OBJ to Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, Feb 19, 2020.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

this is a great post

Also not to get too nerdy about it (and discuss statistical co-variance and what not) but there is an inherent risk with superstars when they are paid as such . If they go down, or under-perform, that is a huge impact on the team. When the talent is more spread out, or diversified, you end up being more resilient to injury/flame out

Consider last year: we had a lot of money in Mosley (injury), Bell (who some here thought single-handedly would transform the offense; he didn't), and Trumaine (a bum not worth the ink to criticize). Imagine if those assets performed at value.

Just take Mosley and Trumaine: our team was playing with 20 million hands tied behind their back because one superstar went down and another (who was paid as such) was actually a bum for us.

So yes everyone loves superstars, but you have to chase them very wisely because there is a risk associated with that investment that is less so when the same money is diversified across several other players.

EDIT: I should also add that one should consider the following. As much as one may like Mosley or Bell what are the odds that (at their high price) they will actually over-deliver and provide more value than their contract??? Now consider some lesser-paid candidate, choose your pick.

#61 chandler, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It would be nice if we could have our own (super)stars. Those are the ideal players to pay. They know the team, the system, the culture, etc....

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

mgmt: we're working on it! :)

azhar80 and CBG like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not fluent in Scottish but isn’t
    Git dae fook?

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'd rather have ODB.... and he's dead

BrowningNagle and Savatage like this.
  6. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I guess it depends what part of Scotland :)

FJF likes this.
  7. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Btw I'd take him for a fifth. A fourth if they flip firsts. If they want more I'd just send them a pack of paracetamol for the headache they'll be keeping.

8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Go to bed! I see you on facebook as well. No good. Sleep... Lol :)

donkey likes this.
  9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for quite a while now - those who win the free agency rarely compete in winter.

It is quite logical, if you ask me; if all 32 franchises released all the roster, then assembled their roster at fair market value, they are all destined to go, on average, 8-8. In terms of talent, EVERY team is equal. That's not how you build a lasting dynasty. A winning franchise, by definition, underpays the talent it has. It has to. There is only so much a scheme can do for you. You cannot win the Kentucky derby on a fucking donkey.

For this reason I wasn't so keen on Le'veon signing. Or Mosley signing for that matter. If that FA signing is the key cog in running either the defense or offense - I get it. KC did get Tyrann Mathieu and his presence helped that defense a lot. Was Mosley that key cog in this defense? He wasn't even on the field half the season.

Thus I am leaning heavily toward drafting - and here's a small hoping that Joe Douglas actually knows how to build a winning franchise.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Pipe dream.

Likely will never happen.

I'll say it again Cleveland should consider signing Tom Brady for a couple of years. With those receivers, Garret coming back they could do something in 2020.

azhar80 likes this.
  11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm still holding out hope we sign Robby & draft a kid in 1 of the top 2 rounds... I'm not a fan of signing an OBJ personality to this team.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Good post. It reminds me of the old adage: "I'd rather invest 1% in a hundred ships than invest 100% in one ship" (even if that 'one ship' is the best ship on Earth, ie The Titanic).

azhar80 likes this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You may have a point with fook but it is definitely tae :D

donkey likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Southerners :rolleyes:

donkey likes this.
  15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

You people are nuts.

This dude is one of the 5-10 best receivers in the league. An elite, game changing presence on OFFENSE. In his prime. Yea he’s a diva, if he wasn’t nuts he wouldn’t be available.

I would trade our second round pick in a heartbeat. We can recoup that pick by trading down and still getting a great oline prospect in the first.

To the people saying they’d rather draft a WR, we need at least two wide receivers.

To the complaints about his salary, most of the guaranteed money is his contract has already been paid.

If he’s on the trading block, we should be bidding.

azhar80 and Brook! like this.
  16. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

We've heard all the platitudes from the new staff and GM about "culture". If the Jets are serious about changing the culture and getting away from "me first" players, then this deal will never happen and isn't even on their radar.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

OTOH, one should wonder why he's being made available. Would we get buyer's remorse like the Browns seem to have gotten after just 1 season? The ideal thing to do is re-sign Robby and take a WR in the first 3 rounds.

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Sign me up. Yes to OBJ.

19. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

:) The in-laws are Glaswegian...I went with their pronunciation.

But yeah, Southerner and proud.

K'OB likes this.
  20. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Of course he wants back in the limelight somewhere. He hates it in Cleveland. They're in turmoil (what else is new) Mayfield is probably just as big of a pain in the ass as he is. This is the Beckham camp floating rumors hoping/praying the Jets ears perk up and they'll thing about maybe snagging him for cheap since the Browns want to get rid of him. Can Beckham come here and be a team guy, not ruffle any feathers, stay out of trouble? Can he make those kind of assurances to Gase and Douglas to where they believe him? Nah. This ain't happening. All smoke, no fire

Get to work on the damn o-line and let's not be baited into any Beckham BS here

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.