The Official 2019-20 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Sep 12, 2019.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think so too. We all know how Justin Williams can elevate a team, and it looks like he already is with his return to Carolina. The Capitals and Penguins are playing really good, but we know the Canes can play with them. I still believe in Trotz and the Isles too, so the Metro is stacked as usual. Columbus and Philadelphia are serious too. Boston looks great in the Atlantic, as defending Eastern Conference Champs, but the team to truly worry about is Tampa Bay. Looks like something finally clicked with them and they are on a roll. The hype is gone from them, which I think is allowing them to play better. Should be a great 2nd half!

2. The Dark Knight

Big win for the Capitals last night. Another horrible 1st period, down 2-0 to a pretty good Colorado team, but the Caps dug deep and found a way to come back to a 3-2 win. Holtby was his old self again, literally keeping the Caps in the game. Hopefully they build on this and get back to the team I am used to watching play. Ovechkin did not score again. I think being at 698 could be in his head, but also teams are playing him tightly too.

3. The Dark Knight

The Caps acquired Brendon Dillon from San Jose yesterday. They need help on the blue line, so he seems like a solid addition. At the same time, the Penguins won 5-2 and moved into 1st Place in the Metro Division.

Looks like this:
    1. Penguins-80 Points
    2. Capitals-79 Points
    3. Flyers-73 Points
    4. Islanders-72 Points
    5. Hurricanes-72 Points
    6. Blue Jackets-72 Points

At least one of those teams won't make the playoffs. Really tight division, as usual, but it is even stronger now top to bottom, as the Rangers are having a solid season. Only the Devils are completely out right now.

In the Atlantic, Boston leads with 86 points, but Tampa Bay is right behind them with 85, and have won 11 straight. They should be the East favorites again, but no one can quite trust them come playoff time. The trade deadline is Monday, then the playoff push is on! Fun times! :) (Unless the Caps continue to struggle, then not so fun)

Red Menace likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

Big Capitals win against the Penguins today 5-3. Then after the game, the Caps traded for Ilya Kovalchuk. Should definitely help the third line with scoring. Funny, I woke up today worried this could be a bad day for the Capitals, and instead I end the day thinking they have a decent shot to compete for the Cup.

Also, how about David Ayres last night? Have to post about that in the NHL thread. a 42 year old zamboni driver gets his first NHL win as an emergency goalie for the Hurricanes. And he is a big Leafs fan, but had to play against them. Unbelievable. What did you think of that, @Section 336?

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I tuned in late, but probably not long after Dave went in.
    I immediately noticed the goalie mask and said to myself who the F is up goal? and not long after they started talking about him.
    What a great moment for him, it was pretty special how the guys mobbed him at the end of the game like it was the SCF finals,

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Happening to the Leafs was icing on the cake.

7. The Dark Knight

Nobody wants to play the Flyers right now, as they have won 8 in a row and tied the Caps for 1st Place in the Metro with 87 points. The Penguins are in 3rd with 84 points. That means a Round 1 match-up of Capitals-Flyers, Capitals-Penguins, or Flyers-Penguins is likely. That sucks for whichever 2 of them have to play each other in the first round.

Columbus and the Islanders still hold the Wild Card spots, but the Rangers are not too far behind with their win tonight over the Caps, and the Isles surprising loss to the Senators.

The Bruins have separated themselves in the Atlantic, and will likely win the President's Trophy. Setting up a likely Tampa Bay-Toronto Round 1 match-up if things stay the same. Florida still has a shot to catch Toronto.

And the West.............. I don't pay as close attention to until the playoffs, but the Defending Stanley Cup Champion Blues have won 8 in a row and are 1st Place in the conference with 90 points.

8. The Dark Knight

Had to be done............:(

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

As I commented in the Islanders thread, I can’t see them playing the Cup Finals in July (unlike the NBA Finals). I think there’s a real chance that the season ends here.

10. The Dark Knight

Yeah, just depends on the time line I guess. You could push back the 20-21 season a month. Have it start in November. That way you could still have an off-season if the Stanley Cup Final goes into July. You could cut off the regular season, and have whatever the standings are right now be the playoff match-ups. Tough to go from a layoff right into the playoffs though. Definitely a lot up in the air.

11. The Dark Knight

I miss hockey so much that I watched a nature documentary just so I could boo the Penguins. It was fun.

12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I realize in the big picture sports isn't that important right now. People need to get or stay healthy. People need to go back to work and get the economy going again. But life without sports to watch sucks. I miss hockey but if this season is officially done I will get over it. Same if baseball doesn't have a season. But I need football. I really hope football can have a season. Like I mentioned in the big picture it isn't important but I really hope football happens this year. That would hurt way more than not having hockey or baseball.

13. The Dark Knight

Okay, so the 2019-20 Regular Season is over. The Capitals won the Metropolitan Division and Alexander Ovechkin won his 9th Rocket Richard trophy, which is truly amazing.

Now there is a 24 team playoff to decide who wins the 2020 Stanley Cup. Can't wait to see what happens.

East:
    Bruins, Lightning, Capitals and Flyers will play a Round Robin to decide seeding.

5 Penguins vs. 12 Canadiens
    6 Hurricanes vs 11 Rangers
    7 Islanders vs 10 Panthers
    8 Maple Leafs vs. 9 Blue Jackets

West:
    Blues, Avalanche, Golden Knights and Stars will play a round Robin to decide seeding.
    5 Oilers vs 12 Blackhawks
    6 Predators vs 11 Coyotes
    7 Canucks vs 10 Wild
    8 Flames vs 9 Jets

Should be awesome. Guess they are playing in Hub cities with no fans too.

Section 336 and JetBlue like this.
  14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If ever a team needed a break, it was the Isles. But they are built to slog through some series while everyone gets their skates back underneath them.

MJK and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

Yep, this was good for the Islanders. And judging by last year's playoffs, this one should be even more wide open. It would not shock me if a team like Montreal or the Blackhawks make a run.

16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

By the time they finish this season with a weird playoff format the 20-21 season will start in 2022.

17. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I was reading that the 2020-21 season will likely start in December or January instead of the usual October. We will see how it goes.

18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

That really isn't a bad thing. For me personally I don't really get into hockey until after football season. I follow the Isles and keep track of what they are doing. With the NFL, CFB, and baseball playoffs going on in the fall that takes priority for me from a sports standpoint.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

This is gonna be a wild tournament. Oilers are going to lose to a 12 seed aren't they? Classic. At this point I'll gladly watch them lose to anyone though.

Tournament will likely end in December and next season starts in January.

20. The Dark Knight

I was thinking the playoffs take about 2 months. Add a couple weeks with the new round they added, and a couple more weeks for training camp, and it will be a 3 month process. So if they start in July, it will end in October. If they start in August, it will end in November, etc. We will see.

matt robinson 17 likes this.