OBJ to Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, Feb 19, 2020.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give up the draft capital it would take to get him, but he really does fit the mold for a "Gase" receiver.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

BN, how is it would ODB do well in the Gase system when GASE does not even do well with The Gase System ?

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

IMO = I do not want ODB anywhere near my already dysfunctional organization, do you people not get the memos on ODB ?

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

But... can you imagine what the headlines on the backpages would look like? It would be like old times with Rexy and we all know how much the Johnsons LUV headlines.. You can't have enough of them...

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The one thing I do like about this story is that it claims the source says Darnold is viewed as having taken a step forward. Which he did. It makes me feel good about what we have considering we have a head coach who made his job harder.

Imagine how attractive of a situation we’d have if we didn’t have a head coach misusing a star running back and then refusing to say publicly that he actually wants him on the team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Cman68

Worry not... This is Gase's make or break year so he'll either succeed or most likely be gone. Best case scenario is that he succeeds of course but if he doesn't, I don't think he gets three bites of the apple.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

believe it or not....i would kick the tires on this idea....as wild as it seems.

Mr mittens and chandler like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

well my worry is that he’s going to do irreparable damage to either our 22-year-old quarterback or the image of the team and we won’t be able to lure anyone here in our 22-year-old quarterback’s contract a year. Who the hell is dying to play for the Jets right now? Our head coach treated a star running back like a rotational piece and then wouldn’t even support him publicly once the season was over. We have the likes of Odell Beckham, notorious head case and extremely expensive, saying they would play here but I think it’s pretty obvious it’s because he wants the spotlight of New York again. I guess we have to hope that allure is strong enough to overcome Gase.

9. Cman68

Well, its been a long time since anyone would go out of their way to play for the Jets. We're like the NFL equivalent of the Knicks. Its too early to start planning Post-Gase however, with the 2nd most difficult schedule in the league, its not a huge stretch we see abysmal win/loss counts before the year is over. Toss in a meltdown or two and you'll have a recipe for sending Gase on his way. It won't be Manish Mehta or any of the NY Media that finally does Gase in, its gonna be his win/loss ratio. Sam will only be 22. Not particularly old in football years so there's always the chance Sam will excel under different mentorship and/or personnel. As far as getting FA's to actually want to come play for the Jets? We need to stop losing and change the perception around the team. That's gonna take a lot of time to accomplish. Selling New York is easy.. Selling the Jets? Not so much..

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd rather draft a WR than trade for someone who'd be on his third team in 3 years.

papapump, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

I just worry about the irreparable damage. These are formative years for Sam. I think a lot of Gase's negative effects can be masked by a good OL. Sam can make plays, usually unscripted. If he can continue to do that while also not having his fundamentals completely circle the drains, he'll be ok. I think he's good enough and strong-willed enough. The total opposite of Sanchez. But if we don't fix the OL and Sam is stuck running plays from this shitty playbook and having no time to do it? We're gonna have ourselves a huge issue come next season, Gase or no Gase.

Pepsiguy5 and Cman68 like this.
  12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i would kick the tires!

Randy Moss was once a cuckoo bird too; got to the Pats and absolutely killed it

You need a good FO that can look into the guys eyes, see his soul, and determine what he can do and is willing to do

Winning cures a lot of ills; losing creates drama

Again I'm not saying sign him up, but I definitely think you kick the tires and figure out is he the next Randy Moss rehab or incorrigible drama queen

Mr mittens and All Gas No Shake like this.
  13. Cman68

I would like to think JD, Gase, Williams and both Johnson Bros. see the need for a massive investment in the OLine. Something akin to the Manhattan Project is going to be required to keep Sam on a upward trajectory. Now we get to perhaps the real issue surrounding the New York Jets. That is, lack of a common vision for the team. If for some reason, and I can't envision any circumstance where any investment other than OLine is done in the early rounds we have picks in. If the investment is made anywhere else, then any reason for hope is futile. You have to invest in your most important asset. That's Sam Darnold. As long as we score one more point than the other team, we win so if we don't draft edge or CB, we'll be ok. If we don't draft OL then perhaps WR, we have a problem.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It's so hard to predict what to do in the draft because we can hit in FA. If we go into the draft with already signing Glasgow + Thuney/Conklin, I think you can wait until picks 2-3-3 and just slam OL. while going with Lamb or Jeudy at 11. Obviously if you keep Anderson or go after Cooper, then you go OL at 11. There are so many variables that come into this, but if 2 OL are not picked in top 3 rounds I do think we have an issue.

15. BroadwayAaron

Signing two new starters in FA, drafting Lamb or Jeudy in the first then going OL in the second and one of the thirds is my dream scenario. That gives Sam a TON of what he needs. Again there's just one huge, googly-eyed, emotionless, stubborn problem...

16. dawinner127

I'm all in on this plan as well. I would even offer the Giants 3 for Beckham or Diggs so you can go OL at 11. As long as we come away with an elite option at WR, 2x OL in FA, and 1 or 2 OL with picks 2-3-3, I'm ecstatic.

17. BroadwayAaron

I'd keep the extra 3. This WR class is super deep. Jeudy and Lamb to me are the top tier (maybe Ruggs) so I'd prefer to have them, but if you go OL at 11 you can still get a potential WR1 in the 2nd or 3rd. We are actually in a very very good spot draft wise. Thank you Giants.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

not sure that would get it done dawinner. the Browns are gonna want a 1st rounder, the Vikings a 2nd at the very least

19. dawinner127

Then I walk away. Beckham's headache ain't worth it for anything more than that. I would contemplate our 2nd for Diggs, but not thrilled about it. I would rather just hold the pick I think.

FJF, CotcheryFan and BrowningNagle like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

In this draft, considering what we need (other than a new coach), I'm not giving up anything more than one of our two 3's unless there's a legitimate star coming back in return.