Full Offseason w/ Full First Round Mock

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Feb 20, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

This is a pretty long one.

Part 1: Cuts and Re-Signs
    Starting Cap Room: $49,693,190

Cut: Name (POS) $Savings
    -Trumaine Johnson (CB) $3,000,000
    -Daryl Roberts (CB) $6,000,000
    -Avery Williamson (ILB) $6,500,000
    -Brian Winters (OG) $7,281,250
    -Josh Bellamy (WR) $2,250,000
    -Quincy Enunwa (WR) $2,400,000

Cap Room After Cuts: $73,986,607

Re-Sign: Name (POS) $APY (# of Years)
    -Kelvin Beachum (OT) $7,500,000 (1 Year)
    -Brian Poole (CB) $5,500,000 (5 Years)
    -Jordan Jenkins (OLB) $6,000,000 (4 Years)
    -Robby Anderson (WR) $13,000,000 (5 Years)
    -Alex Lewis (OG) $2,500,000 (1 Year)
    -Demaryius Thomas (WR) $2,000,000 (1 Year)
    -Neville Hewitt (ILB) $1,500,000 (2 Years)

-James Burgess (ILB) $2,144,000 (Original Round RFA Tender)
    -Arthur Maulet (CB) $2,144,000 (Original Round RFA Tender)

Cap Room After Re-Signs: $36,591,440

The players who I would target in Free Agency are fairly limited, as we need a year or two to get out from under bad contracts, in particular Trumaine Johnson’s dead money.

Sign: Name (POS) $APY (# of Years)

-Joe Thuney (OG) $10,000,000 (4 Years)

-Ronald Darby (CB) $8,500,000 (1 Year)

Cap Space After Free Agency: ~$8,091,440

Updated Depth Chart:
    QB: Sam Darnold
    RB: Le’Veon Bell, Trenton Cannon
    WR: Robby Anderson, Vincynt Smith,
    SWR: Jamison Crowder, Braxton Berrios
    WR: Demaryius Thomas
    TE: Ryan Griffin, Chris Herndon, Trevon Wesco
    LT: Kelvin Beachum
    LG: Alex Lewis
    C: Jonotthan Harrison
    RG:Joe Thuney
    RT: Chuma Edoga

LE: Henry Anderson, Kyle Phillips
    NT: Steve McLendon, Quinnen Williams
    RE: Foli Fatukasi, Nathan Sheppherd
    ROLB: Harvey Langi
    ILB: CJ Mosley, Blake Cashman
    ILB: Neville Hewitt, James Burgess
    LOLB: Jordan Jenkins, Tarell Basham
    CB: Bless Austin, Nate Hairston
    SCB: Brian Poole
    SS: Jamal Adams
    FS: Marcus Maye
    CB: Ronald Darby, Arthur Maulet

There are some fringe players and backups that I did not list on the depth chart, as I do not see them as being significant role-players in the season to come. Many of you may disagree with re-signing Robby Anderson, but to me giving Darnold the weapons and protection he needs is essential to avoid regression. The re-sign contracts are structured depending on the player. Some are built with “get-out” opportunities after year 2 or 3.

NFL Draft:

1-CIN: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

—Easy and not much explanation needed. Ohio kid becomes Cincinnati’s best QB since Carson Palmer.

2-WAS: Chase Young, Edge, Ohio State

—Adding strength on strength... Washington will likely be a top 3 pass-rushing team for the next 5 years.

3-DET—>MIA: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

—The Chargers are interested in jumping up for Tua, so Miami has to trade their first second rounder to go get him at pick 3.

4-NYG: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama

—As Washington improves their pass rush, the Giants desperately need to improve their protection.

5-MIA—>DET—>LAC: Justin Herbert, WB, Oregon

—Interest from Carolina pushes the Chargers up one spot to secure their new franchise QB. They only need to give up their first 4th rounder to make it happen.

6-LAC—>DET: Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State

—Detroit has just accumulated a 2nd, a 4th, and the best CB in the draft.

7-CAR: Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

—After missing out on Justin Herbert, Carolina decides to hold pat and take a tone setter for the middle of Matt Rhule’s new defense.

8-ARI: Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

—Kyler Murray gets help up front with his new LT.

9-JAC: Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson

—Jacksonville takes the best defensive player on the board remaining, a guy who can help their LB and DB issues at the same time.

10-CLE: Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa

—Cleveland takes its versatile lineman, hoping to give Baker Mayfield and chance for a bounce back year.

11-NYJ—>IND: Jordan Love, QB, Utah State

—Tampa and Indianapolis are both interested in this pick, but the Jets only drop down 2 spots knowing at least one tackle should still be on the board. The jets get Indy’s 3rd rounder but also give up their 4th rounder.

12-LV: Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

—Vegas gets the best WR in the draft at 12th overall, an absolute steal. Earlier in the offseason, the Raider’s also gave a 3rd and future second to Minnesota for Stefon Diggs.

13-IND—>NYJ: Josh Jones, OT, Houston

—Here the Jets take their LT of the future.

14-TB—>MIA: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville

—Miami knows it’s quality over quantity, so they move up a second time to get their guy. The final big time tackle goes to Miami, and they give up a 3rd rounder to make it happen.

15-DEN: Ceedee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma

—Drew Lock gets a big time playmaker to pair with Courtney Sutton, since all of the tackles are gone.

16-ATL: AJ Epenesa, Edge, Iowa

—A nice edge rushing piece that should help a healthier Atlanta team.

17-DAL: Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

—Dallas would love to take a safety, but Kinlaw still on the board is just too good to pass.

18-MIA—>TB: Jacob Eason, QB, Washington

—Tampa gets their QB of the future, along with an extra 3rd round pick for their trouble.

19-LV: Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

—Vegas can get a linebacker in the a later round, so they take another Bama player in the athletic CB.

20-JAC: CJ Henderson, CB, Florida

—Jacksonville has a great opportunity to take a talented CB here, giving them a more complete defense.

21-PHI: Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama

—The speedster of their dreams drops in their lap, and they don’t overthink it.

22-BUF: Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

—Buffalo gets their big bodied WR to round out their corps of pass catchers.

23-NE: Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado

—Shenault fits perfectly into the “find a role for playmakers” scheme of New England, and will be impactful for Brady day one.

24-NO: K’Lavon Chaisson, Edge, LSU

—New Orleans gets a steal with Chaisson at 24, and will be the pass rusher they need for one more playoff push.

25-MIN: Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU

—Minnesota ships out Stefan Diggs in the offseason, and adds a cheaper option for Kirk Cousins in the first round.

26-MIA: Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU

—Miami helps out their defense with on the back end, taking the best available player remaining.

27-SEA: Grant Delpit, S, LSU

—Seattle hopes to turn Delpit into a dominant, roaming enforcer by solidifying his tackling technique.

28-BAL: Kenneth Murray, ILB, Oklahoma

—Baltimore would love to replace the impact CJ Mosley had in the center of their defense.

29-TEN: Yetur Gross-Matos, Edge, Penn State

—Tennessee adds another outside rusher to stay competitive with powerhouse AFC offenses.

30-GB: Patrick Queen, LB, LSU

—Green Bay desperately needs more receiving help for Aaron Rodgers, so they pull an uncharacteristic trade for Odell Beckham Jr. sending their 3rd rounder to the Cleveland. This lets them solidify a poor run defense with a top notch LB.

31-SF: Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU

—Likely losing Emmanuel Sanders in FA leaves space for a quality WR in San Francisco.

32-KC: Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama

—Kansas City has the luxury of going BPA here, and a playmaker next to Tyrann Matthieu fits the bill. Daniel Sorensen is a FA after the 2020 season as well.

The Jets further have a second, 2 thirds (3 thirds in the scenario) a fifth, and 2 sixths. Acting like I have a good grasp of who remains would be lying, however I want a center, either Tyler Biadasz or Cesar Ruiz in the second round. I would then like Edge, CB, and WR in the third, RB fifth, WR and LB in sixth.

Brook! likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Don’t hate it. Think we get more than you mock us getting for the 11 though.
    After further review, I’d rather just take becton or jeudy than do that trade.

3. MaximusD163

Maybe, but according to this trade value chart:
    https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Gb
    The 11th is worth 1250 and the 13th is worth 1150, and the Colts 3rd rounder is worth 215, so that is a discrepancy. The Jets come out +55 in points in this scenario, after giving up their 60 point 4th rounder.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think you need to add $3-4 million to Poole and Jenkins per years. They both play premium positions and will command more money IMO.

I'm not a big Josh Jones guy. I'd prefer Becton there and I think there's more value to be has for a team moving up to get a QB.

Good job overall though. These are tough to do.

ColoradoContrails and mrjet80 like this.
  5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I dont like the trade. If Indy thinks this is their next QB then you have to make them pay for it. Ill take the 3rd rounder but they can go fuck themselves if they think theyre getting a 4th

6. FJF

I’m thinking it’s a seller’s market because really we’re better off staying put. So if they want a fourth back it’s going to be their 1st and 2nd for our 1st and 4th. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to pass becton or jeudy though.
    nice effort though. Like the free agency moves.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

In this scenario the Jets can still take Becton over Jones which is what I would hope they would do. The trade itself is realistic only if the Jets do not wind up giving the Colts back a 4th...….an extra third round pick could do wonders if JD utilizes it properly....

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

You're going to need to add money to that Thuney deal.

9. FJF

But you don’t know that when you make the trade. Don’t get too cute just to turn a 4th into a 3rd.
    Gambling on an extra 3rd would be ok.

10. mrjet80

Oh I see.....when #11 is flipped you have no idea if Becton will still be around at #14.....good point. I just simply didn't like his choice of Jones over Becton assuming both are there.

11. FJF

That was surprising too , the trade bothers me more. Was kind of pointless imo.

12. mrjet80

My dream for the OL is signing Thuney to replace Winters, resigning Beachum to a cap friendly deal, drafting Becton at #11, then drafting a center around the third round - possibly Hennessy. Your 2020 OL would be Beachum, Lewis, Hennessy, Thuney, Becton at RT for now with Edoga as a swing guy and Harrison also sticking around. (Edoga may eventually be the RT of the future with Becton moving over to LT...…)

13. MaximusD163

You move down to 13 not 14, but my thing about Jones over Becton is that Becton is one of those guys that’s sort of too big to exist. The chances of him having a long, healthy career are just slim I think, guys with bodies like those tend to break down faster. But as far as moving down, if you get to keep a 3rd that’s great it just doesn’t make sense in terms of trade value for the Colts. Giving our 4th for their third is the equivalent of moving up 42 slots, which to me is the equivalent of getting a potential starter vs what is more likely a career backup. In this scenario we could get more from Tampa but we also risk missing out on a tackle we like.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's a valid concern with Becton. You want to see him drop a little bit of weight but you also have to be worried because a big man gets to where he is because he's a big man with that strength that can still move. You don't want him to trim down all too much.

Doing so really hurt Kelechi Osemele. Dude was absolutely shredded with muscle coming into this season and he didn't have that raw power anymore because he lost too much weight and was too cut. Different sport, but the same thing happened when CC Sabathia lost a ton of weight and basically had to put it back on because his velocity was hurting big time.

15. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Reports I've read and film I have watched, as well as seeing him play live 2 times a year. He has lost weight this year and at the combine should weigh a bit less than he played at. My only issue with becton is his hands. His punches aren't as accurate as I would like. He gets a little wild. But that can be taught. If we pick him I think he give us 10 years. I'm all in on him if he's there. We need another "Brick" wall on that side and I think this kid can do it.

#15 J-Raw24, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    NYJFOREVER, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

points-wise you are correct. But in ctual practice, we would almost certainly get more because we know the only reason the Colts are trading up is to pick what they think is their QB of the future....that fact, if you believe QB is the most important piece gives us more leverage in the deal

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If I understand his selections correctly, you can still take Becton or Cee Dee with the trade down. That to me would be awesome

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's been shown that the Jimmy Johnson chart overvalues top picks. This chart is more accurate. http://www.footballperspective.com/draft-value-chart/

twown likes this.
  19. MaximusD163

The chart I used is not the Jimmy Johnson chart, there is a blurb you can read if you follow the link.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The chart you used is the Jimmy Johnson chart. The blurb links to an alternative chart, but that one values the 11th pick at 358 out 1000 points, not 1250 out of 3000 points.