NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If we do not resign Jenkins, it would be smart to draft a Weaver in the 3rd round or so. We do need a stud pass rusher, but we also lack some good role players as well. Someone compared Weaver to Kyle Van Noy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I definitely agree that if we don't re-sign Jenkins, then we need to draft a Weaver or Willekes, but I'm hoping that we either re-sign Jenkins or we sign Matt Judon of the Ravens. I'd be happy with both Jenkins and Judon too. It may not be ideal, but would still give us a better pass rush and would make our overall D more sound.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Weaver is extremely athletic. I'm not really sure why you think he's not. I'd guess you've never seen him play.

Willekes is more of a motor athlete. 150% on every snap. Which means even if he can't rush the passer, he'll play in this league for 5-6 years at the least. Weaver just has a much more developed set of pass rush moves and will be able to absorb the NFL beating better.

4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I believe they are saying he isn't athletic because that is what is being reported by supposed draft analysts. I did see a "scouting report" saying it myself. But I have watched tape since you told me about him and he looks like a steal if he makes it to the 3rd to me. He could be out Maxx Crosby. He also seem to have a high motor. He doesn't give up on plays much. And the fact he has more technique than most of the edge rushers this draft is great.

5. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Did y’all order your Derrick brown jerseys yet? The media is already getting their standard jets BPA first round pick quips at the ready

“ I can’t believe he fell this far”

“ jets are getting a steal here”

“ he might be the best player in the whole draft”

But in all seriousness please god just draft a OT. Once April comes I will have more of a preference on which. As of now Becton is the one I want least as I don’t typically like late risers

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Weaver certainly seems to fit the type of player JD is looking for. I’d be ok with taking him in the 3rd if the offense has been addressed 3 times already.

I’d prefer to just address offense with all the 1st & 2nd day picks though.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Do you mean 1st and 2nd round picks? Round 3 takes place on day 2 and there's no way Weaver is available on day 3.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Nope meant exactly what I said. I like Weaver a lot but I’d prefer to use all 4 1st & 2nd day picks on offense.

I think it’s unlikely Weaver makes it to 3rd rd anyway as pass rushers are just too valuable but surprises happen every year so I wouldn’t say there is no way he makes it to day 3.

9. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I think we should use at least half of our fa money on the best available ol and back up ol. Then go wr in draft. We pick 11 and ol from college are hard to develop and we will be getting the 3 to 4th best ol in stead of the best wr to come out in awhile? The top 2 wr In this class should be going top 5 if it wasn’t for need and the qb starved teams. So I say grab a stud wr

BomberJet likes this.
  10. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Tony Pauline on his Draft Analyst on the BLEAV network reported that the Jets really like Anthony McFarland JR. RB from Maryland. No relation to Booger. First prospect I've heard linked to the Jets. Hear he fits Gase's outside run scheme and could catch. Had a better season in 2018 than 2019. Seems to be a third round pick. I'll have to go check him out but let the fun of the run up to the draft start.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Dude can absolutely fly. I hope we're interested in finding another runningback that can take over after Bell is inevitably gone after this season. McFarland runs stronger than his size indicates. He's only about 200 pounds but he's short so he's compact and he can run through some arm tackles.

At the very least he should be a good future third down back.

AJT73 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

http://turnonthejets.com/2020/02/new-york-jets-nfl-draft-day-two-three-wide-receiver-targets/

New York Jets NFL Draft – Day Two/Three Wide Receiver Targets

Michael Meegan on day two targets for the New York Jets in the NFL Draft
    February 16, 2020

Wide receivers the New York Jets can target on day two or three of the 2020 NFL Draft…

Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State

Aiyuk was a bit of a late bloomer at Arizona State as he took the junior college route his first two years. He blossomed his senior season, catching 65 passes for 1,192 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Aiyuk is a deep threat who can take the top off any defense, as he showed against 6th ranked Oregon where he went off for 7 catches 161 yards and a TD. Aiyuk is not that polished of a route runner but he is a guy who makes plays when you get the ball in his hands. He also provides value in the return game and should test very well at the combine but the depth of this receiver class could push him down the board further then he should he.

Van Jefferson, Florida

A familiar face for Jets fans as Van is the son of current Jets receivers coach Shawn Jefferson. Van did not have great production in college, as he never managed to reach 700 yards in a single season. Jefferson showed how experienced a route technician he is when he went to Mobile at the Senior Bowl and balled out all week. He drew comparisons to Terry McLaurin who did the same at last year’s Senior Bowl and went on to have a fantastic rookie season. Jefferson is a little older as a prospect, as he turns 24 in July.

Michael Pittman Jr, USC

A college teammate of Sam Darnold. Pittman and Darnold crossed over in Darnold’s last year at USC where he caught 23 passes for 404 yards and two touchdowns.

Pittman is a huge target at 6’4 and is extremely physical using his big frame to separate and make contested catches. Pittman put it all together this year with 101 catches, 1,275 yards and 11 touchdowns all while catching passes from 3 different quarterbacks. Pittman has expressed interest in a reunion with Sam and they have even been seen working out together already this offseason. He would also give Darnold a red zone target he has never had.

Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan

Jones is absolute athletic freak who has first round talent but due to future XFL practice squad QB Shea Patterson never had the production he should of at Michigan. Jones is a huge bodied receiver who has a very diverse route tree and is good after the catch for someone his size. He is projected to light up the combine and has a ridiculous catch radius. Jones can very easily destroy the combine and leave a top 40 pick but questions about production could let him slide to the Jets 48 overall.

Bryan Edwards, South Carolina

Edwards has been a steady riser in mock drafts and it is easy to see why. He has a very nice blend of winning physically at the catch point while still being a force after the catch and he will dominate the middle of the field at the NFL level. Edwards was a 4-year starter at South Carolina and his football IQ will help him contribute from day one.

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I'm on the Pittman wagon until i fall off.......which during draft season may be tomorrow. LOL

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Would love van Jefferson. And I think you have to include Justin Jefferson in this list. Not sure he is going i the first. Too many wide outs in this draft. I would use one of our thirds to get up higher in the 2nd if he is available on the 2nd day.

15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Rumor heard that R. Anderson is asking $13-15M per year and the Jets have offered "just' $10m. I can't see any team meeting that demand. Even the Jets offer sounds a bit steep.

jilozzo likes this.
  16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

8-10m per IMO is it. Maybe with incentives 10-11m per

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

10M per year is fair IMO. Structure the contract so it's easy to get out of in a few years when his replacement is ready to go.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Even if it is a slight overpay Robbie has chemistry with Darnold.

Adding Jerry Jeudy as a true # 1 should open things up for the rest of our offensive weapons to get open.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Cards reached a deal with dj humphries. That should knock another tackle down a spot .

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

I can't imagine them not taking a receiver aka Lamb.

NYJFOREVER, J-Raw24 and LAJet like this.