Conklin plans on signing with the Jets (Signs with Browns)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 1, 2020.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The wording of Schefter's tweets have been absolutely fucking terrible in the last couples months. He isn't expected to sign with the Jets because he has a lot of suitors? In what fucking world can you come to that conclusion based off of having a lot of suitors?

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He knows that Conklin is not signing with the Jets. But he's not gonna say what he knows yet to set himself up later this month to be the first to report Conklin signs with ___. So later every media outlet has to say "Conklin re-signs with Tennessee, 1st reported by Adam Schefter ESPN"

azhar80 likes this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Would YOU sign with the JETS if you had alot of other options? ;)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I feel teams pay these reporters to send false info. Jets were rumored to have tampered with Conklin and within the same day they are not expected to sign him. I think the Jets paid Schefter to put the fire out.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. Al13

Al13 Member

yeah than this last year happened, with all the drama....

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No, you're the one who is missing the point and that's because you're so interested in making dumb political remarks. You said New York and even named Cuomo, now you're just backtracking but somehow manage to mention Bernie. We all know that there are state taxes to pay but the forty to fifty percent you cite is irrelevant. The only difference is state tax which most states levy so the difference, in most cases is only a few percent. Then when a guy ends up in the New York area he has many more opportunities to make money doing advertising and promotions than in bumfuck USA.

Agent's fees are regulated in the CBA; there's no difference team to team. City income taxes, if any, will not be a problem here unless a guy chooses to stay in the city - I doubt if any do but they may elsewhere.

Your naming NY was wrong; your entire premise is wrong and your political claims are ridiculous and now you're doubling down? Give us a break! There's a political forum open here for that kind of stuff and a BS forum for the rest of your nonsense.

7. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to get in the middle of y'all's fight but genuine question: is this still true? I feel like NY fans always say this but I don't see players rushing here to sign with our teams.
    I'm not disagreeing just wondering if things have changed with social media and such.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s not that true anymore. Lebron became a star in Cleveland, P Manning wouldn’t be a bigger star nationwide if he played here. Win and have a the right personality you will be a star beyond your sport. Location matters little anymore.

9. Ralebird

Television, advertising, retail, business in general are all centered in New York. It's always been easier to use local guys than to use a guy from out of town. That may have changed a bit but if they're not looking for someone specific I believe there's still a much larger demand here than in Kansas City.

10. BrowningNagle

I think its changing yeah you are right to some degree, but, I think it has changed because NY hasn't had anyone good in forever :(. If NY had a huge superstar, I mean a huge one like a LeBron or Peyton Manning, I think he would be a massive media star shattering any of the guys you mention. But everyone has sucked for literally 10 years, Jets, Mets, Knicks, all sucky

11. BrowningNagle

funny you mention Kansas City as they have the NFL's next great superstar, the very marketable Patrick Mahomes. And yeah, if he played for the Jets and accomplished what he is accomplishing now with KC, he would be 100 times bigger deal than he is now

12. Ralebird

Patrick who?

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"goT gAme fROm a GOAT at Tri-StAte Honda, thEy gIve mAd loVE. gO THeRe 'n TeLL em RoBBy AnDerson sEnT yA."

stinkyB, Jedi mind tricks and FJF like this.
  14. FJF

How much more could Peyton possibly endorse? It’s not like he is doing local Indy spots. Same with lebron. They would be bigger in our eyes because they are local and we wouldn’t feel differently about the championships they would have won for us but they wouldn’t be any bigger outside New York, IMO.

15. FJF

This is a good point, it’s probably better for the lower middle class of the pro sports to hang on in New York as long as possible and get those local hits and be a local personality and try to keep your self as relevant as possible after your playing career is over.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

Jeremy Lin regrets leaving New York still to this day because he missed out on millions upon millions of dollars from advertisements he could've had if stayed in NYC. Went from China Town with a huge Asian population to... Texas...

BrowningNagle likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

Yup. Lin really wanted the Knicks to match the offer, which they didn't/should've/couldn't?

The other players on the Knicks hated him because he became so popular. Talk about a team full of losers. No wonder they didn't win anything before or after him

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

I think big time players can become slightly bigger in big cities than in small cities just because there is more opportunity for them to be visible to more people. Peyton never did radio spots because the reach of Indianapolis radio probably never justified paying him what he wanted for a spot. But I definitely could've seen him doing a WFAN spot for a big time company and not just the small locK Mercedes dealerships.

NBA players are killing their own brand by bouncing around the league so much. Paul George, Kevin Durant and LeBron are all on their third teams among half the NBA. LeBron is the only one with staying power because he's a global superstar. Durant sold out and hurt his brand. Paul George cemented himself as a forever #2 beta. List goes on. But that's a different discussion.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Using ALL-TIME greats as an example really isnt a good analogy ;)

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

OK OK I was wrong. You're right....players who live and work in high tax states suffer zero tax consequences, so FA players deciding which offer to take will never have to concern themselves with state and local taxes. My bad!!!!