Robby Anderson Rumor

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Feb 26, 2020.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

From Tony Pauline at PFN:

"
    4) Robby Anderson/NY Jets: League sources tell me the word is the Jets will try and re-sign Anderson. And why not? He’s been the team’s most consistent receiver and lethal downfield threat. He’s also built a great rapport on the field with quarterback Sam Darnold the past two years and that’s something the Jets probably don’t want to disturb.

If Cooper is tagged by the Cowboys, and both Green and Sanders re-sign with their existing teams, the conversation changes. Anderson will then be the top receiver on the free agent market and may price himself out of New York. The natural fit would be the Philadelphia Eagles, as the team needs speed at receiver, expects to lose Nelson Agholor to free agency, and Anderson is a Temple product. Then again, would the Eagles spend $10 million a year on a receiver when it seems that money is likely to be used on a cornerback?"

Not sure if this is so much a rumor or it is what we expected. I think with the new CBA and the salary cap increase I think the Jets make an offer that will go as high as $14 million. Somewhere between $12-14. I think Anderson will hear what is out there and weigh his options.

I think Philadelphia and Carolina make the most sense to me. Philadelphia receivers are older and they need to upgrade the position. Add in they are contending and he went to Temple I think he'd be interested. I can also see Carolina since he played with Rhule at Temple. Not sure of their cap situation and their areas of need. I know they Have Moore who looks really good and Samuels. Add Anderson to that group and it sounds like they are bringing Cam back, it could be a nice fast offense. I can see other teams interested too. Buffalo makes sense to me. Like Pauline says with Green and Cooper likely being tagged it'll drive Anderson's cost up and it'll price the Jets out.

#1 AJT73, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

yea not much new there

Jets69 and FJF like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the term is "weigh his options" not "way."

I guess they decided they don't need editors after waying their options

ukjetsfan likes this.
  4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the grammar correction. On the Jets message board I don't do the see three. Three people look at my e-mails, letters, etc, before I send it. Going forward I will send you my posts via dm. If you approve them I will post it. Thanks again. Changing it now.

24McNeil likes this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Or maybe just an electronic grammar check in Word? Maybe Grammarly?

ColoradoContrails and AJT73 like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

haha calm down, I thought that was from the original article not you

7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

No offense taken. I definitely failed grammar. I can't imagine how many posts I have on here that need to be looked at. I will use grammarly @dmw thanks.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

You forgot to capitalize the first letter of your first word... "The". You also forgot to put a period at the end of your sentence (after the word "options").

You have no right to correct inaccurate grammar, when your grammar is inaccurate to begin with...

rohirrim665, Jets69, boozer32 and 2 others like this.
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Romani ite domum. Thank you Sir, Hail Caesar and everything, Sir!

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

They’re their there

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's not Romanes eunt domus...

12. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Don't understand why we don't just franchise Robby. Paying him more than he's worth for a 1 year contract ensures Darnold has a target that stretches the field, while we sure up the line, and gives Robby another season to prove he's worth #1 money. If he's not worth it after this year, we then draft a WR, since we'll deal with the line this year.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets aren't franchising Robby Anderson because it's real money we're talking about not Monopoly money. If you disrespect the value of the dollar against both the cap and real value you wind up with huge repercussions down the road. Other players look at the transaction and weight their value against it. Agents look at gaming the system to get their player a windfall year at high guaranteed value.

You'd franchise Robby instead of letting him leave if he was actually a #1 Superstar WR. Franchising him as the best the Jets have would be a terrible idea for the long-term stability of the franchise.

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Kinda curious if this goes south and Robby is too rich for the Jets blood, if they pivot to Breshad Perriman, who finally realized some of his potential late last year. Probably has as much speed as Robby too but would cost maybe half as much. Just something to look out for.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Perriman actually looked like a legit all route receiver last year. He destroyed me in the fantasy playoffs as well. But he looks like he's bloomed into a legitimate player.

He was fast as fuck as UCF. He looked like he slowed down a little bit and got better at running routes.

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The Jets don't think further than next week. How else do you explain having Maccagnan run the last draft and then fire him? Franchising him is the safest route to take. They get another year to see what he can do and if they are out of the hunt they can trade him midseason or hold onto till the end and let him walk. Because right now with the current Jets we have no outside receivers. Crowder is inside, Enunwa is done and Thomas is also a free agent and old. Expecting a draft pick to come in right away is expecting a lot. Tagging him is cheaper than what he would get long term from the Jets and right about what he's worth.

rscherwin likes this.
  17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I read very recently that may exactly be in the plans for the Jets. Signing Perriman as Robby’s replacement....

Mogriffjr likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes I'm sure, now go write it 100 times...

TwoHeadedMonster and MoWilkBeast like this.
  19. tubby

tubby Active Member

How would you feel about franchising him but also getting a long term deal done before the July deadline to lower the cap hit?

boozer32 likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And franchising him indicates that they don't really know what to do, which is a very bad sign. Decide what he's worth. If he's willing to sign for that, sign him; if not, let him go.Franchising him is a bad idea.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.