2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Lou absolutely has to get Sorokin over here otherwise the Varly signing will sink this team for the next five years.

but it’s not just the goaltending; the defense as a whole is terrible and are always chasing the puck and scrambling to clear the zone.

Red Menace and CBG like this.
  2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Blue,,,they are bad top to bottom the entire team,,,,nothing looks good -------nothing

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

for those playing along at home I still do not believe Sorokin is coming over ESPECIALLY to play for this team why should he ? I have never thought that he would come over, time will tell

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It looks better than it is - their record is 14-20 in games decided in regulation, and 5-7 in games decided in OT or SO, so in the old days they would be 14-20-12 since November 22.

5. JetBlue

I refuse to accept that. It has to happen.

6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

On the flip side if he wants to be a starter and he is as good as advertised then this is the perfect place for him. He will be guaranteed the starters job as both Varly and Greiss are backup material at best. This season can't end soon enough. At this point I am waiting for the Yankees to get started.

JetBlue and CBG like this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Blue ---it might not happen. They signed Varly supposedly ( so I read ) to make Sorokin want to come IMO Varly was NOT a great signing it was a knee jerk to Lehner and there are zero guarantees that Sorokin comes over

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Greg I agree ,,,,Greiss is making 3 million and is a FA he will be gone but Varly is making 5 million for 3 years,,,,thats a nice bit of change for a backup Goalie ) : in other news the Lee and Nelson contracts from last summer still make me iLL,,,,,,I never thought that either one of these guys were special or worth what they got money wise but again the Islanders were dealing out of weakness rather than strength. IMO the move was to start the rebuild after last season and during the summer but instead I believe that they stayed the course because they somehow thought this team ( which IMO ) over achieved last year was better than it actually is

Red Menace and JetBlue like this.
  9. JetBlue

Which is why Lou doesn’t get Sorokin here the Varly signing will be an abject disaster, not only because he’s proven to be a downgrade from Lehner but we signed him for longer than we would have been able to get Lehner for.

Red Menace and CBG like this.
  10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Blue = exactly. I don't know if Lehner would have made a difference with this team playing as poorly as it has defensively but I don't think he could have been worse. Besides he did a pretty good job this year and had decent #'s. It would be one thing if Lou had stayed the course and we were all sitting here saying " wow Lou had it right look at our progress " instead we are all sitting here typing "Lou , WTF ? "

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Today could be the day that this team has the plug on the respirator pulled,,,,,season has been on life support for months maybe today the suffering ends and we are put out of our misery ?

12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

At this point I expect another crap showing but if they are going to stay in the playoff race then this really is a must win as the Canes are only 3 back.

CBG likes this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Islanders worked very hard for that tying goal nice job, it is now 1 - 1,,,now lets see if it will carry over

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

finally got a power play and what a shock zero sots on goal,,,,,amazing

15. JetBlue

I’ve never seen a team take so many penalties when on the PP as this piece of shit team.

it feels crazy to turn so quickly on this team after the fun of last season and the start of this season but they aren’t just a bad team they play like fucking idiots.

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Well I could not have scripted that loss any better,,, what a ridiculous way to lose IMO there is no way that goal should have been allowed. In other news we had a power play with less than a minute to go in regulation but Barzal took an absolutely brutal stupid double minor and they lose in OT. Its been over for awhile guys we just need to play out this string to finish this dreadful season

Red Menace likes this.
  17. statjeff22

As I said earlier, I was at the game. It was a "good" game in the sense of excitement, but for most of it they were completely outplayed. They came out ridiculously flat and unprepared, and that's all on Trotz. The OT goal was at the other end of the arena, so we couldn't be sure, but I've now seen a replay, and there's no way that goal should have counted. I'm sure they would have given up the goal later in the power play anyway. The Isles' power play was truly pathetic. Some is talent, but after thinking Trotz could do no wrong for 1 3/4 seasons, I'm seeing a lot not to like about what he's doing now.

#3597 statjeff22, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Stat I still believe in Trotz but not so much in Lou. Look what Trotz has to work with talent wise its a joke. I think if the team was healthy and I mean having both Clutter and Cizikas out there and being able to roll 4 lines we would see improvement but who knows thats just my opinion. Even with them in the lineup these games were hard to watch but the team record was very good before those guys went down, something like 20 wins and 8 losses

19. statjeff22

I understand, but that doesn't explain the consistent sloppiness, lack of effort, and apparent lack of preparation in the most important games of the season. Those things have nothing to do with talent.

I still put most of the blame on Lou and the lack of talent/poor signing decisions, however.

20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Oh joy there is a hockey game tonight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.