Grading Joe Douglas- a tribute to Defense wins championships

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Feb 15, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

The best way I can describe the Jets is that the years since firing Ryan and hiring Gase were just lost. The time has come for Joe Douglas to really get to work. We actually do have a body of work to judge him, as he has been on the job a year, and I think it is really good.

So far Joe Douglas gets an A minus.

My reasoning is as follows.

Look at the Jet defense last year. Aside from Adams it was essentially a no name defense. Quality defensive players can be found in the late rounds and with UDFA. Douglas has at least shown he can do this- Kyle Phillips. The Phillips signing was great and had a ripple effect I will talk about below.

Douglas has shown an eye for talent on the OL line when he obtained G Alex Lewis. Douglas was able to find a quality player on the scrap heap- something good GM's need to do.

On the trade front he got what I view as an incredible return for Leonard Williams. Many will say a third round pick in this years draft is the equivalent to a second rounder in other years as the draft is loaded with talent. He got this pick for an underachieving player who never lived up to his potential. Who wanted to resign half sack Leonard Williams to a big money deal? Was Leonard Williams a player you want to pay when you have Adams looking for his extension. Douglas got a 3rd rounder this year and a fourth rounder next year, which can be used to trade up this year, so is in a way additional draft capital. That 4th rounder and one of the third rounders gives the Jets a means of trading for an additional second round pick. This part of the Williams deal is lost. Douglas essentially, cut bate on Williams and got a great return for a player the Jets were going to let walk. In addition, he did this while finding his replacement in Kyle Phillips. As a Jets fan who would you rather have next year- Phillips or Williams on a big money deal?

His big mistake was signing a player in Kahlil that should have stayed retired. You can argue that any GM would do this under the circumstances. I agree to a point but I still hold this against him. Lewis and Phillips show he can find talent. He may have passed on an UDFA O lineman because of the Khalil signing and cap issues. Andre James Raiders, Patrick Mekari Ravens, Shaq Calhoun Dolphins, Fred Johnson Bengals, Brandon Knight Cowboys. These are all guys that the Jets could have had and all look like they will be productive players in the NFL for years to come. The Jets would be a better team having anyone of those guys. All of them played a great deal this year and would have been good additions to a rebuilding OL. These are 5 players who went undrafted, play the OL and look like they are going to have productive careers. With the state of the Jet OL I feel they should have had at least one of them considering the cost.

With the Jets line being in the pitiful shape that it was, I am going to find some fault with passing on guys who had productive years and are playing on rookie contracts. Douglas has shown he can judge talent and I think the Khalil signing represents a mistake that led to him ignoring these UDFAs or being unable to sign them because of the contract. With the Jets OL as bad as it was you have to find fault with them passing on 5 productive, young and cheap players they could have had for nothing. When I look at everything I have to conclude Douglas passed on one or all of these guys because of Khalil.

Another small black mark is the kicking game. The Jets kicking game was putrid to start the year and Joey Slye was signed by the Panthers and started all 16 games. This is another UDFA in a position of need for the Jets that turned out to be very productive.

Douglas came into a strange and somewhat chaotic situation. It was different that most GM's enter and I think this may have led to some early turmoil where he had so much on his plate it impacted some moves. This is why I don't hold the kicking game and Khalil against him too much. He probably was not equipped as others, and as he will be this year when it comes to UDFAs.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The best grade Douglas can really get is incomplete. It's completely irresponsible of a franchise to let their GM conduct an entire off-season (while working against the coach) and then fire him a month after the draft.

He walked into a cluster fuck. The only thing I think we can realistically say about him is that he can identify weaknesses (ala center and tight end). Daniel Brown was the day one starter for four games with Herndon suspended. So he signed Griffin. Harrison looked like a weak spot so he campaigned a former All-Pro out of retirement and it backfired. He traded for someone who should've been a depth guard and was expendable at his old stomping grounds and he was our best offensive lineman.

The knock on that is that you'd have to look at this roster in the off-season and be a fucking moron to not see offensive line as a weak spot. So we at least know he's not a fucking moron.

He gets a couple off seasons. I think we'll find out pretty quickly what kind of GM he is though.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Phillips was a Mac signing. giving Douglas any sort of grade is just dumb. He got here in June and hasn’t had a draft or free agency period. But if you want to make a thread in tribute of DWC than good job.

#3 FJF, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Agreed with Vilma, the best grade Douglas can get is an incomplete. I think what I like most about him so far is that he has enthusiasm for finding talent to make the team better. I will not fault him for the Khalil move because he head was in the right place in addressing the offensive line but it just didn’t work out. Lewis signing wasn’t bad as he was okay enough to be a fringe starter, which is honestly all you can hope for when you’re past the draft and free agency. The Leonard Williams deal was great, the Jets got a steal there, but Macagnan had some good trades too so I am not ready to crown him there just yet. He’s basically said and done almost everything right so far, but this offseason is very complex to navigate through so I think in about 2 months we will have a much better idea of just how good a GM he is.

FinnishJET and Mogriffjr like this.
  5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This guy is obviously just a troll, his ridiculous posts!! It was confirmed with the thread title.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. NFLDayspast

You have a problem with a tribute to the greatest poster in the history of Jet message boards?

So it is a troll post because you don't agree with it? Yeah and Sanders will be president right? Free everything an $80 minimum wage!!! If I don't agree it can't be true, only my opinion matters.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Weak sauce trolling, 2/10 at best.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

U have 2 B kidding right?
    R U sure U have the right poster N not sumbody else?

TwoHeadedMonster and twown like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

[Subliminal message here^]

TwoHeadedMonster and MoWilkBeast like this.
  10. K'OB

More brick in the face than subliminal ;)

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Dude. You are forcing my hand big time. Truly. Even my boss thinks you are a troll. Your above statement is ridiculous. Consider this your last polite warning. Try to avoid such stupid remarks or I will have to bench you for a while. Consider this a friendly warning.

Mngmnt.

Jets69 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NFLDayspast

One joke out of 100 posts and this is your response. Literally one line and this is your response. Let me say I take issue with your tone and think it represents and overreaction.

The reason I used that line and referred to that poster jokingly was because I saw a guy in that poster who mercilessly got his balls busted because he wrote long posts. I saw what I believed to be overreacting to a guy who writes long posts and IMO it was mean. I don't know him but I know many sick and home bound people who often write long posts on message boards as a means of interacting with people. I take a different attitude than most and I truly suggest you think about incorporating it into your way of doing things. I am not mean to people on the internet. Look at any 1 of my 100 posts- have I ever said anything insulting? There is a poster on here who is a clear jerk and people will agree with that.

We had one on one interaction and i was nothing but nice and respectful to you. I refrain from being impolite online because I do not know who I am speaking to. I might slightly insult someone and because of their position and station in life it might actually negatively impact them. Someone could be dying of cancer and just undergone a round of chemo and that is why they posted something dumb. Not everyone takes this attitude, and I am a guy that really should avoid message boards.

Look at the post- it was about Douglas and contained nothing but facts. The guy has not been in a bunker. I wanted to point that out and with it being that long of a post I made a joke. It was one line in a legitimate post. This is your message board and I will respect that. Whoever your boss is does not like that poster. He therefore decided to discard logic and label me a troll for one response to a legitimate post. Again- your board, your rules and I understand that completely. To Brook, if your boss thinks that one response as a joke, after all the dissuasions I have been involved in, makes me a troll, then he probably should not be the boss.

I am not going to visit this board anymore. I feel this was an overreaction and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I will also say that you bringing back the politics section does not leave me with any regret over this.

With that said best of luck to all I have interacted with on this board you all seem to represent a nice group of people.

egelband likes this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well. This is your choice. Good luck. Bye.

Jets69 likes this.
  14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

How you fail to include the :mad: is baffling to me.

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

We have a poster on here who is a jerk?

16. K'OB

I was going for a subtle touch :p

But yeah, I thought about it and then thought about it again for an edit then couldn't be arsed lol

17. K'OB

Just the ONE apparently :eek:

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

...back to the thread, yes, there were some young lineman and kickers who went on to have a good 2019 season. Unfortunately, none of that was available when looking at players BEFORE the 2019 season. And for every young players that went on to have a good 2019, there were probably 50 that crashed and burned, never to be heard from again.

Take away 2019 production, and most of these really young guys would have zero tape to evaluate. Grabbing one of these guys is like flipping a coin.

19. K'OB

So we just need JD to be a lucky tosser then.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

quoted for length......too much to read. LOL