What pick burns you the most?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 17, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the only answer is polite. a 3rd rounder who didn't even make it to pre-season

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Sadly, the Jets were the same back then.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Vick blows

4. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Hackenberg. I was fed up with Mike M. before this pick, and then he ends up wasting a second round pick on a player that most observers were predicting would be a bust!

cval likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Apparently, based on this thread, the jets draft only goes back about 10 years.

6. TwoHeadedMonster

The Lageman pick gets a bad wrap. No, he wasn't the greatest 14th overall pick ever. Look at the Jets' 1988 season performance and roster, then look at the guys who were available at that pick, and tell me who whey should have chosen.

The easy picks are Steve Atwater and Carnell Lake, but both Jets' safeties, Rich Miano and rookie Erik McMillan were coming off career years. McMillan made the ProBowl and was named defensive ROTY. Picking a safety in Rd 1 didn't make much sense.

Andre Rison was a good player, but the Jets already had Al Toon as a dominating #1 coming off three straight All-Pro seasons.

Wesley Walls would have been a reach (was the last pick of round 2), and again, the Jets TE, Mickey Shuler was coming off a ProBowl season.

Wayne Martin, DE, who went 19th overall to the Saints ended up having a better overall career than Lageman, but Lageman was looking far superior until he was hurt (along with the basically the entire Jets roster) in 1992.

Who should the Jets have picked with that pick? It isn't a pick that should upset anybody.

NCJetsfan and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. TwoHeadedMonster

On that note, the 1992 season was a brutal one for the franchise-- Lageman lost for the season in week 2, after posting 10 sacks and 3 FFs in 1991. Al Toon forced into retirement after week 9. Dennis Byrd's terrible injury and medical retirement in week 13, which injured Merseareau as well. O'Brien held out, came back just in time to get knocked out for the season. To cap it off, McNeil retired after the season.

And people wonder why the Jets sucked for 5 more years...

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Babes in the woods, I tell ya. They don't know real pain. We even know phantom pain, like when you get a limb amputated.

FJF likes this.
  9. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

What is the age cutoff being able to complain about fandom pain?

My first painful Jets moment was as a 12 year old crying when Doug brien clanked the upright and than missed miserably vs the Steelers in 04.

I’m also a Mets fan who was fucked in 06 and 2015 and a rangers fan whose heart was broken in 2012, 2014 and 2015.

I have never seen a championship and don’t think I ever will

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Root for the Yankees.

But then again, being a lifelong Yankees fan, I figured out long ago that rooting for the Jets is my "cross to bear" for being a Yankee fan, so I guess you have to "pick your poison".

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Doug Brien, that's a half-way decent baseline for pain, but the Jets were already 41 years old by then (formerly the Titans until 1963). No worries, I'm sure you'll somehow be able to make up for lost time. We don't complain about pain. It's a just a thing that's a part of you, like a parasitic twin that sucks the life out the host; but you can't get separated because you'll die. Conjoined twins forever. I should take out the book of freaks my friend gave me. I'm sure I'm in it, probably page 9 or something.

Don't think you'll ever see a championship in your lifetime, that's the spirit. Join the club of perennial malcontents. I personally have a small kernel of hope it will happen someday . . . but then I slap myself to remind myself that hope is for fools. It's raining out today, whaddaya want.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

My son when he was a youngster told me they woul never win a a SB in HIS lifetime So now he zooming in on 50 & he looks pretty good in what he said 40 years ago or so :mad:

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Okay.

Steve Tannen.

14. Ralebird

In my neighborhood, hell, even in my own family, a twelve year old crying about a football game would have been given a reason to cry. And my memory says the ball hit the crossbar, not the upright.

15. 6-10 once again

I also cried when we lost the AFC championship back to back years . Back to back tears.

Probably right about the crossbar , I don’t dare ever rewatch the highlights

16. Ralebird

I'd rather see blubber on a DT than see a high school kid blubbering about a football game. You should definitely find a different team.

17. 6-10 once again

I need to invent the Doug Brien model to save myself.

But I can’t fulfill your request. We are stuck here together, forever fated to be on the same team.

18. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

gholstan, coples, pryor, just a few i can remamber

19. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

I totally agree with you! The biggest heartbreak of my younger years. After such an heroic comeback only to have it end on Simpson's interception.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Therapy, perhaps?