Early Offseason Thread. Get er done JD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Tajae Sharpe
    Keelan Cole
    Laquon Treadwell
    Demarcus Robinson
    Chester Rogers
    David Moore

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

One of these players needs to be added in addition to Robby Anderson. Not instead of. Going into 2020 with Josh Bellamy as #3 receiver would be irresponsible.

Anderson, Crowder, rookie, one of the above and Vycint Smith should be the 5 we roll into 2020 with.

Imagesrdecieving and FJF like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Bellamy is gone, he said his goodbyes on Twitter the other day. Otherwise, spot on.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I would add Allison to this list of potential wr4’s with upside.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Oh boy, pay Robby whatever he wants. Robby is like Beachum, it’s either him or another veteran which are all downgrades.

Cannot go into the draft with Crowder and Smith as only WRs.

6. Donttasemebro

I thought about allison but he doesn't seem to be turning the corner as a pro....i could be wrong on that

7. Donttasemebro

would love to see them add a guy like this to the WR mix

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If you told me all 6 of those guys were in the XFL, I'd have believed you without researching it myself.

Vida, Imagesrdecieving and FJF like this.
  9. Donttasemebro

another nice prospect that is unlikely to be overdrafted

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Whatever he wants no. But otherwise I'm with you.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Idunno man. A lot of people are going to fall in love with his height/strength/big frame. He plays like a tightend. I think he might be overdrafted. He just had some scrubs throwing him the ball all year and had the on the field incident.

His interview will probably help him a ton if that was a one time thing as a lot of people around that program are touting.

Good player suggestion though. He's going to draw a lot of PI and holding calls in the pros.

Donttasemebro likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

all are big downgrades. none of those are even WR2s. the only decent one is robinson

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

here is a WR who could fall to us in the 2nd. projected as a late 1st rounder

he's big and physical and could replace enunwa. tough runner after the catch, good ball skills. makes catches in traffic and will go up and attack the ball 1 on 1 downfield

14. Donttasemebro

waldman breakdown for shenault

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Shenault is good, very good. he's a playmaker that would be a great fit for what this offense needs. But he's not gonna be around for the Jets 2nd round pick. That's pick number 48. Shenault is gonna go in the mid to late first round, to last all the way to the late second would be stunning.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.nj.com/jets/2020/02/nfl-rumors-jets-add-another-former-rutgers-star-to-secondary.html

NFL rumors: Jets add another former Rutgers star to secondary
    Updated Feb 14, 12:03 PM; Posted Feb 14, 11:36 AM

By James Kratch | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    Blessuan Austin is no longer the only Rutgers product in the Jets’ secondary.

Former Scarlet Knights and Dayton standout Anthony Cioffi signed with the Jets following a Thursday tryout, getting another NFL opportunity after two years in the Canadian Football League.

Cioffi, 25, will play safety. He appeared in 33 games with 13 starts for the Ottawa Redblacks the last two seasons, registering a combined 97 tackles with four sacks, three forced fumbles and two interceptions. Ottawa played in the Grey Cup title game during Cioffi’s first season.

Cioffi was signed by the Raiders as a undrafted free agent in 2017 and was one of the team’s final cuts at the end of the preseason. He has not been with an NFL team since. Cioffi appeared in 47 games at Rutgers with 33 starts, playing safety as a junior and senior after starting his career at cornerback. He led the Scarlet Knights in interceptions in his final two seasons.

Cioffi, who was Second Team All-State as a senior at Dayton, has blazing speed and has been clocked running a 4.3 40-yard dash.

17. NCJetsfan

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/13/jets-announce-one-year-deal-for-daniel-brown/

Jets announce one-year deal for Daniel Brown
    Posted by Charean Williams on February 13, 2020, 6:58 PM EST

The Jets signed tight end Daniel Brown to a one-year contract extension, the team announced Thursday.

Brown, 27, was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next month.

He played 16 games for the Jets last season, starting five. Brown made seven catches for 72 yards and a touchdown.

Brown finished third on the Jets with 11 special teams tackles last season.

The fifth-year veteran has 42 receptions for 389 yards and two touchdowns in his career. He also has played for the Bears and Ravens.

Before anyone else jumps in, Championship!

18. NCJetsfan

http://turnonthejets.com/2020/02/new-york-jets-top-five-second-tier-fa-targets/

New York Jets Top Five – Second Tier FA Targets

Joe Belic with five second tier free agent targets for the New York Jets

Joe Belic
    Posted onFebruary 14, 2020

We all have our favorite targets this offseason, but with 32 teams competing for top players, it’s fair to say many coveted candidates will be donning other uniforms. Gang Green must dig deep to fill multiple holes, and in this week’s Joe Jet 5, I list some second-tier free agents Joe Douglas could single out.

Trae Waynes (CB):

[​IMG]

Gregg Williams did an admirable job last season, and the Jets finished 18th in pass defense, despite fielding backup caliber players. Still, 18th isn’t going to cut it, and an upgrade to the DB unit is a must, especially on the outside. Waynes has never lived up to his potential (as a first-round pick), and although it’s a weak cornerback market, I doubt he gets the number he desires. If Waynes is willing to bet on himself and take a one-year deal, I hope Douglas extends an offer.

Breshad Perriman (WR):

[​IMG]

Joe Douglas was a scout with Baltimore when Perriman was drafted in the first round (2015), and I have to imagine, if anybody understands what he can bring to the table, it’s Joe.

• Spiderwebs for hands (rarely, if ever, drops a ball)
    • Legitimate big-play threat on every snap (tied 6th in the NFL on targets over 20 yards)
    • Otherworldly speed to take the top off a defense (4.27 40-yard dash)
    • Versatile (can play X, Z, and slot): 482 snaps wide and 156 in the slot (2019)
    Perriman isn’t a substitute for Robby Anderson—I’d love to see them on the field together—yet, if they lose Anderson this offseason, Perriman could seemingly fill a similar role. Despite playing 288 fewer snaps, Perriman was tied with Anderson on targets (28 total) over 20 yards and hauled in eleven receptions compared to Robby’s nine. The former first-round pick is worth a gander, and I’d bring him in on another one-year prove-it deal.

Halapoulivaati Vaitai (OT):

[​IMG]

Rumors have been swirling that the Jets are content with Chuma Edoga as the starting right tackle. While there may be some truth to this talk, I don’t think it’s going to stop them from targeting Jack Conklin in free agency. Regardless, reeling in a big fish like Conklin won’t be an easy feat, and bringing in a player to challenge Edoga, if they strikeout this offseason, is a smart approach.

Here’s how Vaitai compared to Edoga and Shell in 2019, according to PFF:

• Vaitai: 541 snaps, 4 penalties, 2 sacks allowed, 64.6 pass blocking (PBLK) and 76.2 run blocking (RBLK) grade
    • Brandon Shell: 806 snaps, 5 penalties, 7 sacks allowed, 64.7 PBLK and 59.1 RBLK grade
    • Chuma Edoga: 421 snaps, 6 penalties, 6 sacks allowed, 53.8 PBLK and 54.8 RBLK grade
    Matt Judon (Edge):

[​IMG]

I don’t consider Judon second tier, but in contrast to what Yannick Ngakoue will fetch in free agency, he’s not quite at the top of the food chain.

The arrow is pointing up for this dynamic pass rusher, who will most likely be franchise tagged, but the Jets would be wise to make an offer if he becomes available.

Judon burst on the scene this past year with Za’Darius Smith (Packers) and Terrell Suggs playing elsewhere. He led the league in QB hits (25) and notched 9.5 sacks for the season. With his ability to drop into coverage (109 snaps), Judon’s versatility remains one of his best attributes, and he possesses all the makings of an every-down player.

Judon would flourish in Gregg Williams’ hybrid “3-4 attacking” defense and satisfy a much-needed void. Although the Jets were ranked 10th in defensive DVOA, the team lacked results from the edge, producing only 35 sacks, and ranked 26th in adjusted sack rate (6.2%). While Ngakoue ranks at the top of most lists, Judon would be a nice consolation prize (and approximately 3-5 million per year cheaper).

Judon never recorded double-digit sacks, but all signs suggest he’ll make a similar leap to his former teammate (Za’Darius Smith) this upcoming season.

Za’Darius Smith

[​IMG]

Matt Judon

[​IMG]

Graham Glasgow (IOL):

Glasgow’s ability to interchange between IOL spots makes him extremely attractive. He’s spent time at RG, LG, and center throughout his career. Center, in particular, with all the responsibilities, is quickly becoming the most significant position on the offensive line and, although I expect the Jets to fill the spot in the draft, it wouldn’t shock me if they started the rookie out at guard. In 2018, Glasgow spent the entire season at the anchor to help recently drafted Frank Ragnow acclimate to the NFL. Ragnow took over starting duties (at center) his sophomore year, and Glasgow moved over to guard in 2019, where he finished the year ranked twelfth at the position (according to PFF).

I can see the Jets taking a similar approach this season, especially if they pick a player like Lloyd Cushenberry (C), who wasn’t the “lead communicator” on his offensive line in college (LSU). Glasgow would be invaluable to this offensive line, and signing him could allow the Jets to clear another 2.25m in cap space by releasing Jonotthan Harrison if need be.

Glasgow’s grades, according to PFF:

• 2019: 872 snaps, 74.1 overall grade, 69.0 PBLK, and 74.2 RBLK
    • 2018: 1,076 snaps, 70.1 overall, 73.8 PBLK, and 69.1 RBLK
    • 2017: 1,042 snaps, 71.1 overall, 71.8 PBLK, and 67.0 RBLK
    • 2016 (rookie year): 758 snaps, 53.7 overall, 63.1 PBLK, and 54.5 RBLK

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sign Josh Norman

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How come Daniel Brown gets no adjectives? Cioffi is a "standout" with "blazing speed," Brown is just another guy?