You are Joe Douglas. Tell me what you would do this offseason.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 18, 2020.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

So just pass my posts by I will not die from that action:mad:

2. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

Bring Philip Rivers to the JETS and get rid of Adam Gase

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Wow, don't have a hissy fit, it was just a question, nothing particularly wrong with your post content, a little depressing sometimes but the U R N is slightly 1990's teenage text speak when you had limited characters to play with, strangely recreated via twitter nowadays. Of course, rather than type all that, you could have just answered the question as to why you think N recreates an and in a sentence better than a symbol dedicated to the task for you lazy folk ;)
    Have a great day. :cool:

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hopefully we see hard evidence that this is the plan.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Cutting Polite before the season started was a good sign.

stinkyB, Vida, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

that took some onions. could have buried him on a depth chart or whatever but instead served notice to the team: this is a job, be professional...

stinkyB, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

2/12 Jets rumors per Connor Hughes:
    1. They are looking to resign:
    a. Jenkins
    b. Hewitt
    c. Poole
    d. Miles
    e. Copeland
    f. Canady
    g. Edwards
    All make sense. Poole and Jenkins only starters. Other good character locker room guys who help out on special teams. Poole and Jenkins might cost some but the others will come at affordable prices. Jenkins, Poole, and Edwards would be my top priority but they also seem the three likelist to leave if given a bigger contract elsewhere.

2. He says he expects the Jets to be in on Cooper. Interesting first time I've heard him mentioned to the Jets. Also expects the Cowboys to transition him and to keep him. I could see Cooper signing elsewhere. With the Prescott deal and others I could see him the odd man out. For what he is going to get I'd rather overpay Robby at 15 million than Cooper at 20. I could see the Jets talking to Cooper but don't think it will happen.

3. He also expects the Jets to be interested in:
    a. Thuney: Been linked to the Jets often. I hope but we'll see who else is in.
    b. Judon: I like him but feel he will get quite a bit and we'd be out.
    c. Fowler: Could see him signing with us. Been linked to us for awhile. Be the right price.
    d. Graham Glasgow: Seen him linked to us a few times. I think we could sign him and not resign Lewis. Not sure who else will be in on him but definitely could see him signing with us.
    e. Jalen Mills: Makes sense. Eagles cb. Connection to Douglas. Good player will start and won't break the bank.
    f. Perriman: No Anderson or Cooper this makes sense. Showed promise last year. Looks like a late bloomer. Be a good signing.
    g. Funchess: If we lose the other three receivers I'd be ok with him but last resort. Injuries scare me off and I think the other three are better.

March 18th can't get here soon enough.

twown, Vida, Brook! and 7 others like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post, and many thanks to all the TGG members that keep us informed daily with great data and analysis on draft candidates, potential options, and insightful, positive inputs on likely Jet moves. Good info that keep us hoping for a brighter future in Jets land.
    It's refreshing for a change to read threads that focus on making this team better, as opposed to the myriad of doom and gloom one liners stuck in reliving the past forever, like nothing will ever change with the Jets, J&J are idiots and only hire idiots, and fifty pages of Gase sucks followed by fifty pages of failures drafting in the past, culminating with the "way-to-early to pass judgment" that QW is a failure because he is fat and did not have an all pro year.
    Life is too short not to keep your hopes alive. Go Jets.

Brook!, chandler, J-Raw24 and 3 others like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Cooper's a great talent and has shown he can produce but he seems to disappear for stretches of time. Does his production fall off the map when he gets nicked up a little bit? Is he a nagging injuries guy? He has monster games and then he has 1 catch for 19 yards games.

A huge upgrade over RA but what sort of long term commitment does he want.

I also don't get why we want Edwards back? Can we think outside the box and sign Marquette King to a futures contract from the XFL? Edwards was 33rd in punts downed inside the 20. He lead the league in punts and was only 13th in inside the 20 marks.

Maybe because we had years of Ryan Quigley and Edwards is kind of ok? I don't know where Ben Graham used to rank with all of those numbers. But I do know he could rip off 70 yarders here and there.

EDIT: just looked and 8 out of the top 11 punters in inside the 20 percentage were on playoff teams.

#209 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  10. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree with you on Cooper a top talent who at times goes missing. I'd prefer to spend the money elsewhere or on two receivers who can help. Just the way I feel on them.

As for Edwards, not looking at numbers he seems to be an average punter in the league. Didn't realize his rankings were so low. No problem signing someone else. Always liked Marquette King. Never understood why when the Raiders released him he never signed elsewhere. I'd definitely like the idea of him competing.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Overall, good work. but I have several areas of disagreement.

First, I certainly hope that the Jets sign more than one outside FA. Only signing Glasgow would be a HUGE disappointment when we have the cap space to sign several. In addition to Glasgow, we should be able to sign at least another OL depth player, if not a starter, a starting caliber CB, and possibly an edge rusher as well.

If Thomas was willing to sign a very cheap contract, I'd re-sign him; otherwise, I'd probably opt not to re-sign him and use that money on a CB or OL.

Second, I like your draft up through Uche, but I think it more important to draft a WR at #79 rather than a CB. If Douglas signs a CB (or maybe two) in FA, there will be no need to take a CB in this draft, much less two. Also, ideally Uche would be there at #79, although I doubt it, as he could easily go in the 2nd round.

Third, with Montgomery almost certainly leaving in FA, the Jets need to draft a RB. With Bell and Powell both being older and at least somewhat potentially more injury-prone, the Jets will need to make sure that they have a capable #3 RB. I don't see Cannon as a capable #3 RB. Who knows what, if anything, we'll get from the kid from Appalachian St. who was on IR all year.

Finally, imo it would be almost criminal in this deep WR draft to wait until the 4th round to take a WR, especially after missing out on the great WR class in the 2014 draft. Who is Clayton? Do you mean Claypool? If so, he's a decent prospect, but not nearly good enough. If the Jets don't sign a FA center, then they'll definitely have to get a C who can play early, which probably means in the 2nd round rather than waiting until the 3rd or 4th round, but maybe not. I've seen a lot of mocks with the Jets taking Nick Harris in the 3rd or 4th round. If they do take a C in the 2nd then they absolutely have to take the best WR left at pick #68. IMO Sam's development and success and upgrading the offense is definitely much, MUCH more important than adding a CB, especially when there will be some good CBs available in FA, but won't be any good WRs other than Amari Cooper, and he will cost too much.

#211 NCJetsfan, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    joelip and Vida like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

If accurate, I think that list is a mistake. IMO we cannot head into the draft having to take an LT. The Jets must re-sign Beacham or sign Castonzo or some other LT in FA. I have no problem with not re-signing Anderson, and agree with Jenkins, Poole, Edwards, Hewitt, Copeland, and probably Canady. Miles is ok too. I think Lewis should be re-signed as well. If nothing else, he's solid depth, and was a decent starter for us. I don't think it has to be an either/or situation with Lewis and Glasgow. Perriman and Funchess would be a waste of FA $s imo. I'd rather see Douglas sign a 2nd CB and/or a 2nd and 3rd OL rather than those two stiffs at WR. Cooper will cost too much, and his play is too inconsistent. Don't want Fowler, but I guess he'd be better than not signing anyone if he has cleaned up his act.

joelip and LAJet like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I don't disagree, but why do you think King is in the XFL instead of the NFL? I had never heard of him before, but after your posts did some research. I'm a little surprised that the Raiders gave up on him after he had punted so well for them. I'm also surprised that Denver got rid of him after he was injured. Was it thought to be a career-ending injury? If not, it's hard to understand why no NFL team signed him for the 2019 season. Do you think it's because of his on-field celebrations?

Brook! likes this.
  14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I haven't watched the Cowboys; will have to ask a friend

But does Cooper disappear or is it one of those Belicheck situations where the opponent just decides as a game plan they need to take him out of the picture, e.g., double team etc.

While admitting to not watching Cooper and thus being ignorant to a large degree on this, I inherently feel far better paying Cooper 20 than RA 15. I still worry RA will have off-field issues, is not consistent enough, doesn't catch well enough, and too skinny

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Since my earlier post in this thread, some players seem to have moved up the draft board (primarily Becton) and some others seem to have moved down (Trey Adams & Tyler Biadasz), and my thinking has changed some with regards to others and FA, and rankings will change following The Combine and Pro Days, I'm going to take a 2nd stab at this, and go with positions rather than specific players in rounds 2-7.

Release
    Trumaine Johnson
    Brian Winters
    Darryl Roberts
    Josh Bellamy
    Avery Williamson
    Quincy Enunwa (if he doesn't retire)

Sign in Free Agency
    Joe Thuney, LG*
    Matthew Judon, Edge*
    Matt Skura, C*
    Trae Waynes or Mackensie Alexander, CB*
    LeShaun Sims, CB (or someone like him that is a decent backup/role player)
    Joe Haeg, OG/OT

* denotes starter

Re-sign
    Kelvin Beacham
    Brian Poole
    Jordan Jenkins
    Alex Lewis
    Neville Hewitt
    Bilal Powell
    Maurice Canady or Arthur Maulet
    James Burgess
    Frankie Luvu

Draft
    1 - Mekhi Becton, Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs, OT
    2 - WR or C
    3a - C or WR (which ever wasn't taken in 2nd round)
    3b - OL, WR, or RB
    4 - RB, OL or WR
    5 - RB or OL
    6 - CB or OL
    7? - STs

or

Trade down

1 - Justin Jefferson, WR
    2a - Prince Tega Wanogho, OT or Lucas Niang, OT
    2b - OL or Edge
    3a - OL or Edge
    3b - WR, RB, CB or OL
    3c - CB, WR, C, RB or OL
    4 - RB, CB, WR or OL
    5 - RB, CB, OL, STs
    6 - STs
    7? - STs

Brook! likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

So you're saying we should dump underperfomers with a bad attitude? I know where to start...

Brook! likes this.
  17. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Well, I damn sure wouldn't listen to a f*cling word anyone that respected Macagnan would say. Mac was as DUMB as a rock. was right there with that dingbat. Douglas, imo, is going to turn out to be a decent GM, but it's a LONG TERM fix. This is not going to happen overnight. Mac f*cked the roster over 10 times over. Douglas is starting from scratch.

18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Two new rumors I heard the last few days.

1. SNY reporting we might have interest in Golladay if he is on the trading block. First time I've heard he might be traded. If he is he'd be a great addition. Not sure what we'd have to give up. Don't really want to part with one of the first four picks 1, 2, 3, and 3. We would though. Something worth following and would a great replacement for Anderson (who I expect to leave).

2. Not sure which podcast I heard it on. Either Stick to Football, or and ESPN bit about the Jets but they were talking pick 11. They said how the Jets probably have the four tackles as their pick. They believe they will get one. I do too. That being said they mentioned how a qb needy team or someone else looking to move the Jets pick could be had. Clearly with the combine and two months to go things can change but the first I have heard they might trade back. They said the four tackles would be on Douglas's list along with Josh Jones Houston and Austin Jackson USC if they traded back.

I'd be all about trading back for something like a two this year and a 1 next year. Probably some more but something like that would peak my interest. Knowing how much work on the offensive side of the ball we need plus help at edge and cb the more we can get in the top 90 would help us. Time will tell but I wouldn't be shocked to see a trade back.

19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Another rumor I heard today is that the Jets will be interested in Halapoulvaati Vaitai. Knowing our need for linemen and the link to the Eagles makes complete sense. Problem is I heard the Dolphins will be in on him too. So looks like competition. If we lose out on Conklin I can see this as plan b. Vaitai is young has NFL experience. I'd be very happy if we signed him. Looking forward to the combine as many more rumors will come out.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Golladay would be a bad pickup. Over-priced in both salary and draft value, he would be subtraction by addition from the moment the papers were filed.

The Jets need to draft their own great WR not try to trade for one on a market that will certainly drive up the price to the point the value is not there any more.

Marketing-inspired moves are not going to help the Jets sell tickets at this point. The only thing that is going to help the Jets sell tickets is building a strong roster that can compete in the AFC and move towards consistent playoff inclusion.