You are Joe Douglas. Tell me what you would do this offseason.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 18, 2020.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes let's not spend $ foolishly but:

What could have been if SD did not get sick..????? probably close to a WC entry this past Season

So In assuming a modest 35% improvement on the Roster courtesy of JD I want Gase getting us to a WC or short playoff run for 2020..enough waiting after 9 years smh!

If Gase can't get the team winning ...he's gotta go

Vida and egelband like this.
  2. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

If I’m Joe Douglas that means I have a wife, which means I get to have sex for the first time in 7 months. We are already off to a good start.

Perhaps more importantly it would mean that Gase and Quinnen would be off the team in short order. The media would try to tell me “it’s a clown move for trading a 3rd overall pick after one year” but I’m not the doofus who drafted a run stuffer with a premium pick, just the man who is trying to salvage it.

Thinking about being joe Douglas is actually getting me too excited to continue this post , I think I’m gonna go bang his wife , I mean my wife... .. fuck I’m a lonely bastard.

egelband likes this.
  3. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sign Jamal to a FQB like contract since we all know that with out a shut down safety U cannot win the SB

5. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Barring trades and considering both value and cost, my uneducated guess is:

Resign: Beachum and Lewis (OL, both proven NFL starters at reasonable salary); Anderson and Thomas (WR, High spending for Anderson, but he's an improving player with continuity and familiarity for Darnold); Powell (good vet minimum RB depth); Jenkins (good OLB starter) and Copeland (good depth/special teamer at vet minimum price); Burgess (no-brainer); Poole (no-brainer) and Canady (needed CB depth at cheap price).

Sign: Glasgow (proven NFL guard at reasonable cost, play him at RG).

Draft: Rd1 (pick 11): LT Becton (can play RT while learning the ropes or Beachum can move to RT); Rd2 (pick 48) C Ruiz; Rd3 (pick 68) OLB Uche; Rd3 (pick 79) CB Tony Pride; Rd4 WR Clayton; Rd5 CB Reggie Robinson; Rd6 TCharlie Heck.

Depth Chart:

WR 6: Anderson, Thomas, Crowder Rk Clayton, Smith, Berrios
    TE 3: Herndon, Griffin, Wesco
    QB 2: Darnold, Vet QB to be determined
    RB 4: Bell, Powell, Dixon, Cannon
    OL 9: Beachum, Lewis, Ruiz, Glasgow, Becton / (Reserves) Harrison, McDermott, Rk Heck, Murray

DL 7: Williams, Anderson, McClendon, Phillips, Fatukasi, Shepherd, Willis
    OLB 4: Jenkins, Basham, Rk Uche, Copeland
    ILB 4: Mosley, Williamson, Burgess, Cashman
    CB 7: Austin, Rk Pride, Poole / (Reserves) Maulet, Hairston, Canady, Rk Robinson
    S 4: Adams, Maye, Farley, Countess

P Edwards; K To be determined; Snapper Hennessey; PR Berrios; KR Cannon

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Brook! likes this.
  7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Sign an offensive lineman if there is a good one in FA. Trade down to get extra picks.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd love Ngakoue, but he's gonna cost way too much. Wouldn't even consider Clowney. He'll be almost as expensive as Ngakoue, maybe more, and doesn't offer a fraction of the worth in terms of pass rush. I really like Matthew Judon of the Ravens. If they don't re-sign him, I want the Jets to sign him. He's consistent and a very good player. Wouldn't consider Beasley unless there was no one else willing to sign here and he was willing to sign a cheap, prove-it deal.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm starting to seriously question Joe Douglas's judgment. Who in his right mind would take this job? :confused::mad::mad:

Seriously, the most important thing to do is fix the offense, especially the line. We aren't realistically winning this year anyway, so it doesn't matter if our defense has holes. But we need to figure out what we have in Gase and Darnold (gulp); we can't go into 2021 with them once again being able to use the personnel as an excuse.

NCJetsfan, Ralebird, Vida and 2 others like this.
  10. championjets69

IMHO u r deluding yourself with Gase at the helm :mad:

11. championjets69

R U aware of our draft history over the past 10 years? :mad:

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Close to a wild card entry is not where you want the team to be. That leads to the same thing next year and the year after ad nauseum until the whole house of cards collapses.

Buying younger 2nd tier free agents at 2nd tier prices is always an attractive option to fill holes. There are so many good things that can happen with that kind of buy and very few bad things.

You have the guy for a couple of seasons to evaluate at a reasonable cost and you have nothing preventing you from cutting him and moving on if something better comes along or he declines. If he plays up to his deal or exceeds it you always have the option to extend him if you think it's worth the risk to do so.

Buying 1st tier free agents at inflated prices creates the reverse situation. There are so many bad things that can happen and very few good things.

The guy is on your cap for 3 years come hell or high water and he's not cheap to ditch even after year 3 most of the time. See Trumaine Johnson as an example here. The other players on your roster set the big contract as a benchmark to meet for their own free agency options. See the recent revelation that Jamal Adams is likely looking at C.J. Mosely as the contract he wants to beat as an example here. The guy may get hurt. The guy may decline. The guy probably wasn't worth the cap figure in the first place.

You're just screwed when you play Dan Snyder's favorite game.

So what I'd like to see the Jets do is invest a bit of money wisely in younger free agents who might actually be worth what they're signing for and likely have some upside.

What I expect the Jets to do is same old same old and throw money at people because somehow that will turn into points scored and defended on the field. Which it most likely won't.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All this is true, but before any of that you need to have a blueprint of what your team is aspiring to. This has been absent from the Jets since Werblin and Ewbank. And its been the "secret" of the sustained success of teams like the Steelers, Packers, Cowboys (though not so much lately), Ravens and Seahawks (and the Broncos up until a few years ago).

Does Douglas have a blueprint? I hope so.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and chandler like this.
  14. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

History is a burden only if you make it one.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Starting early this year I see.

Guaranteeing 10 wins last season, which let's be fair maybe should have happened with the weakest schedule known to mankind, losing to Bengals, Phins and the opener v Bills would have given you some fuck you points, sadly we were that shit that we still managed to blow it.

Now you want a WC place and a short run in the play-offs before we have even improved the paper tissue OL, oh and Gase.

I seriously hope you are right but I will temper expectations again and will remain only mildly disappointed at our usual failure and if of course, the wildest miracles come to true then I will enjoy it to the full.

Brook! likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

AY
    Douglas has to have an idea of what he is trying to do. He's worked for too many organizations with a plan to blind spot the need for one.

What his plan is we won't know until after free agency and the draft. If it looks like the typical Jets plan then we'll know that he gave up his balls on the way in the door for a fat paycheck and we can start the burn the house down response.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

he has already hinted at it, i thought. Wants real football players, perhaps over athletes. Looking for toughness and IQ and inner drive. One might think that everyone is looking for that, but i think it gets down to priorities and what happens when Vernon Gholston is sitting their for the taking, or John Ross or umpteen others

I also think he wants to build the team inside-out

NCJetsfan and Br4d like this.
  18. championjets69

Nah history is FACT which is the problem around here because most posters on this board IMHO are in total denial of the FACTs:mad:

19. championjets69

When I went to Psyc the 1st thing out of the professor mouth which was the following" there are 3 kinds of people in the this world the very smart, the average, N then the below average. So far the Johnson has brought us only stupid people including the owners :mad:

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Just for those with above average skills, why don't you use the & for and instead of the N?
    I get that you like to save typing lots of letters but sometimes your alternatives are poor ;)