Compensatory picks - Jets 0 Patriots 4

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Mar 10, 2020.

1. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The intent is to give some talent back to teams that get poached of good players by other teams. It's not a perfect system and teams don't know what round comp pick they will get if a player leaves so there is no guarantee they get a high comp pick so it all factors into whether they keep a player or let them go along with cap room, age etc.

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you draft well.

3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Why would/should the Jets get compensatory picks for a player they traded away?

The Jets suck at the draft anyway.

Enough with the woe is us garbage.

Get strong. Get good.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Why is everyone assuming that I am talking that kind of nonsense.

My point was that the Patriots got more for their free agents lost to other teams than we were able to get in a trade for our highly drafted player.

K'OB likes this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I feel the Jets made out like bandits in that trade. Hot garbage production I didn't believe he was worth much if anything in a trade so I was SHOCKED when the trade happened and I STILL can't believe the Jets got what they got for him.

No complaints here.

As for how compensation picks work I don't know how they figure it out nor do I care enough to spend my precious time figuring it out so I'll leave that one alone.

6. James Hasty

Apparently Bill Bellicheat is the only GM that does not share that sentiment.

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The facts are that we have shit players that no other FB teams want :mad:

8. James Hasty

If we had more compensatory picks in the past perhaps we would have had more of those good players that everyone wants.

The rich seem to get richer with this scheme.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you don't get the system though. It takes into account not only players lost to free agency, but also how that compares with players gained. And mixed into that is what their new contracts look like and where they were drafted.

The Patriots lost 5-6 players. They added one starter in free agency. So they end up with a bunch of comp picks.

We would have more comp picks if we weren't signed Darrell's Revis, Trumaine Johnson, Marcus Gilchrist, Le'Veon, Mosely, etc. every year while only losing backups like Tom Compton.

This was the game Idzik wanted to play but unfortunately he had no idea how to identify talent. And neither did Rex.

10. James Hasty

I completely understand how the system works.

I just don't like the system, I don't like the Patriots, and I don't like them getting rewards that we do not get.

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It happens every year Bc they let their free agents walk and address via the draft and we don’t lose many players to big contracts and spend more than we lose. It’s not complicated.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you draft good players that go free agent and get big contracts from the second team you get a + in the comp pick equation.

If you sign other teams free agents to big contracts you get a - in the comp pick equation.

Historically the Jets are one of the worst drafting teams in the NFL and often trade draft picks.

Historically the Jets sign lots of free agents to big contracts.

Historically the Pats draft a lot of players who go free agent and get big contracts when Belichik decides to roll them over into likely comp picks.

Historically the Pats do not sign lots of free agents to big contracts.

This is probably the easiest correlation to make if you look at the actual team behavior involved.

The Pats know what they are doing and the Jets are short bus candidates every year.

BamaDoc likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's funny because it looks like we finally have a GM who's trying to not give big money to FA's and some here don't like it. It's as if they want this regime to repeat the sins of past FO's.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jets fans have been conditioned to respond to the quick fix high of a big signing in free agency. Probably the only more deluded fan group in the NFL are Skins fans, although Fins fans are in the running.

15. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Note one of the leaders in comp picks every year are the Ravens where Douglas learned under Ozzie. I actually think a every other year strategy in free agency makes sense for us since Douglas has a long term contract. Every signing negates a player lost. We have a lot of holes so we typically sign multiple more than we lose. It would make sense to add option years on some of the one year contracts to not have to replace similar players. By doing that you may actually be able to manipulate your roster to acquire extra picks.

CotcheryFan and Br4d like this.
  16. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Now they'll trade those two 3rd round comp picks for Cam Newton and get him for nothing, thanks NFL!

James Hasty likes this.
  17. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

The key to keep in mind with comp picks is that it only takes into account unrestricted FAs lost & signed. If you cut or trade a player or you sign a cut player or trade for a player that doesn't factor in.

After that, it takes into account size of contract (mostly) and performance.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Jets 0, NE 4. To me, this means the Jets are better managed. We don't have the high turnover of players that triggers the comp pick.

NE, on the other hand, must be a mess. So many rats have jumped off that ship they get FOUR comp pics, trying to replace all the rats!