hes going to have more sacks allowed. If Fants stats over 221 snaps were calculated over a full season, the #s would b scary. Over 10 sacks, over 10 hits, over 100 pressures.

7. J-Raw24

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2019-snap-counts.htm
    472 snaps last year. Not 221.

8. TonyFtLaud

9. J-Raw24

264 at lt actually but yeah. I still think he is a better pass blocker. But as stated Conklin is an rt for a reason. My point was he has potential. Not that he is some pro already. I think the money saved not signing conkling got us Fant and resigned Lewis. That's the left side of our line as opposed to one person on the right side. We won't know if it paid off until but it's the better choice than 20 million dollar free agent.

10. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

some random thoughts: stats on OL need a deeper diver. Brady could make his OL look amazing because they had so many quick releases, the sacks and pressures were low. Did that mean the OL were amazing at pass protection, who knows? On the other hand, if you're on a team where the QB holds the ball longer stats may be biased the other way. I still like the eye ball test for some positions. Im hoping (and trusting) our new talent evaluators. (Also let's not forget contract flexibility; if Fant is a bum he's a bum for one season; Conklin will be a noose around Browns neck if he doesn't deliver). I still would be far from surprised if Fant were signed to start at LT, and if JD drafts a LT in round 1 (or 2 even)

On WR or OL, I'll admit I'm horrible at evaluating college talent (pros too, to be honest). Having said that I think LT in particular has high positional value. They play a significant role on the execution of essentially every offensive play. A #1 WR can be neutralized to a large degree. Who do you want Orlando Pace or Calvin Johnson? I'll admit I'm biased toward the former, and prefer a set of WR who are all effective at getting open and catching the ball and having the QB spread the ball around.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Can't really work out why so many are hating this move. Looks like an extremely athletic guy who will fit the blocking scheme perfectly, which I'm not sure Conklin would have. Very reasonable deal for what is effectively a one year trial and a not unmanageable 3 year value if he proves worth it.

I'd much rather JD went for lower value deals with off the radar guys who fit, over big value deals for names that don't really fit. Especially when they have an easy out after a year and the guy that has got the big deal is a RT. Fant at LT, draft pick at RT and Edoga as swing/jumbo doesn't seem a write-off and has a ton of upside, especially if the interior line is upgraded as well.

12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The counter here is that there are really only 4 OT prospects who are likely starting quality, while this draft class is incredibly deep at WR. I think 8-10 of these prospects will be starting WRs in the NFL on opening day, and maybe 15 or more by the end of the season. The talent doesn't end at Lamb and Jeudy by a long shot. This is going to be like the 1996 draft, where excellent WR talent is still going to be available in rounds 4, 5, and 6.

The OT talent may be tapped out by the middle of the 1st round just due to prospect scarcity and league-wide market for the position.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you draft tackle 1st round no matter what. Like you said, you can get a stud receiver in the middle rounds

Pags2112 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  14. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

We sign another guard and draft an OT at 11 and we can spend the next two draft picks on receivers. Draft a corner with the second third rounder and go OL/EDGE the rest of the way.

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

I was going to make this point, as well. Russell Wilson holds the ball forever so you can only read but so much into his o-line's grades.

16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

exactly, that's what i meant by deeper dive. How long does he sustain or redirect against what type of defender (and how do those defenders correlate to most of our competition). We should be prioritizing a team to face the competition we face most frequently and in the conditions we play most frequently

Also want to know how well he grades out between the ears. That's one thing i'm looking forward to with JD -- better appreciation for intangibles. Felt like MAC had no rudder and just declared BPA after every pick -- even though history proved most sucked or were overdrafted

#156 chandler, Mar 19, 2020
    MoWilkBeast and All Gas No Shake like this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

3 year $42 million, $30 million guaranteed. That's a max of $14 mill per year. Not $20 million. Fant graded out at 79 out of 79 eligible tackles last year.Dead last. Lewis struggled in pass protection to. Not the combo I want to see protecting Darnolds blindside. Still not sure what your fixation is with Conklin. My opinion of Fant is based solely on his performance at LT, not in any way associated with Conklin. It was 221, but at least your a couple hundred snaps closer to reality

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

there are always potential HOFer players in every draft. many don't get there. stop overrating college kids. didn't u learn anything from baker?

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It depends on who's already on the team. If I already have a good LT, I'm taking Megatron every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

20. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

His combine numbers were nearly identical to Wirfs. So the tangibles are there, he just needs reps in a system that fits his strengths and coaching. His NFL career so far is a testament to his willingness to do whatever he is asked to do and desire to learn. I'm not saying just hand him the job, but if he wins the job in training camp, it's a great signing. If not, let him stay as a tackle eligible and blow people up until he's ready. I don't see the downside, as long as you have another option going in to camp.