My simple off-season plan.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 15, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Unlike Sanchez heading into year 3 we must do the opposite, the complete opposite for Sam Darnold which is to surround him with and protect him with both offensive lineman and offensive playmakers to get the ball in the hands of. The time is now.

First and foremost. Bring back Robby Anderson as one of the NFL's best deep threat WR's as a speed burner (everything we dreamed of Devin Smith to develop into when drafted) and provides Darnold with an offensive weapon. If lined up as a #2 WR against #2 CB's he'll become a nightmare as he's yet to reach his max max potential due to less than ideal offensive circumstances since breaking out as a rookie to a preseason game. I don't want to replace Robby Anderson through the draft or free agency. I want to build our WR position with Anderson included and build from there with a natural slot receiver in Jamison Crowder. We're another #1 WR on the outside away from having an awesome WR trio.

Draft either Jeudy or Lamb if available. This right here creates that awesome trio of Jeudy/Lamb and Anderson on the outside with Jamison Crowder coming out of the slot. Le'Veon Bell had 60+ receptions out of the backfield as a 1st year Jet. Any given play that's 4 pass catching weapons for our kid QB in Jeudy/Lamb, Anderson, Crowder and Le'Veon Bell. Throw in a healthy Chris Herndon @ TE and all of a sudden Sam Darnold has offensive weapons @ every position and his play action to Bell becomes difficult to defend. Draft either Jeudy/Lamb no questions asked and a 3rd year franchise hopefully Darnold now has the type of weapons that a 3rd year Sanchez heading into our horrific 2011 season deserved but couldn't even dream of. Mahones wouldn't be greatness without awesome weapons neither.

Bring back Jordan Jenkins if possible. Reminds me of a younger Bryan Thomas/Calvin Pace. A player who's underrated, hard working and has a lot of potential/ability moving forward. Loved him coming out of GA the SEC and love him to this day. Sets the edge. Strong against the run. We have a lot of high draft picks every round, with or without Jenkins we may need to address OLB with one of our first 5 picks within the first 4 rounds so I rather not create a hole @ OLB heading into FA/Draft. Some of these pass rushing OLB's/DE's will cost a lot come free agency I'd love to see us bring back Jenkins to pair alongside of Mosley & Williamson and focus on getting another pass rushing OLB with one of our 3rd (x2) or 4th rounders.

Sign Jack Conklin as our one big name FA of 2020. He's a top 10 FA and the best available lineman at a position of need (Tackle). If reports are true and the Jets and Conklin are linked to one another, a former O-linenan in Joe Douglas himself will make this a no brainier and give both Darnold and Bell an animal on our O-Line to continue building our O-Line around. Tennessee will miss him.

After drafting Jeudy/Lamb during the first I'd like to see us go back to back O-Line with our 2nd and first 3rd round pick. Jamal Adams/Marcus Maye back to back solidified our Safety positions. Going best available O-Lineman 2nd/3rd rounds after signing Conklin could have our entire offense on the right track to success.

From there I'll leave it up to the professionals and trust in JD and leave the defense in the hands of Gregg Williams. But those are some of the moves I'm really hoping for in order to truly see what Gase can do with weapons everywhere.

Protect Darnold with both O-lineman and WR's.
    Bring back Robby Anderson.
    Bring back Jordan Jenkins.
    Draft either Jeudy/Lamb.
    Sign Conklin.
    Draft O-Line 2nd/3rd round.
    Draft OLB with our second 3rd or 4th round.
    First 3 picks = All Offense.

Mr mittens likes this.
  2. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Like everything except resigning Jordan Jenkins. Think he will want too much like 9-10 mil a year so why not just add a couple of mil more and get Fowler. Then we have a pass rusher

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Many people do not realize but Jordan Jenkins over the past two seasons (2018 and 2019) has recorded 15.0 sacks (30 games played), 4 Forced Fumbles, 2 Fumble Recoveries and 67 combined tackles compared to Fowler Jr.over the past two seasons who's combined for 15.5 sacks (31 games played), 4 Fumbles Forced, 3 Fumble Recoveries and 88 combined tackles.

Jordan Jenkins is highly underrated I'd love Fowler Jr. as well (as we share a great niece together) but he'll cost a lot more than Jordan Jenkins. I'd rather keep Jenkins and focus on drafting an OLB. Jenkins reminds me so much of a younger Calvin Pace/Bryan Thomas in regards to setting the edge, playing the run and a little pass rush in between.

#3 DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    mrjet80 likes this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Looks like Jordan Jenkins will not be returning, as the NY Giants are going after him strong per reports. Now I really hope we land Fowler Jr. as our pass rusher for many of years to come. Would become the most talented pass rusher from the outside we've had since John Abraham. Since Jenkins looks to be leaving, Fowler Jr. could be an awesome replacement.

5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Except Fowler us Garbage in coverage. He's an ok pass rush, not a top tier. He wouldn't be replacing Jenkins coverage. He also won't set the edge as well. There is a reason he has been used as a situational player. He won't be worth what he gets paid.

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

He is top tier; Fowler Jr. ranked top 10 last year in sacks with 11.5. He also had more tackles against the run than Jenkins did with 58 tackles.

I really wanted to keep Jenkins, not because he's better than Fowler Jr. (he's not) but because he'll be cheaper but with that said Fowler Jr. is not just a "situational player". He played in all 16 games and started 14. He's also one of the best pass rushers within the entire league ala only 8 players finished with more sacks than Fowler Jr. Fowler Jr. also steps up during the postseason with 3.5 sacks after only 3 career playoff games.

Surrounded by LB's such as Mosley/Williamson, a player who roams the entire defense in Jamal Adams and a developing Quinnen Williams on the D-Line... Fowler Jr. could become a great weapon for us as our best pass rusher since John Abraham.

Mr mittens likes this.
  7. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

The corner situation is a flaming dumpster fire. Resources need to be spent there as well.

8. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Last year was the first time he had more than 8 sacks. Also the first time he played more than 53% of snaps. Both those totals were from his rookie year. The rest of his career he was hot garbage and bearly good enough for a situational player. Paying someone for one good year is idiotioc. Jenkins meanwhile was consistent his whole career. Fowler may get paid and lay down. Convenient his only good year was a contract year.

#8 J-Raw24, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    BomberJet and Jets69 like this.
  9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm living in bizarro world.. I get that ppl like Robby, and to be clear I like him too, but this idea that he's one of the top WRs is flat out wrong. He's never had a more than 950 yards in a season or even more than 63 catches in a year. His best catch % in a year was 55% which is not good for a deep threat. His best year was 2 years ago. He's regressed.

I like him, want him back at the right price, but he's not what this fanbase makes him out to be.. He's really not special.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

lol @ what Robby has "never done" hah. He's never had a chance to show his true ability so take his catch percentage bull crap elsewhere when talking Robby Anderson. He caught passes for freaking two career losing QBs in Fitzpatrick and McCown who combined have like 50 years NFL experience with 0 playoff wins. Two career losers he "had" @ QB as his quarterback. Heck he even lined up on Sunday's for Bryce Petty who's a complete dud out of Baylor. Stop talking about his numbers as if putting up multiple season's of almost 1,000 yards isn't impressive considering his crappy circumstances he was drafted into. He never put up 1k? What a crock of you know what. He never had a freaking QB protected by an O-Line in order for his routes to develop. Unless you're willing to count Darnolds rookie season (youngest QB to ever start a week 1 gm ever) behind a makeshift disaster of an O-Line and/or Sam's 2nd season last year where he ran for his life behind another makeshift O-Line and historically speaking one of the biggest crap performances from an O-Line this game has seen; not even Le'Veon Bell ranked top 2 All-Time in yards from scrimmage per game could contribute on the ground. It was bad for Darnold a young kid and you expect Robby Anderson to put up monster numbers? Laughable.

Give Sam Darnold a decent O-Line. With time in the pocket. So he can actually, you know, um, scan the field for longer than 1.5 second.. Before being able to find Robby Anderson deep down field... Before you bring this Robby Anderson 1k crap to me as if he isn't sniffing 1k seasons as is. And he smokes defender's and doesn't get the ball because his QB is running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Give Darnold time for Robby's routes to develop and say hello to Anderson in the pro bowl. Sam becomes great, has an O-Line and Robby Anderson goes down a Jets household name as one of the greatest deep threat WR's this fan base has ever witnessed only Maynard has ever averaged more yards per catch than Anderson thus far so please don't throw statistics at me because I'll throw them right back you people do not realize how blazing fast he is and you can't teach speed he's faster than Coles I think who I loved nonetheless but Robby has a chance to become special with Darnold. If lined up as a #2 opposite of a Jeudy/Lamb against opposing #2/#3 CB's lol Robby Anderson will abuse secondaries with time for his routes to truly develop.

DefenseWinsChampionships is my user name. Had it since a kid. And I know that defenses especially number 2 CB's won't be able to contain Robby behind a good QB with time in the pocket. Greatest show on turf featured Bruce AND Holt (with Faulk catching out of the backfield for Warner). I want a dynamic duo @ WR.

QB: Sam Darnold. 3rd year. franchise hopeful.

WR#1: Jerry Jeudy kid rookie on the outside.

W2 #2: Robby Anderson the vet outside.

Slot: Crowder (best slot I've seen since Chrebet).

RB: Le'Veon Bell (65+ receptions last year).

TE: Chris Herndon (If healthy, watch out).

Give that offense a capable O-Line? And the NFL will take note. Real fast too. I see weapon's everywhere. Take Robby's 1k talk elsewhere put him on KC or Dallas and then talk to me about stats.

11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

"Almost 1000 yards"?? He's had one year with more than 780 yards. That's sniffing 1k? And if it is THAT'S what you want???
    You don't want stats (shocking) then let's talk eye test. Everyone on this board has watched every game of his career. What exactly have you seen that blows you away? He's fast? Great! How many times a game does Robby just watch passes go by him without even attempting to make a catch?
    You bring up a bad o line as reasons why he hasn't reached his full potential but two things:
    1. His below avg catch % can't be blamed on anyone but him.
    2. Your plan to draft a WR to move Robby to #2 means we pass on the best O line help we can get from the draft which goes against means Robby will still struggle behind another poor line according to YOUR OWN ARGUMENT! Next year you and everyone else who likes to make excuses for our players will be saying "yeah but THIS YEAR if we get XY and Z Then FINALLY our players will shine! "

I said in my first post, I LIKE ROBBY but we've gotten so used to mediocrity here that Jets fans are treating him like he's the next Jerry Rice. Some rookies showed more last year than Robby has in 4 years.
    We don't have to settle, we can expect more. There were posters here defending players like Lee and Leo right up to the end saying they'd succeed if we just had the right pieces and what have they done since leaving?