Jets agree with T George Fant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm going to make the optimistic prediction that this will work out better for the Jets than Osemele, and Kalil did. It might be a little bit of outside the box thinking but I like it. At least its effort towards helping the OL and this guy looks like he might be able to help in multiple roles (both tackle spots and quality backup as well as perhaps some special packages) while also providing the outside chance he'll seize the opportunity and come into his own as a quality NFL starter.

Shit... compared to what we were looking at last year welcome aboard.

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

exactly. this guy has a much better chance of outperforming his contract than does COnklin. Plus he has a better chance to improve his game during this contract. Makes no sense to sign a guy at his peak only to see and pay for his decline with guaranteed money etc

NCJetsfan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  3. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Ele-Fant. No? Sorry.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Conklin is 25 years old, Fant is 27. And value doesn't mean much if Darnold is knocked out.

BacktoQueens and TonyFtLaud like this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

You say that like Conklin is a great pass blocker. He’s never been a strong pass blocker. He’s know as a very good people mover in the run game and average pass blocker. He gave up 4 sacks last year, just because he was the biggest name on the market does not make him great.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He may not be a great pass blocker, but he's still a much better pass blocker than Fant.

TonyFtLaud and 94Abraham like this.
  7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Fant allowed 2 sacks in 2019 and 1 penalty. He played 462 snaps. In 2018 he allowed 2 sack and had 5 penalties about the same snaps. In 2018 5 sacks 6 penalties and started 10 games way more snaps and was a rookie. He has potential. He is a way better pass blocker than Conklin.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to say majority of the board overreacted when we signed this guy because 1) everyone was disappointed after not getting Glasgow, Thuney, or Conklin 2) no one even knew who the hell this guy was and his PFF rating was awful

The guy has potential. He's super athletic and has long arms and fits quite well with what Gase wants to do on the offensive side of the ball. I think it's actually a decent deal with huge upside.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Virtually no one on this board knew who George Fant was prior to this move.

Given that fact, I consider all of the reactions bullshit and centered around notoriety, rather than talent and potential.

I know nothing about him and I trust Douglas does. If he sees potential and talent in him, then I am all for the signing.

IIMeanDeanII, Br4d, Ralebird and 6 others like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this^ outside of the top pro bowl lineman nobody outside the NFL really knows much about other teams o-line players at all. I'm just happy an attempt is being made to address the o-line right now but still want a LT with our 1st rounder. it's too good of a draft for o-line not to take one

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  11. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Agreed. In other drafts Andrew Thomas would be a consensus top LT prospect and I hope that Joe Douglas keeps that in mind.

Unless all 4 are drafted ahead of us it should be a no-brainer who we pick.

I get the excitement for either Lamb/Jeudy but a combo of big 4/2nd round WR seems a lot more valuable than top WR/2nd round tackle

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think drafting a lineman with our 11th pick is not a necessity. There is a lot of talent that can be found later in the draft. I think with the amount of talent at WR in this draft, we have to take one at #11.

Below are the top 10 guards and top 10 tackles in the NFL last year. Half are from outside of the 1st round, which means there is a ton of value outside of round 1:

Tackles

David Bakhtiari - 4th Round
    Mitchell Schwartz - 2nd Round
    Andrew Whitworth - 2nd Round

Ryan Ramczyk - 1st Round
    Terron Armstead - 3rd Round
    Lane Johnson - 1st Round
    Tyron Smith - 1st Round
    Joe Staley - 1st Round
    Taylor Lewan - 1st Round
    Jason Peters - Undrafted

Guards

Zack Martin - 1st Round
    David DeCastro - 1st Round
    Quenton Nelson - 1st Round
    Brandon Scherff - 1st Round
    Kevin Zeitler - 1st Round
    Marshal Yanda - 3rd Round
    Joe Thuney - 3rd Round
    Brandon Brooks - 3rd Round
    Rodger Saffold - 2nd Round
    Shaq Mason - 4th Round

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I will be the first to admit I didn't know Fant from apple. But I find it fascinating that a few here that just yesterday didn't know much of him either now are going on record as Fant experts to state that he will get Darnold killed because he is nothing but a situational player. Never mind the fact that a) we don't even know what JD real plan for him is 2) before his injury he was slated to start for the Seahawks, so there was potential there, 3) has show versatility and athleticism and the flexibility to play multiple roles across the line far better than some of our current players which we so desperately need 4) Conklin while a very good RT was not and would not have been effective at LT and he is not the QB savior against the pass we are now making him out to be, and 5) Gives JD more ammunition going into the draft and remaining free agency without braking the bank on one player. IMO We got two significant upgrades at about the same value as Conklin and if Fant proves out at LT a real steal. I applaud JD for not getting into a bidders war and overpay for the position. We have now made three moves all centered around the OL so clearly JD has his focus in the right place and was not immediately BS into a high paid free agent in a very limited market. I'm happy we are no longer the trading suckers that bend over in desperation and even bring in damaged goods like Osemele with zero value to this team.
    On to the next free agent. Let Miami, Cleveland and the like be the winners of free agency. I want this team to start filling as many holes as possible to allow for the most flexibility in the draft.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

16. GasedAndConfused

yeah there are easily 4 lineman all worth a top 11 pick. no way should we pass on one. WRs are too risky. so many "can't miss WRs" fail. i'd rather use one of our 3rd rounder or even both to grab a WR since we won't need a C anymore anyway.

17. GasedAndConfused

been there, dont that, got the t-shirt. You have a way better chance finding a great WR outside of the 1st then you do a LT. Take off the guards as well I wouldn't use a 1st on any of the one's this year but there are 3-4 top 10 OT prospects in the draft this year which is rare. passing on one would be dumb

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There are also two potential HOF WRs who are arguably better already at their positions than any of the 4 OTs are, who still have just as high ceilings as those OTs, and passing on one of those WRs for a good OT (none of whom is a can't miss prospect) can easily be considered dumb.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

who’s arguing that ... because I’ve not seen anyone arguing that anywhere. Calling anyone in this class “potential hall of fame” is either willful ignorance or reading way too many hype articles. This is a very good and deep class, but few are claiming there are multiple generational type talents. There are 2 or 3 wideouts with #1 type potential, there are 4 OTs with starting LT type potential. No one is claiming any of them are gall of fame types. Given positional value, the OTs are far ahead of the WRs in draft value for the jets. Quit talking out your ass.

TonyFtLaud and BacktoQueens like this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter as long as JD hits.

He has had a very solid FA so far and has made this roster look a lot better already. IMO

Personally though, I would go OT at 11. Just based on need and depth.

WR is absolutely stacked and we can get one or two quality WR in the 2nd and 3rd round. It's rare for a draft to he this deep at a position. Usually you have one or two positions with good depth. This year, WR is historically stacked.

I would literally lose my mind if we don't draft one or two in this draft. You have to.