The Return of The Hidden Production: A Quinnen Williams story

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 6-10 once again, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Right. He didn't perform at the #3 overall level. But his career doesn't end at age 21. So instead of being a condescending douche, maybe you could realize that there could be more production in the future.

If we were to judge every player on their rookie year, D'Brickashaw Ferguson likely would've been cut. Because he got pushed around. It took three seasons for Cotchery to really get on the field.

Then again I don't know why I'm engaging a gimmick. Oh right. I wasn't directing my post at you.

FJF likes this.
  2. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

The only production in the future will be hidden. I’m not being condescending, nor a douche, I am being realistic. This will play out like Leo and my fellow fans (like yourself)will be toyed with and dragged through the mud being forced to listen to 2-3 years of the same old song and dance . It’s not fair to you.

I look out onto this message board and see victim after victim trying to justify this pick. And it honestly feels like a partner trying to justify being in yet another toxic relationship.

Look at some of the pushback and rage that this post has received by those who are in Quinnens Qrew. It’s similar to the pushback and rage that someone in a toxic relationship would exhibit when pressed about it by a friend or family member. You scoff at me, tell me things will get better. But we both know it won’t..

Nobody wants to admit they were wrong, we saw it with Leo, we saw it with trumaine, and now it’s happening with Q.

I hope in the future you do come around to the Leo model but obviously I can’t force you to do so.

foreboding likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You didn't invent the model and you're not the first guy to recognize Leonard Williams sucking and try to force the comparison down everyone's throat.

But they're playing different positions and being asked to do way different things. I think the injuries hurt Quinnen Williams in a big way. And hurt him adjusting to the pro game on the fly.

He still has a ton of talent and is one of the youngest rookies ever. Defensive tackles often don't rush the passer well at all in their rookie seasons. They don't have a ton of refined moves because they don't have to use their hands much in college and can use power/speed to bowl over 280 pound guards.

FYI see below on sounding the Leonard Williams alarm early.
    https://forums.theganggreen.com/thr...not-the-great-player-we-thought-he-was.89233/

FJF likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

OP should put his account on the line this time.

Mogriffjr, FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  5. 6-10 once again

Quinnens thing in college was his technique and his hands. That was supposed to be his strength. While he did play in the traditionally tough sec conference it needs to be noted that the quality of pass fronts that he faced was unusually weak for the sec that year. LSU in particular was quite weak and that’s where most of the drooling over Quinnens film comes from. He was practically neutralized in the national title game against the best front he played.

I’m glad you saw through Leonard. You will get there with Q sooner than others

foreboding likes this.
  6. 6-10 once again

I am willing to do so.

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

No. His patronizing glad-handing ITT is hilarious. I just hope people keep disagreeing with him in provocative ways. More diagnoses please, Dr. 6.

8. 6-10 once again

This post I appreciate a lot. I find that humor is an incredible tool when dealing with NY JeDTs blunders such as these.

Every post whether disagreeing or not is one step closer to a cure. It gets the people thinking at the very least. There is more to this life people, acceptance awaits you all!!

twown likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No doubt Quinnen Williams had an odd rookie season for the #3 overall pick. I posted about it before, I don't think I have ever seen a pick that high borderline hidden or shielded from the media all year. Especially someone like Big Baby who usually gives a fun interview. He barely made any impact plays and rotated out of the line-up more than you'd expect. I know Gregg Williams said it was to keep players fresh, and it looked like it worked. Definitely too early to give up on Quinnen and too early to make assumptions about how he will train and live his life. Kind of ridiculous. We understand there are red flags that he may not live up to his #3 overall pick status though.

Biggs likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Certainly not for Robbie though.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. 6-10 once again

You raise a good point my dark knight friend.

The jets shielding of Quinnen from the media was uniquely odd. I believe it’s fair to say they are embarrassed and ashamed of him. The less exposure he has to the media the less questions asked and the less negative headlines produced.

Before the season they allowed him to participate in public interviews, give soundbites etc.

That all changed when they saw the big man embarrass himself on the gridiron.

Don’t think of it as giving up my friend, think of it as giving in... to the Leo Model. I think you are well on your way, you are closer than most!

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

This thread amuses me.

I am curious what your posts here would look like if the Jets had used the 3rd overall pick to select one of the other DTs who ended up being selected in the 1st round? Five DTs went in the first round this year, so it's hard to argue that the DT position is inherently unworthy of selection in the round. So let's say the Jets were locked into selecting a DT (rather than locked into BPA):

What would you be saying if they had picked Jeffery Simmons, for instance? Many (including myself) thought he was the best DT prospect in the draft prior to his injury.
    Or Ed Oliver?
    Christian Wilkins?
    Dexter Lawrence?
    Jerry Tillery?

13. 6-10 once again

You are describing a horror movie scenario. Locked into picking a DT...Jesus you are a absolute mad man.

If you know me you know I’m against any DT pick in the first round and would be upset with any DT selection. It’s the most plentiful position imo in the entire NFL. They grow on trees. GM’s never learn I guess, it’s not hard to argue they are unworthy of being first round picks. Its actually really easy.... many Gm’s just aren’t as smart as some people give them credit for. That simple. Many a board member here could out-draft a good portion of them.

I would be posting about those players in a negative manner for sure but Quinnen is unique in that my eye test shows me a player who has NO dog in him. He is lucky he was unblocked on those 2 sacks. They still count for sure but damn he could have been looking at 0.5 easily. Not sure if he will get lucky like that again.

Only other player I actually watched frequently this season on that list was Oliver. I didn’t want Oliver, I still wouldn’t take him in a MILLION years over Josh Allen. But at least when I watched Oliver I saw the mentality I want to see in my football players. He would still get criticism from me for not being EDGE josh allen and for not playing a premium position but out of this list he would probably get the least hate. Prettiest girl at the ugly festival I guess..

Judging solely by the other players stats and highlights I searched ( if you can call them that) they all would have gotten a lengthy post from me. 2.5 sacks was the best total I’m seeing and nothing crazy in TFL department either. That’s just sad.

Hey unlike Q though at least most of those guys managed to force a fumble. Still waiting on Q’s first FF in his football playing career.

#113 6-10 once again, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  14. TwoHeadedMonster

Note 1: I like horror flicks.

Note 2: Jeffery Simmons was on the injured list from before the draft until the end of October, and still had 2 sacks and 18 solo tackles. He still basically matched or bested QW's 2019 numbers.

15. 6-10 once again

I do as well my friend.

And ok fair enough , I definitely don’t doubt you that he is better than Quinnen.

16. 6-10 once again

You are a very enlightened poster. I’m so glad that there are people such as yourself who have accepted Quinnen as a generational bust.

It’s plain as day and you are just calling it like you see it, I think some of the Quinnen defenders get caught calling it how THEY want to see it and not how it really is.

The Leo model can save them from years of heartache. I know it can!

But cheers to you my brother !!!

17. TwoHeadedMonster

Just a cautionary tale for you to consider:

Defensive Tackle, selected 3rd overall in the draft, under performs his first year, only cracks the starting lineup twice, despite playing in all 16 games. Registers 1 sack, 1 FF, and 48 combined tackles for the season.

Ten years later, he retires with 8 Pro-Bowl and 5 All-Pro seasons under his belt and rolls into the NFL's All-Decade Team and the HOF.

I'm just saying, people have started out in the exact same situation as QW, fallen in a far deeper hole than he has, and come out looking like Cortez Kennedy.

Jets81 and stinkyB like this.
  18. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

I am glad someone is pointing out his embarrassing play. Maybe the Jets have truly changed... maybe they hid him because they figured they could still dupe some stupid GM on draft day to give up a first or second rounder for him. The fact they hid such a big addition, clearly shows the Jet organization was embarrassed of taking him at 3.

19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

All is forgiven, Q.

That gun charge? Consider it swept under the rug.

Just please go get some sacks for my football team.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical because he was drafted by Mac. With the trend toward athletic QB's quick pressure up the interior gap is becoming more important than edge rushers. Edge rushers often open the field for these mobil QB's to run or pass completely unimpeded. Exposing edge rushers is almost embarrassingly routine for smart QB's.

Fat when it's attached to strong hands, quick feet and a great burst can be more effective than muscle attached to slow feet, no burst and weak hands. Muscle is highly over rated. Leverage, speed. burst and knowing how to use your hands, highly under-rated.

Br4d likes this.