Per PFT - jets told robby they want him back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 30, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What Bell has to do with Robby is that he';s an offensive weapon, and could conceivably be used as a WR, so my question was based on if a team is looking to upgrade its offense, would they rather pay Robby $14+ million, even though he hasn't really proven he's a #1-type receiver, or pay Bell $13 million and emply his talents assuredly better than Gase did?

And I'm not going to go back and read every comment about Robby, but I stand by my assessment that most people have not said he sucks. Have they placed less value on his skill set than you or other Robby supporters do? Yes, but that isn't "rubbishing" IMO, it's a difference of opinion and value.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Some belters in there.

If he stays in Florida he’ll be in trouble with the law again.
    yes. Robby needs to stay away from South Florida. Every offseason he's gone down there and gotten into trouble
    he is very over rated
    he doesn’t run routes well and is not a very physical receiver
    because it was a contract year we saw Robbie relatively well behaved
    i don't think he compliments a running game (can he block anyone?)
    is anyone here going to be surprised if he gets in trouble again, or if he has a down year or injury. I won't be. I don't think of him as reliable
    I don't like his skill-set
    I feel like once he gets paid, he is going to be another player that just cash's In, and fades out. Stops caring.
    they miss him on deep balls because he doesn't try to catch them. He doesn't fight for the football, nothing. Robby is part of that problem
    This idiot team will overpay him, and he'll completely vanish, mark my words
    Vyncent Smith isn't even much of a downgrade from Anderson
    the reality is its not that hard of a decision because he's not that impactful to this organization
    A selfish player with average production.
    He doesn't help his QB out and he rarely fights for balls downfield in traffic.
    you forgot his complete inability to block a single soul
    Sanders is also a reliable route runner, Anderson is not
    GM's let players like Robby Anderson walk all the time. Often they are better for it
    I disagree that he works well with Darnold anyway
    a reliable target and good route runner. Anderson is neither
    He did better, finally, in the second half of this past season, but that could be considered a fluke, or entirely due to his desire to get a big FA contract.
    Anderson isn't even that much of a deep threat
    Robby Anderson, doesn't show as much fight as he needs to. That's the problem. He doesn't fight for balls in traffic.
    It's a desire thing with Anderson sometimes
    Just imagine if he didnt spend the first 3 years being an absolutly idiot
    A receiver compensated at that level should make the QB better, he should be the answer to this excuse.

Once again on the value thing, you will be hard pressed to find more than 3 people who want to pay him 18m and one of those isn't really a fan of him but he would tag him for the year and that will be 18.4m I believe.

The vast majority of the Robby "supporters" because we have to be labelled as such for whatever reason are saying they would pay him 12m 13 at the most.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well can I be counted a s "Robby supporter" then (better than an athletic supporter I guess:)) since I would also pay 12-13 million. It;'s when the cost goes up higher than that where I say "Good luck Robby. Hope your new team works out for you". And I would have some reservations doing that, but the hard reality is that in the cap era, there's only so much money to spend, and they have a lot of other holes that absolutely have to be filled. In my estimation the Jets are not going to be playoff contenders this year anyway, so in my mind that gives them 2 FA and 2 drafts to find WRs at least as good as Robby, and I think that's doable. Bottom line: if he agrees to a contract here for $13 million max, pay him; if not, cut him loose.

As to all those comments, I don't think most of them are that off base.

Doreblade, K'OB and J-Raw24 like this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Bernie’s gonna tax the fuck outta the middle class to pay for it, it’ll be okay.

Cman68 and jonnyd like this.
  5. K'OB

See, that is a fair comment and nobody can have an issue with it, well bar those other two, you know.
    I did include a comment by yourself in there for a laugh:D

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The majority of these posts come from one person.

Robby is overvalued by the Jets and Jets fans. He should be though. He's the best thing we got for our young quarterback. We've had what? Two thousand yard receivers in the decade?

7. K'OB

Yes I didn't realise just how bitter he actually was, there were others though.
    It isn't that people don't want to resign him that is the problem for me, it is the made up rubbish to try and justify their opinion.
    Just seems odd to me.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't necessarily believe the criticism is unwarranted though or made up. He hasn't really produced at the level he is likely to get paid. He's only topped 800 yards receiving once.

You can say all you want above having a poor quarterback situation. It's true to an extent. But there are equally had situations out there that see receivers produce.

Courtland Sutton had over 1,100 yards receiving in a passing offense that only netted 0.3 more passing yards per game. Terry McLaurin (rookie) had 919 yards in the leagues worst passing offense (19 less passing ypg than the Jets). James Washington only started 10 games for the Steelers, played the same deep threat role as RA and had nearly the same yardage output.

He's not a victim here. He's just an average NFL receiver that looks like a superstar to us because of what we've had.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He looks like a superstar because of a few catches, let's get real. The bomb against Dallas, the dime from Sammy against whoever the hell it was in the back of the endzone this past year, the dime from Sammy last season against the Bills up the sideline then again on the crazy scramble for a TD. He's a deep threat. He's Tyrell Williams, Malcolm Floyd, etc. I want him back because he's got good chemistry with our QB and he's young enough that he can develop, but to pay him top dollar would be insanely irresponsible.

FJF likes this.
  10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He could be a monster if Darnold makes the jump to stardom.

Young QB, young WR why not give them a chance to grow together?

I just read the Jets are $49 million under the cap, could be as much as $70 million under the cap once they get rid of some dead weight.

They have no other big free agents of their own to worry about this offseason.

WHY WHY do they have to lose this player? Even worse lose him without getting anything in return.

It's one of the stupidest things I've heard of. The same old Jets thing to do,

11. K'OB

That is fine, but those WR's mentioned how many targets did they receive, I had Sutton in one of my FF teams and he seemed to get a lot off attention once he broke through, was it week 3 or 4?

At the end of the day, you can only catch what is thrown in your direction, but for example going off stats he had a bad day V the cheats but really how many of those throws could he have actually caught as Sam flailed away at the ghosts?

It is all a little disingenuous to keep saying people are overrating him due to the fact we haven't had much to cheer in recent times, I think he is better than average and believe he will prove that when we finally fix the OL, of course, Gase also has to plan him into the game as well or it will be a waste of time for all concerned.

FJF likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Anderson caught 105 passes on 192 targets over the first two years of his career for 1,528 yards.

Sutton caught 114 balls on 208 targets over the first two years of his career for 1,816 yards.

There's not much of a target disparity. Sutton makes himself available for a lot more targets because he's a much better player as well. He can run stops, bitches, comebacks, sticks, etc. Any sort of stop and turn route than Anderson is virtually a zero on.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Have to account for the times when Robby was open downfield and no one saw him. It happened a bunch of times in the Eagles game. Those aren't targets.

Sutton is probably a #1 in the NFL, but can't discount how bad our offense has been since Robby has been here.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

There's good receivers on bad offenses that have the same problem though and they routinely produce more. 2017 TY Hilton, 2016 Kenny Britt, 2016 DeAndre Hopkins, 2016 Terrell's Pryor, 2015 Jeremy Maclin, 2015 Sammy Watkins, 2014 Anquan Boldin, etc.

These are all receivers that outperform Anderson's career year on bottom 5 offenses.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Anderson doesn't get as many targets because he doesn't get open. The better players earn more targets. It's football not charity

You mention the seeing ghosts game, that's a great example. A big reason why Darnold was seeing ghosts is because the Patriots defensive backs completely erased Robby Anderson.

16. K'OB

Well, I guess we will have to wait to see what Sutton asks for when he rookie deal runs out for a true comparison.

But I see you managed to end with yet another negative :rolleyes:

17. K'OB

Yawn.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

It's not skewed though. You're just not completely realistic about the players limitations. Did you see him try to run a double move on Monday Night Football? Gilmore looked like he was jogging and covered it no problem. Why? Because Anderson rounds his routes off.

He can be a nice secondary piece to an offense. But he's not a guy that gets the ball on a 3rd and 9 slant or comeback to keep the chains moving.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

How many of those QBs are better then McCown / Falk? What about the offensive system? I'm excluding Darnold because Robby would've had better stats if he played all year.

Hilton, Hopkins, Boldin absolutely are better receivers. Probably Watkins too.

20. K'OB

I never said he was or could run those routes, we all know what he is good at and should be utilised as such.

Again this is why I wouldn't pay him more than 12m, what I am saying is there is no need to constantly put one of our own down while stating you wouldn't pay him 18m, there is only a couple of nutters that have suggested this, mind there was one nutter who suggested giving him the tag at 18.4m and he doesn't even think he is that good :p