Early Offseason Thread. Get er done JD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Maybe the assumption is that if you are a Jets fan that you watched him play this last season and can add your own adjectives. Cioffi is an unknown to most and the adjectives were to give an idea of the kind of player he is?

LAJet likes this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Or that Brown hasn't earned an adjectives. He doesn't have any impressive traits but he also hasn't shown horrible traits yet. It's a small deal kinda a do something to earn it deal. With the other 2 on the roster it just mean Douglas doesn't have to look for a te. Which is good. Focus on the thing we need. Brown isn't going to impress anyone.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  3. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Oh I agree with you completely. But to the other gentleman's point Cioffi hasn't really earned any adjectives yet either but still received them.

I'm not positive the point he was trying to make but it felt like it was a subtle implication that he was making and I was attempting to dispel it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I think him being a "standout" in the CFL and at Rutgers as well as his "blazing speed" are both things he could have earned. In no way does that mean he will be a good nfl player. We see players with great speed or that performed well in college all the time. Him being good in the CFL is fine, then NFL is a different monster. Fact is Brown may or may not be better in the CFL than he is in the NFL. But I think as far as Cioffi he earned those remarks. We just have to see if it translates.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But if he's in a car accident, dates a celebrity, catches the coronavirus or drops a record the headlines will call him an "NFL Star."

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Joey D should be making a call

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If it costs a first I’m out.

8. BroadwayAaron

Agreed. If it costs a third I'm 100% in.

jilozzo and FJF like this.
  9. FJF

Agreed but doubt we get that kind of bargain. Someone close to winning it all will give up the first rounder. Or the raiders will

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a trade a contender missing a CB might try to make.

For the Jets it's a non-starter because:

1. They're not a contender yet and wouldn't be with the acquisition of the best CB who ever lived, let alone Darius Slay.

2. They've already got good young defenders with goggle eyes fixed on a huge contract.

3. It's really crappy value adding a defensive player to a mix that was decent last year when the offense is in such bad shape.

11. BroadwayAaron

I could see the Lions having to eat shit a bit because they already tried to hold teams hostage once and it didn't work, plus you have to give the guy a new contract. I don't think many teams are going to be willing to pull a Rams/Ramsey with Slay.

We need corners. We have a great slot corner, we have a young up and comer in Austin but we also know very little about him. Past that, we have shit. Roberts should be cut. If we can solidify the defensive backfield with a CB for a 3rd round pick and manageable money, we absolutely should. You can use the first two picks on offense and, if you're smart about it, get two day 1 starters.

FJF likes this.
  12. FJF

* first 3 picks. We have 2 3rds this year.

13. BroadwayAaron

RIght, I'm saying if you can get Slay for a third you absolutely do it because you can still get two starters with the first two picks. Preferably WR and OL.

FJF likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Youd have to sign Slay to a new multi year contract greater than $15 million annually

also, Denver tried trading for him at the trade deadline. They offered Chris Harris Jr., a 4-time pro bowler and Detroit wanted a high draft pick to go with it. I doubt they are gonna let him go for just a 3rd like a few months later

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah. Slay and his camp are already saying he wants to be the highest paid corner in the league and looking in the $16 million range.

No thanks. He will be had for a second round pick when all is said and done. The Lions lose a lot of leverage because they and the rest of the NFL knows they don't want to pay him. The reported ask is a Ramsey haul but they'll settle for something less than that as the draft nears.

The Lions would be foolish to not deal him before this years draft if they won't pay him.

He also just turned 29. No thanks. Been there, done that.

16. BroadwayAaron

There's two things working against both the Lions and Slay:

The Lions lose more and more leverage as time goes on and Slay is not going to be paid like the best CB in the league. The more Slay turns down in negotiations, the less the Lions are going to get for him. Someone is going to have to bend, or another team has to get real stupid. I wouldn't go $15 mil a year for him but I'd absolutely give up a third rounder and pay him a little less, and sounds like a third may get it done.

FJF likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Right, I'm saying if you can get Santonio Holmes for a fifth you absolutely do it because...

Right, I'm saying if you can get Kris Jenkins for a third and a fifth you absolutely do it because...

Right, I'm saying if you can get if you can get Brandon Marshall for a fifth you absolutely do it because...

Right I'm saying if you can get Braylon Edwards for third and a fifth you absolutely do it because...

Right, I'm saying if you can get Leto Sheppard for a condition second you absolutely do it because...

Right, I'm saying if you can get Antonio Cromartie for a conditional third you absolutely do it because...

You're the Jets and trades like this always look good for at least a day or two in Jet-land. Sometimes as long as a season or two. *Never* for longer than that.

18. BroadwayAaron

I mean you just rattled off some pretty good trades so I'm not sure your point landed.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why do you want a 29 year old corner at a league record breaking contract? We just did this with Trumaine Johnson and he was a year and a half younger. We did it with Revis at a year older.

It doesn't work out for teams. Cornerbacks are like runningbacks. Draft them, run them through their rookie contract and either sign them short term to get them to age 29-30 or dump them.

I also don't think the pay him a little less thing works. A team won't trade for him unless they can work out a deal. The player has all the leverage to get what he wants.

20. BroadwayAaron

Stopped reading right there because I specifically said I didn't.