My NYJ offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by J-Raw24, Mar 6, 2020.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you but I'm not sure the coaching staff feels that way. Why would he be playing in a week 3 preseason game? I think they were trying to trade him. I like him. He is a good player and could help but I think he gets cut. Him and Mosley healthy would be really fun to watch. At 6 million and 24 million total for two inside linebackers and knowing how Coleman, Hewitt, and Burgess played I think they'll move one unfortunately.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You are missing my point. Williamson is a good ILB, but they are already paying huge money to Mosely and should not invest 24 mil for 2 starting ILBs when there are so many other issues on the team. Most notably our 31st ranked offense.

jonnyd, NCJetsfan and AJT73 like this.
  3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree with you 100%. I would love to have Williamson back. The problem is we need so much on offense and to have 24 million on middle linebackers is not a good way to spend money. Save the 6 million. Sign Perriman for 7-8 million. Lose Williamson but get a wr who can help replace Robby.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

O.K but if that's the goal of filling as many holes as we can, then it's counter productive to get rid of an awesome MLB in Williamson who could become a terror opposite of Mosley while creating another hole and/or question mark @ IMLB with unproved player(s).

I don't want to weaken one of our strongest position(s) when healthy, in order to fill in holes when that's what both free agency and the draft are for. Come playoff football with a smashmouth stype of play within the cold? To win a SB and advance? We'll love two powerhouse MLB's in a 3-4 behind the likes of Quinen Williams with Jamal Adams roaming everywhere. Williamson is too good of a football player to release or trade for nothing as a cap move; when we're not even in salary cap hell to begin with.

Keeping Williamson does not prevent us from attacking O-Line and WR's through both FA and throughout the draft while addressing offense along with looking for some undrafted gems that were overlooked during the draft.

This is a violent sport. It's an offensive league now, but without a defense you have no chance come playoff football. You can never have enough LB's and a duo of Mosley/Williamson could become too dominant to pass up and overlook moving forward.

There are plenty of other current Jets to move on from for cap space. Wiliamson, one of the better one's... Isn't one of them. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

#24 DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I think most people on this board agree with you. Unfortunately in a salary cap league tough decisions are made. This is one of them. Williamson is a good player. Pair him with Mosley the dline and Adams and it could be a great defense. That being said in this case you have to "Rob Peter to pay Paul." It weakens us but the offense needs so much work we have to cut in some areas to improve in others. Not saying Coleman Burgess and Hewitt are better but we can sign one of them cheaper and they'd be ok. Again I don't think most want to do it but it has to be done.

twown likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

I want the best 22 men on offense and defense as possible. Williamson is one of the best Jets we have. Top 10 for sure. He cost money, because he's very good at what he does and is worth every dollar when on the field. We might've won a couple more games last year with both Mosley and Williamson on the field together especially week 1 in Buffalo which sent our season in a downward spiral.

I loved the signing of him then and want to keep him even more now. I want to see his energy and leadership that he'll provide to our team once back on the field while he has a redeem season with something to prove after injury. And what if Mosley the big $ man doesn't recover as expected? Then we'll wish we had Williamson as our plug up the middle to thump against O-Lineman. Bart Scott was a hell of a wingman alongside of Ray Lewis and Mosley deserves himself a wingman in Williamson as well.

I just think he's too good a football player to move on from when we're not 1 or 2 pieces away from a SB but with FA additions and draft additions, he could become a big reason why the Jets become a really good team with talent at most positions. Focus on O-Line and WR and we will have talent @ most position's.

twown likes this.
  7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I feel like we had plenty of depth at LB last year... I completely disagree with your sentiment. Rank the positional issues we had and see where LB falls, #1 was the biggest issue we had and so forth.

#1: Offensive Linemen
    #2: Receiving Corps
    #3: Outside Cornerbacks
    #4: Edge Rushers
    #5: Backup QB
    #6: Running Backs
    #7: Inside Linebackers
    #8: Quarterback
    #9: Interior Defensive Linemen
    #10: Safeties

That’s even with no Williamson or Mosley, which indicates to me we had plenty of depth there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that cutting Williamson will only save us about $6 mil while an equivalent starter at any of our top four needs will probably cost closer to $15 mil.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Ding, Ding, Ding. Exactly. He's worth way more than 6M.

People are acting as if keeping a very good Avery Williamson opposite of C.J Mosley is somehow preventing us from addressing and attacking the offensive side of the ball throughout both Free Agency and the draft in order to improve our O-Line, WR group and even adding more talent on defense at maybe CB and OLB. Which couldn't be further the truth in regards to keeping Avery Williamson.

2018, 1st year with the Jets? 121 tackles and 3 sacks, 2 Forced Fumbles, 1 Fumble Recovery and 1 INT (how quickly fans have forgotten how awesome he was for us in 2018)

2015, 2016 and 2017 combined (with Tennessee) he combined for 298 tackles (almost 100 per season) and 8.5 sacks along with 3 forced fumbles and 1 INT.

Put his production alongside of C.J MOSLEY with Gregg Williams calling the shots?!?!? Forget about it.

Still only 28 years of age and would be insane to get rid of him for peanuts when he brings so much value to a defense and a duo of
    Mosley/Williamson with Jamal Adams roaming the defense and with Gregg Williams calling the shots? Is something we couldn't witness last year but could be awesome for the next 2-4 years moving forward.

Getting rid of Williamson for pennies on the dollar with salary cap increasing is mind boggling to me.

James Hasty likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Following is my offseason (within the present constraints). It isn't ideal by any stretch of the imagination. Market Value on players (according to Spotrac) are crazy. Players who were making $650k are projected to get at least $8.4 million or more. Thus, we aren't going to be able to sign some of the big name FAs that some of us had hoped. We won't be signing Ngakoue or any first tier Edge Rusher, CB or OL. It looks like Todd McShay is right. Douglas is going to have to go for underrated/undervalued players who are mostly younger, and that's if he trades Avery Williamson and cuts Brian Winters, and the other players I've listed, and that's not a given. There are only a few players he could restructure to try to gain additional cap space (Sam Darnold, Jamison Crowder and CJ Mosley). He may not want to mess with Sam's contract, but Sam is probably the best place to go since Sam is likely in the team's long-range plans, whereas Crowder may not be, and Mosley's contract is so big, he may not want to make it any bigger or longer. My dollar figures may not be right, either. Some may be too low, and others may be too high. According to Spotrac, Trae Waynes' market value is $8.4 million per season. If that's accurate, I figure several teams will compete for his services so the Jets will have to pay at least $12 million to get him, and potentially a lot more. I used Over the Cap's figures as they are generally more accurate than Spotrac.

Cap Space - $49,403,190 (Over the Cap)

Cuts and resulting cap savings
    Trumaine Johnson - $9 million (spreading the hit over 2 seasons)
    Brian Winters - $7,281,250
    Darryl Roberts - $6 million
    Josh Bellamy - $2.25 million
    Quincy Enunwa - $2.4 million

Cap Savings - $26,931,250

Trades and resulting cap saving
    Avery Williamson - $6.5 million

Total Cap Savings from Cuts and Trades - $33,431,250

Adjusted Total Cap Space - $82,834,440

Potential additional cuts if more cap space is needed
    Blake Countess - $1.2 million

Restructure if additional cap space is needed
    Sam Darnold
    Jamison Crowder
    CJ Mosley

Jets FAs to re-sign:
    Brian Poole - $8 million
    Jordan Jenkins - $10 million
    Neville Hewitt - $4 million
    Alex Lewis - $2 million
    Rontez Miles - $1.75 million
    Lachlan Edwards $1 million
    Maurice Canady - $850,000
    Arthur Maulet - $750,000
    James Burgess $750,000
    Frankie Luvu - $675,000
    Sam Ficken - $525,000

Total - $30,295,000

Cap Space Needed for Draft - $10 million

Cap Space Needed for In Season Emergencies - $5 million

Remaining Cap Space for FA - $37,539,440

FA Signings
    Halapoulivaati Vaitai OG/OT - $9.7 million
    Germain Ifedi RT - $7.5 million
    LeRaven Clark OT - $1.5 million
    Stefen Wisniewski OG - $1.5 million
    Trae Waynes CB - $12.2 million
    Marcus Johnson WR - $5.3 million

Total $37.7 million

11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

"I just think he's too good a football player to move on from when we're not 1 or 2 pieces away from a SB" I think this is the reason we do move on. We're not 1-2 players away from a championship. We're many players away. So to cut one to be able to add two or three you have to do it.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying but sometimes tough decisions have to be made to save some money and improve the team. I think this is one of those areas unfortunately. I like Williamson. He is a good player and fun to watch. Maybe if he restructures he stays but I think the likelihood is he gets cut.

I still go back to August when he got hurt. Why leave a starter in the 3rd quarter of a preseason game. I think they were looking to trade him last August. Could be wrong but have a suspicion about that.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they needed someone to call the plays. Stable, aka, good teams have a consistent system and veteran special teamers that can do that stuff in the preseason. The Jets, don't or didn't anyway. They had a brand new defensive system and no veteran backups.

Williamson was needed to organize the defense so they could get a better evaluation of the young defenders, especially the young corners

13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I like Avery

question is whether he's a luxury we can afford with so many other needs. We are already pretty strong up the middle at all three levels (relatively speaking compared to elsewhere)

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Last year he missed all of 2019 but his 1st year as a Jet during 2018 Williamson was awesome and recorded (16 starts) 121 total combined tackles (6 tackles for loss behind the L.O.S) (80 solo tackles), 3.0 sacks, 2.0 Forced Fumbles, 1.0 fumble recoveries and 1 Interception.

You line up Williamson opposite of Mosley with Gregg Williams calling the shots and you then feature and have a fierce MLB duo behind hopefully a dominant Quinnen Williams with Jamal Adams roaming the entire defense. You do not get rid of that type of potential; Avery Williamson is a must keep.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I found this article back in August. It says it was for him to learn the new not to better evaluate players or have him call plays. Maybe you have a different article. Either way we can agree to disagree on this one.

16. NCJetsfan

Keeping Williamson which probably would prevent the Jets signing another starter on the OL is mind boggling to me. Hewitt was very good last season and we already had one of the top Ds last season without either Williamson or Mosley. We'll have Mosley back this season. Williamson is a luxury. Football teams should be balanced. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to stop jonesing for only defense. This is an offensive league. The Jets have been trying to win with D for the last 10 years and it doesn't work.

AJT73 likes this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Don't talk to me about being taken seriously NC. You don't even WATCH the games, you look @ box scores.

And you're right, our defense was one of the best without either of our starting LB's in Mosley and Williamson. With Mosley and Williamson we'll have one of if not the best defense next year under year #2 behind Gregg Williams. And you're correct. It is an offensive league. But without a defense to stop these offenses... You have no chance. Especially come playoff football.

And keeping Williamson for 6-7M is not going to prevent us from signing another starter on the O-Line lol you aren't finding any quality O-Line starter for $6-7M. Stop acting and pretending as if we're in cap hell or anywhere close to it...

18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I appreciate the write up. Thanks for letting the air out of everyone's balloon regarding big ticket FAs....LOL JK. Your writeup is probably closer to the truth than most. Since you did not add EDGE as a FA I'm guessing you think it will be addressed in the draft? And if so I'm curious which one you like that will be available when the Jets are on the clock in whichever round...….

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

That’s like saying you won’t sell your old coupe convertible because you’ll get $15k and the SUV you want to buy costs $31k. Except now you have a family so you really need the space. Keeping something you don’t need just because it is not the same price as something you do need is makes no sense.

20. NCJetsfan

If it's addressed, I think it will be addressed in the draft with one of our 3rd round picks, but I hope that it isn't. If I were the GM in this situation, I'd wait until next year to address it. To get a difference maker at Edge Rusher, unless Douglas is really skilled in his talent evaluation, we'd be very lucky to find someone that would make much of an impact in the 3rd round or lower. We have to get an LT to protect Sam's blindside and we have to get Sam a #1 WR prospect with our first two picks. We also need a new starting Center. If it was up to me, the only defensive position we'd draft this year would be a CB in the 3rd or 4th round.

I'd go with what we have. It's not ideal, but imo the offense must get the love in this draft. Helping Sam develop into a proven FQB this season HAS to be the #1 priority. Nothing else is important relatively speaking. If we get our LT and a #1 WR out of this draft, plus an OG and a C, and have signed a #1 CB, then next year, we will be free to use our #1 pick on the best edge rusher we can get, even if it means trading up to get him. The only two situations in which I'd draft an Edge this year is if I didn't like any of the CBs left by the 3rd round, or if I was able to trade down in the 1st and add another 2nd round pick and another 3rd or 4th round pick. Then I might use the additional 2nd round pick or one of the 3rds on an Edge.