Full Offseason w/ Full First Round Mock

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Robby and D Thomas back on the roster? I don't see it.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Thomas adds experience in Gase’s system which I see as a positive. If you don’t want Robby back that’s fine, there are just limited options to replace him. I don’t really want to use the first round of the draft because I would prefer to look towards offensive line help.

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Personally, I would love to see Robbie back. However, my gut feeling is someone is going to throw more $$$ at him than the Jets. Thomas is what, 32? Maybe he's got a year left, but didn't he end up on IR too?

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I can see DT back and I hope he is - on a one year deal anyway. Good locker room presence, dependable, past his prime perhaps but this rebuild isn't going to be completed in one off season. Signing DT should not preclude the Jets from drafting WRs perhaps even multiple picks depending on who else is signed in FA.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. mrjet80

I don't think Thomas wound up on IR - he would be a good stop gap while the WR room is reassembled IMO.

6. MaximusD163

Robby may get paid more than the Jets can afford, it’s certainly possible. There are certainly plausible options outside of Robby, though without his deep threat presence. I think Sam can make due with middle tier receivers if his protection is vastly improved, so as long as we are getting legit offensive linemen through both Free Agency and the Draft I’m happy.

7. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I like becton but I worry he's erick flowers 2.0. Hope they go tackle just hope they can go lower risk with that pick.

8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I used to see this a lot in the Army. Guys would fail height/weight, get mad about it, change their diet and workout routine and get ripped. They looked like monsters, and they could rock their PT test, but they would end up on a stretcher or in an ambulance 5k into every road march. The body stores fat for a reason. To much is bad, too little is worse.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's true. And some guys have the frame/body type to transform themselves into absolutely shredded monsters and suffer none of the aforementioned effects. While others simply need the baby fat to survive. They've gone their whole lives including college football with it. You always want to trim a tiny bit so you're conditioned for four quarters. But that doesn't necessarily become a 4% body fat guy. There's a reason that power lifters in the strong man competitions don't always look like bodybuilders.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mekhi Becton is 'big boned' and its cute. I love him so much. Again, no homo.

I hope he stays fat at the combine so everyone else is worried about it and our Jets draft that big boned cutie as their pro bowl offensive tackle for the next 10 years. :)

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Why would the Jets draft a QB for someone else and then take the worst of the top OL in this draft. Especially with Becton right there for the taking.

12. mrjet80

That’s a draft trade you’re seeing. In his scenario the Jets traded the #11 pick to the Colts and they drafted Love.

I agree with the Becton part. That is who I’m drafting in this scenario at #13.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

That is an incredible indictment on former GM MacIdiot that the #3 pick in the draft is projected as a reserve in his 2nd year. Think of the bonanza of picks he COULD have gotten had he moved that pick, instead of ANOTHER interior DL for a 3-4 defense. Dumb shit--glad he is gone!

themorey and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. MaximusD163

Yes, it’s a trade, the Jets drop down to 13. In this hypothetical scenario, the Jets like Jones and Becton. They go with Jones over concerns about Becton staying healthy long term with his size (see Kelechi Osemele). They trade down to accumulate another pick, and know that even if one tackle went to the Raiders, they would still be able to draft another. It’s just a hypothetical offseason for fun.

boozer32 and BrowningNagle like this.
  15. MaximusD163

Well, he may be projected to start. I wouldn’t go off of what I (a random fan) lists on a message board post. I think Mac’s issue was less about drafting bad players, and more about not working in conjunction with the new coaches. I think he got worse over time, as he felt the scorch on his ass from the hot seat. I’m not saying he was a good GM, but I have the feeling the end of his tenure left a particular stink on his resumé that maybe isn’t a good representation of his full time in New York.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I hate the idea of passing on both of Jeudy or Lamb and after trading down? Jeudy is selected with the very next pick? No thank you. We can attack O-Line throughout Free Agency and the rest of our draft but come the 1st round I'd hate the thought of passing on both Jeudy and Lamb (unless Thomas, tackle, is on the board).

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

24 hours ago I would agree with you. I just saw a chart of how bad the Jets have been at drafting WR. They should go OL in free agency and draft some playmakers especially if they let Anderson walk. What good is having an offensive line with no talent to throw too?

18. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yea. Reminds me of our Brick and Mangold days. Great, great, awesome O-Line(s) but we always struggled with playmaker position(s).

boozer32 likes this.
  19. MaximusD163

Well, I don’t disagree with you. However, how the Jets have been at drafting WR’s has nothing to do with how this regime will be.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I appreciate your insight, but I think it WAS more about drafting bad players. In 5 drafts with the jets, MacNitwit drafted a grand total of 3 offensive linemen--2 in round 5, and one in late round 3. By contrast, the last 4 years the Pats averaged 2 OL per draft. The jets have had the worst OL in the NFL the last 4 years and actually need a whole new offensive LINE (not lineman) for 2020--THAT is squarely on MacMoron's drafting.