Conklin plans on signing with the Jets (Signs with Browns)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 1, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

If a superstar ever leads either the NY Knicks or NY Jets a Championship since the first time dating back to 73/69? He then becomes a living legend.

Someone like the Greek Freak would be larger than life if played in Manhattan rather than a small market Milwaukee. And someone like Dak Prescott who plays for America's team the Dallas Cowboys who you either love or hate wouldn't have anywhere near his popularity if drafted by say TB or Arizona or Jacksonville etc, etc.

Vida and BrowningNagle like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

totally true on both accounts

3. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

If there's one place to spend a lot of money into; it's the O-Line.

QB = Check.
    RB = Check.

Invest into this O-Line with not only 1 or 2 but 3 FA O-Lineman and all 3 being upgrades? And then we'll head into the draft with so much momentum behind a re-vamped offensive line for Darnold's protection and for Le'Veon Bell to run wild behind.

Draft a Jeudy/Lamb and we'll be ready to high fly. And then with the 2nd round pick go Offensive Line once again if not WR (back to back if we lose Robby).

Mr mittens and Frenbar like this.
  5. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The Jets need to come to their senses and draft a WR in the 1st Round; especially with the talent available in this draft. Can it really turn out any worse than the scrubs they've been drafting for the past decade? Oh yeah, of course it can. After all, it's the Jets we're talking about here.

Mr mittens likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Conklin is planning to sign with the Jets, I hope he's planning to sign for less than $10 million per season, because that's about all the Jets can afford to pay him if they plan on signing any other FAs to fill holes.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

All the literature out there seems to indicate he expects north of $16 M per. Cant imagine JD going all in on one player.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! I've seen $18-$19 million listed as what Conklin will get. There's no way the Jets can afford that unless they only plan on signing a couple of FAs.

LAJet likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I've been looking at the Spotrac market values on these guys, it's the first year they've done it and only have values for about a half dozen at each position. It will be interesting to follow how close they are when these guys get signed. Conklin is shown at a hair over $15 million.

10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Uh, Florida? And Florida is in better fiscal shape.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That sort of money should only be spent on genuine superstar players because obviously you can only fit a few such salaries under the cap. Is Conklin a superstar? From what I've read he's a very good tackle, but most likely a right tackle. Excels at run blocking put iffy at pass blocking. He isn't a superstar, so if the price tag goes that high we have to pass don't we? We can't just pay that price because that's what the best tackle available costs. That's the route to continued mediocrity.

Improving the entire line is critical. I'd rather we spent that money on two or even three second-tier players. Guys who will improve the line at multiple spots. If we can't find players like that in free agency (I understand it's not like we can just walk down the aisle at the free agent supermarket and put three new players in our basket) then go heavy on o-line in the draft.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Florida is the second biggest leech on the federal government.

The Sunshine State has a 62.4 billion dollar balance of payments, which is federal money received - federal taxes paid. That's $2,977 per resident that Florida gets each year. The only state that gets more back is Virginia at $64 billion, another 'miracle' low tax economy.

You take the 62.4B that Florida nets from the government out of the equation and your economic miracle vanishes instantly.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I've settled in on wanting to invest in one expensive lineman, two lower tier lineman and a draft filled with them. Whether it's Conklin or Thuney or even if we step down a tier or two to the $8-10 million range guy.

What I don't want to see us do is sign anymore than one high priced free agent.

BrickcityJet, NYJFOREVER and J-Raw24 like this.
  14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

educated hunch that JD will not invest in pricey FAs. I expect more quality stop gap type players where a bunch of us will be scratching our heads but which will pleasantly surprise.

Raven's weren't into sexy acquisitions, and Eagles probably had more bad luck than good chasing the shiny penny. I just don't think that's his way of thinking

Even though i have mixed feelings about the amount of money Adams and Robbie might be asking for, I expect JD's more likely to spend more on those guys to start developing a culture where our players know if they work hard, grown and play team ball JD will have their back, do his best to make this their home, and take care of them.

We should also keep in mind that there are things we can do to improve our line without changing a single player. Quicker releases. Better use of TEs etc. (Of course i and any other rationale fan knows we need a better line, but we should keep in mind we have a lot of holes on this team that need attention)

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Jets were keeping tight ends in all season. It was so bad to the point where the Jets were keeping 6 or 7 guys in against NE and couldn’t even block 4. There were multiple times that happened. In the Baltimore game, the Jets had a moving pocket at least once per set of downs and it was instantly blown up, and that’s just on pass blocking.

The Jets pass blocking was bad, but their run blocking was twice as bad. They need a minimum of 3 new starters, hopefully one tackle and two IOL.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah. Tackles are harder to find. There's really no excuse to not replace two of the three interior lineman though.

17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

And the Jets are in a position where they can replace both tackle spots. They can get an absolute road grader in Conklin, whose only 25 years old (!!!!!!), and they can draft the LT of the future at 11. They’d have the tackle spots filled for the next 3-4 years minimum.

Conklin really needs to be a Jet when FA opens in a couple days.

FJF likes this.
  18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well last week that was the hot rumor about Conklin and the Jets for a few hours. Is it a case of ‘ where there’s smoke there’s fire ‘ or a completely made up story?

It was also reported JD told scouts at the combine the Jets were looking to sign two upper tier OL in FA........

Something is gonna give next week....

19. Jonathan_Vilma

One is really all I'd like. Because I think Conklin is young enough that he offers a good ROI, he's my choice.

Hopefully after that we look to do what the Bills do and go quantity over a couple expensive free agents. I think I'd prefer that approach even over getting Conklin. Because we have cap space but not an exorbitant amount with a couple of our own FA's.

If we sign Conklin or Thuney and they blow out their ACL in week 7 we've fucked ourselves.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I can see 1 top tier FA signing mixed in with a few tier 2 and 3 signings to make the OL as competent as possible before the draft. I'd love to land Glasgow. I'm sure Douglas has his eyes on Vatai in case Conklin's price tag is too high.