The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Douglas didn't whiff on Thuney. NE franchised him. There was nothing Douglas could do. Conklin likely wanted more money than Douglas thought the Jets could afford to pay or was willing to pay. I can't fault him for that at all. That was no whiff.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would love to know if the Jets didn't want to give him a 3 year deal and preferred 4-5. 3 year deal is such a player friendly deal allowing them to cash in again at such a young age.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Our best FA acquisitions last year were Poole and Crowder. Neither signed for big money. Just a friendly reminder to all. :)

4. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

How is it a whiff if Thurney didn't even make it to FA?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Could be. Also, the Browns were said to be desperate after last season. They could have gone all out to woo Conklin, while Douglas was interested, but wasn't going to break the bank to sign him. Lots of times players sign with the team that really makes them feel wanted. Conklin was born in Michigan. That gets him a lot closer to home than NJ.

6. NCJetsfan

Excellent post!

7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I am honestly not disappointed. I wanted Glasgow but I like that we aren't over spending on FA so far. Building through the draft is best. Hopefully he is very busy after the first wave of over spending. Maybe we can get some quality players. Under the radar types. Maybe Douglas learned a lot under Newsome.

8. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Van Noy is a more expensive Jordan Jenkins

9. NCJetsfan

As long as we can still sign a couple of OL, I'd be very happy with those additions.

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Byron Jones to the Dolphins. Set to become the highest paid Corner

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Last year we were the first off the chocks with a few high power free signings, the fan base, myself included were going nuts with joy. Turned out to be foolish gold of which only one panned out and the rest were significantly sub-par or worthless. So forgive me if I'm not totally depressed after day one and sure as shit not too unhappy for not giving a RT $20 M for the first year. I'm disappointed about Glasgow for sure, but more often than not high profile signings do not always make the team better in the long run. So I'm hoping JD has a good long term plan in place. Much like many of you, I expect to see 2 OL signed at some point to give the OL some teeth. The fact that no tag has been placed on any of our free agents make me wonder how the front office sees the value of Jenkins and Anderson versus perhaps other free agents. Ill give JD every benefit of the doubt.

#271 LAJet, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    MoWilkBeast, Br4d and Brook! like this.
  12. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

He's a better player though

dawinner127 likes this.
  13. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

yea you're right on Thuney.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He’s better.

Brook!, MaximusD163 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

After all we've been through, I find it ironic how people are now complaining that we haven't spent a fortune in free agency on the first day.

You would think some would learn their lesson after celebrating when we did over the years

16. NCJetsfan

Exactly!!! If we had signed Conklin and Thuney we'd probably have been paying the two of them around $32 million this year combined That would have also pretty much have eaten up most of the money the Jets had to spend in FA and no other holes would have been filled. It would also screw up the team salary structure. Glasgow may have wanted too much as well. I'll be interested to see what his contract looks like,

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  17. same old jets

same old jets Member

Problem is the Ravens method of sitting out 1st wave mainly works because they have good base and coaching....Jets have neither.

PabloJa likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I am preparing to be hopeful coming out of tier 1 free agency. That's what would happen if the Jets did not over-commit to a mercenary coming to a bad team because the $$$ were too good to say no.

I believe Joe Douglas and his crew can build this up the right way and give us some long-term stability for the first time in 15 years.

Attackett and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Spot on! Winning the first day of FA rarely pays off once the season begins. Also, anyone who was really expecting/hoping for that wasn't being realistic. Douglas is an Ozzie Newsome disciple. Ozzie looked for value in FA, for players who could outperform their contracts. He didn't look to make big splashes on day one.

ColoradoContrails, Brook! and Falco21 like this.
  20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Which is an even better reason to not spend a fortune in free agency. If there is no base, you don't build a base with free agents. Especially spending huge money for ones on the first day