DJ Humphries resigns

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by AJT73, Feb 18, 2020.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Humphries just resigned with the Cardinals 3 years 45 million 29 guaranteed. Averaging to 15 per year. I figured he'd get 12-14 million. So a million over what I thought. Conklin I figured would get 18 million but now I think it goes to 20 million. 4 years 80 million with 60 guaranteed. 20 million for a right tackle scares me. I'd rather go Thuney and Glasgow at about 25 million and then sign other players. Was wondering what others thought. Free agency gets crazy. One month away and it is already crazy.

FJF likes this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Key position players in their prime don’t hit FA that often. I will be surprised to see a lot of big name players in their prime hit FA this year.

Teams are getting smart, it’s better to overpay a little for a known than to cheap out and handicap your team for 3 or more years because a draft pick that was supposed to replace the FA you let go, does not work out.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. The Jets have to overpay because they have so many holes to fill in. That being said I have said numerous times I'd love to resign Beachum. Not the best but very good left tackle. Good locker room guy. I'd pay him 10-12 to stay for two more years. Problem I keep hearing he wants to go elsewhere. Like I said paying 20 for Conklin scares me. I'd rather overpay the guards and be able to sign players at other positions and draft tackles.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It bounces both ways though. I think in general it's always a little bit better to overpay an offensive lineman because of the potential longevity of the career. Loss of speed doesn't effect them like it will screw up a corner or a runningback or a receiver. They make it into their mid 30's at a higher clip.

The Titans gambled with Conklin by denying his fifth year option and may have screwed up. He was an All-Pro his rookie year then battled injuries the next to years and returned to form this past year even if he didn't get the nod. The Titans chose to pay RoidHead Taylor Lewan and probably didn't want to tie up so much money in two road grading tackles.

Conklin's injury history scares me. And he's a true right tackle. If he's healthy he's a damn good one.

Your strategy might be the better one in going after two guards rather than overpaying Conklin. The draw to Conklin is his youth though. If he stays healthy it's not completely unrealistic for him to play at least another 7-8 years at a high level.

Red Menace and AJT73 like this.
  5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Don't disagree with what you're saying. Not my money. Just scares me to put 20 million into right tackle. Left tackle yes. That's why we aren't the gm it's a tough job and many different opinions. In our situation either decision isn't wrong. The Jets need to sign 2 if not 3 starters and draft another two at minimum. I'm fine with how they get there. Just worried with 20 million in a right tackle.

It's funny. Just about every NFL team needs help along the offensive line. Other positions translate decently to the NFL. Offensive line not so much. I know the CBA rules restrict teams in what they can do but maybe between offensive coordinators, and line coach they can come up with a plan to better prepare these guys for the NFL. Not sure it will happen but would like it. The NFL needs better offensive linemen.

nycarl, Red Menace and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Suck it up. Ignore free agency. Build through the draft.

Andrew Thomas' entire rookie contract won't cost 20 million.

jilozzo likes this.
  7. Red Menace

I know that’s the right thing to do but Macagnan has shown us that it’s not as easy as it sounds. Hopefully JD can start cleaning up the shambles left behind by Mac this April.

FJF likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s even harder when the planes start flying 3 weeks into a coaches first season.

9. Red Menace

I’m not a fan of Gase, but I feel that JD is the most important piece of the puzzle right now, neither guy is going anywhere so I’m hoping JD does a great job with his drafts and it translates to a good product on the field.

6-2 to end the season is a positive sign even though it was a weak schedule, the first part of the season was nuts, if Sam does not get sick, maybe Jets don’t have such a bad first half and make playoffs.

We will see what a good draft and a healthy Sam can do for Jets this fall.

dawinner127 and FJF like this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I can see Douglas having a good draft but the team finishes 6-10 or worse because of the schedule and time it'll take for the new pieces to gel, especially the OL.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We fly planes AND put up billboards for GM's after a year and a half. So right around the start of next off-season when we go 8-8 they both could be on the chopping block.

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Planes, Jets . . . Seriously, though, the knee jerk hysteria is as regular as Grandpa on Metamucil.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, especially of the OL doesn't play a single down together until it counts.

14. Red Menace

If Jets draft OL with 1st or 2nd round picks, those guys usually need a small amount of coaching to make the transition. That’s why they are drafted that high to begin with, I also believe that a seasoned CS will help with the transition.

I don’t take stock in the difficulty of schedule, if your team has a good CS, skilled players and a good QB, they can usually make enough plays to win the games.

If team is healthy and JD delivers, I believe they go 9-7/10-6 and make playoffs.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you but if we ignore free agency we return with the same line and probably lose Beachum so it'll be Thomas who we draft, Winters, Harrison, Lewis, Edoga, and another drafted player or two. If that is the case I will not watch. Darnold would get killed. Bell would look like Kevin Barlow and the offense will be worse than the Vipers in the XFL. They have to sign linemen. I agree 20 million for a right tackle scares me. 15 for Thuney scares me for a guard. Resign Lewis. Sign Glasgow sign another linemen at the right price and draft three I can deal with that. Might break the bank for Conklin, Scherff or Thuney. Not thrilled but if we have to do it we haven't drafted a linemen in years. Draft three and we hope for the best.