NFL Combine 2020 thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 26, 2020.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I’ve been coming to that same train of thought these last couple of days. I’m thinking OT with #11 assuming no trade and the Jets can still get top WR talent anywhere in the second through the fourth rounds. I can see them drafting two WRs there is so much talent this year.....

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

His uncle used to come to a bar I bounced at back in college when he was playing for the Skins. He was a big guy too.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Reagor maybe one of the early WR’s I’d avoid. Has supposed route tree issues and came in bigger than many thought. Felt he’d be closer to Ruggs then what he actually ran.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, mocks are a base for conversations/discussions, but they're often, if not usually, so off base, that it really skews discussions.

I disagree with #2. One can add talent and fill holes, especially at positions like LT, Edge, #1 WR, #1 CB. The draft is where you HAVE to fill those holes. To think that one can fill those in FA is just silly. You speak as if the only options are trading up for a game breaker or grabbing a mid-round jag with OK tape. That's being disingenuous to try to make your point, and that doesn't fly.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Your way off, you CANNOT go into the draft needing, or more accurately hoping, to put 3-4 players at the top of the positional depth chart. At best you can maybe do that with your top 2 picks. After that you’re just hoping to add some developmental talent, long term possibles and competition. Free agency is where you HAVE to fill holes. That’s the only place you know you can get nfl caliber talent.

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

7. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

I am ok using one of our 3rd rounder to move up for Wirfs. He just ran a 4.86 and a 1.69 10 yard. Plus his vertical and long jump were great.

ColoradoContrails, themorey and FJF like this.
  8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He is a top 15 pick.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Thomas might drop. Most Gms love combine numbers and Becton / Wirfs are stealing the show.

10. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

After that combine? He will go 5 to 10.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

They both have the tape to back it.
    Wills dropping. Projecting as a guard . mid be happy with Thomas but prefer becton first wirfs second. I think wirfs ends up in Cleveland though

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I'd prefer Becton but he'll probably be gone. I would be happy with Thomas as a consolation - he's gonna be an excellent LT.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Feels like Thomas is becoming underrated now. He remains my top OL prospect.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Becton still a little less refined in his technique but you can't discount his physicality and his impact, it shows up big time on tape. Thomas and Wirfs have the better overall tape I think in terms of consistency. Becton is your ceiling pick. Kind of hoping the Giants fall for Wills, that would be great.

I would take Becton no questions asked, gotta coach him up, and I think we got some good experienced coaches. Let him start at RT first. Would be really happy with Thomas, Becton or Wirfs.

ColoradoContrails, mrjet80 and FJF like this.
  15. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I Disagree Jones might be 5th ol on most drafts but imo I think he fits our ol scheme better then the other ot so like this said take best wr lamb or who ever jd thinks is the best then trade back up for jones

16. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

AJ Dillon with a 4.5 40 and 41 inch vert.

At 6’ 247.

Averaging over 110 yards per game rushing all three years in college and 10+ TDs as the focal point of BCs offense.

If someone doesn’t draft this man and give him the ball.

themorey likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Are you trying to say that one can't need or hope to fill 3-4 starting positions with a draft? If so, I agree that one doesn't want to put one's self in that position, but sometimes, it is unavoidable if one has lots of holes and limited cap space. One is also limited by the players that are available in FA. For certain, one can't expect to fill 3-4 starting positions in the draft, but one can always hope that a 3rd round will be able to start, especially if his competition at his position is a couple of JAGs. The reality is that even if one signs a FA to fill a hole, he may get injured during TC or get beat out by a rookie anyway. Thankfully, the Jets have a decent amount off cap space, and can create some more by jettisoning some players. Still, they're not going to be able to fill all their needs in FA. They can't sign 5 starting OL, 2 starting CBs, an Edge Rusher, 1-2 WRs and a backup RB in FA. Also, I never said that all 3-4 holes addressed had to be starting positions. 1-2 of them can be depth/backup/role players.

Think about our need at WR. Even if they re-sign Richie Anderson, they still need at least one more WR, and aside from Amari Cooper, and maybe Green of Cincinnati, there are no real quality WRs that will be available in FA. They're going to have to fill that hole in the draft, and if they have any hopes of having a true #1 WR for Sam, that will have to come from the draft. If they can't re-sign Anderson, then maybe they can sign Perriman, and then they won't have to draft and start 2 WRs, but if they lose Anderson, that's what they'll probably have to do, as there won't be much else worth signing at the WR position in FA. The Jets have holes at WR, all along the OL, CB, Edge and RB. IMO one shouldn't sign waste cap space signing someone just to sign someone, when he isn't very good and likely to contribute very much, especially when they have needs at other positions where can use their available $s and cap space. IMO their FA $s should go for the OL and CB positions, and if possible another edge rusher to pair with Jenkins.

The Jets need an LT, and they don't want to be in the position of going into the draft having to draft an LT, but if they can't re-sign Beacham, or can't sign Castonzo, then they'll have little or no choice. There are no other LTs who will be FAs that are worth paying the money that they would have to pay. I agree that if one can help it, one doesn't want to enter a draft having to draft a player at a position, but sometimes that happens in spite of one's best efforts to avoid it.

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Fuck me. Jon Taylor ran a 4.39.

I was hoping we’d luck into him in round 3 or 4.

zace likes this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Lol. Becton. 6’7” 364 lbs 17% body fat.

unreal.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

AJ Dillon had a good outing as well

NCJetsfan likes this.