Jets sign C Connor McGovern

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 17, 2020.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Fant is average to below average (more-so below average), I am hoping he thinks Fant brings some sort of insurance to the position at best. 1 year contract essentially, a little pricey but thats the going rate.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Winters needs to go away.

3. M00ndawg

M00ndawg Member

Wow we actually made a responsible signing. Great Job!

boozer32 likes this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree already impressed with Douglas's offseason strategy. He has to bring Anderson back since Cooper is staying with the Cowboys.

5. M00ndawg

M00ndawg Member

I still want more talent on that line.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Good move. I'd still like Beachum back on a one year deal to play LT and move Fant to RT. Also draft an OT at 11.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He has a lot of potential. Neither of us truly know what that will look like. You're making bold statements by calling him below average..

I'm curious what your basis is for this?

No Fly Zone likes this.
  8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking if the O - linemen are off the board we trade back

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He is who he's been the past couple of years, but he is treading up and has an opportunity prove he's more than just the 6th man. He hasn't proved to be a starter and I think people need to temper their expectations on this guy. Do I think he can contribute? Absolutely.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If that chart is anywhere near accurate, I'm glad that we signed McGovern and not Glasgow. McGovern excels as a pass blocker, but is weaker as a run blocker. The opposite was true with Glasgow.

blackssmagic likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

ROFLMAO!!! Spoken like a true Jets fan!!!!

NYGANGGREEN and Noam like this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

I can't say I know anything about him but I just read how last year he started all 16 games and committed 0 penalties. Not a single false start or holding penalty? That would be a breath of fresh air.

Despite me being hard on Joe Douglas after the Noah Fant signing once mostly all of the big name FA O-lineman were already off the board I'm starting to like what he's doing by adding big bodies. And maybe he has a plan to give Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, CJ Mosley, Avery Williamson, Quinnen Williams and Gregg Williams etc a real outside pass rusher as our one free agent splash. Fowler Jr. or Clowney. I have a feeling Joe Douglas has a trick up his sleeve for us before heading into the draft because I'm pretty sure that both Gregg Williams and Jamal Adams are screaming @ him for a pass rusher which is why we haven't resigned Jenkins or a big $ FA O-Lineman. Because something is about to happen. We haven't had one since John Abraham and man was he so much fun to watch back then.

I'd love to see this defense being led by Jamal Adams feature a real athletic pass rusher from the outside with Gregg Williams firing the shots. If JD lands us a big name OLB and a proven pass rusher instead of those O-Lineman no longer available I'll become excited again. With no Brady defense may become the way we fight for the division next year.

13. NCJetsfan

I wonder if the Jets have broken off talks with Van Roten. If not, it could be Van Roten at RG and Winters on the streets. I'd prefer that. Or maybe Lewis goes to the bench and Van Roten and Winters start.

chandler likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Sure hope so. I don't watch too many Denver Bronco games so I'm clueless about this signing but I've gotta trust in Douglas on this one because a full 16 games started last year along with 0 penalties 0 false starts 0 offensive holding calls etc shouldn't be overlooked by me, that's a breath of fresh air he's a disciplined football player it seems.

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Are you thinking Ngakoue? Imagine if JD found a way to pull that off ......

blackssmagic likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I like Wirfs, but if we're going that route (with Fant definitely as the LT), then I'd rather see Douglas trade down, adding 2nd and 3rd round picks, and then take one of Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, or Ezra Cleveland in the first or take Justin Jefferson, then grab Prince Tega Wanogho in the 2nd. The reason for this is since there is room for doubt regarding Fant's abilities as a full time LT, I'd rather have some insurance that at least for next year we'd already have our LT set. If Fant proves to be a great signing, then we can always play that other OT at RT and we'd be set at OT.

wewantsapp likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Yes, I'm really, really happy with the McGovern signing. I wasn't sure that we'd get one of Ruiz or Cushenberry, have soured on Biadasz, and wasn't wild about Harris. The Jets should definitely be able to grab 2 WRs now between the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and still take a CB or OG in the 3rd round as well.

We still need to add a swing OT for depth purposes, as I wouldn't want to have to rely on Edoga at LT again should Fant get injured.

mrjet80 likes this.
  18. mrjet80

I’m guessing Beachum is a goner. Perhaps he was holding out for more years and JD wasn’t comfortable with more than one year? That may explain the Fant signing.

19. NCJetsfan

If Becton or Thomas drops and one or both of Lamb and Jeudy are there, it would be a tough decision for me. If Wirfs drops, it would still be tough, but I'd probably take the WR. If the other 3 OTs are gone and it's Wills sitting there, then I'm definitely taking the WR.

20. mrjet80

Yes. My early estimate is OT, WR x 2, CB all early for sure ( not necessarily in that order ). The best part is any WR taken in the second/third rounds this year would probably be first/second rounds any other year it’s so deep. This is a great year for WRs.