Per PFT - jets told robby they want him back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But will Sam Darnold?

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes. He will.

Sanchez missed both Braylon Edwards and Holmes and at this point Robby Anderson is way better and more explosive than Edwards/Holmes at the time of their departures.

Sam Darnold deserves a Lamb/Jeudy and Robby Anderson 1-2 punch @ outside WR.

Mahomes has Hill, Watkins and Kelce. Sam Darnold deserves some playmakers too.

How can Jet fans cry about offense for many of years but then not want to pay Robby Anderson? Clueless.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't think so. It's not like Darnold & Anderson have a particularly efficient connection. I think Anderson's catch rate (targets-to-completion) which speaks to the efficiency of the connection between Darnold & Anderson, was in the 50% range, like 90th place in the league. No joke, 90th place

if you watch Darnold play its clear he is at his best when throwing to possession wideouts and he likes his tight ends. This team could use someone reliable that fits that mold

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Did it occur to you that the reason Herndon or for that matter last year Crowder are getting open is because teams have to use 2 defenders to bracket Anderson?

I bet if you put a receiver like Berrios who is not a threat for the explosive play as your number 2 receiver, Crowder or Herndon then get the bracket coverage and Berrios becomes obsolete because he is not capable of beating single coverage at the NFL level.

Now you don’t have a number 2, and your TE or your slot receiver becomes ineffective, leaving you with one receiver again. That in turn leads to a 30th rank passing offense and guys will be complaining about the lack of talent on offense again.

It’s really not that hard to figure this out, I’m not advocating for Anderson to get #1 receiver salary, but again why lose a good receiver for a couple of million dollars?

101GangGreen101, MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

I mean maybe but did that really happen a lot?

6. BrowningNagle

they were 32nd this year WITH Anderson. 30th would be an improvement

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The per year value of the contract doesn't even matter, it's all about the GTD money.

He's probably worth slightly more than Tyrell Williams because of the barren the WR market is right now.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

My 2 cents in just the logistics of it, if the Jets go ahead and sign Anderson to a long term agreement , JD had in mind all along to draft an OT in the first and 2nd rds. With Anderson and a healthy Herndon/ Crowder I don't see how we draft A WR at 11.

On the other hand, if Robby goes and JD can't lock up a #1 with a FA , I would expect a WR to be picked with one of the 1st 2 picks.

jilozzo likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They did not play the whole season together, if Herndon, Crowder, Sam, and Anderson played together the whole year, the offense would have probably been better, even though the oline would still have been the downfall.

I will say this again, I'm not advocating for Anderson to get paid like a number 1.

However, if the jets can keep a good receiver and add to the talent through the draft or FA I’m all for keeping and adding talent.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We want to add pieces around Darnold without subtracting. Of course paying $14 million for Anderson is ridiculous given his production and talent level. But for a decade of bad drafting, and the terrible free agent receiver class coupled with the lack of receiver depth, and we have a situation where we basically need him.

I think it's fair to say that Darnold has had the worst supporting cast in the NFL in his first two years in a long while. No need to make it worse.

Bortles (better receivers at least) and Stafford (Calvin Johnson at least) come to mind. But that's about it.

#110 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Red Menace likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yup, I hate mentioning APY ... not even sure why I mentioned that when I was clamoring for GTD before

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Robby is the toughest Jets Free Agent decision I have seen in a long time. Normally it is cut and dry Yes or No from me, but Anderson is different. He is a solid WR, who we know can get better. He has good chemistry with Sam. He would be really good if he could just be a #2 WR opposite a true #1 WR which he has never had the benefit of. I don't think he is a true #1 himself though or worth $14 million a year. Still, he is a playmaker and made some great plays for the Jets last year. He had to deal with 3 games with no Sam too, which made his stats look worse. I could see him dominating at his next team, or not making much of an impact at all. Same if he re-signs with the Jets. Either way, Joe Douglas is taking a gamble.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said, but what it comes down to for me is whether they sign him or not, they're not going to the SB next year, nor likely the year after, so I'm not willing to go "all in" on overpaying him. Now, if there were no salary cap, I'd be all for the Johnsons spending some of their billions to keep him, but the reality is that whatever we pay him can't be used for other holes like OL and a true #1 WR and a stud pass rusher.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

1. What if we get our number 1 receiver from the draft?

2. What good is an offensive line if Sam has no one to throw to?

If we don't re-sign Robby then we almost HAVE to draft a WR round 1 as his FA replacement will be a lesser player than him.

It's not a no-brainer to re-sign him at all costs but given our current situation it definitely makes sense to overpay for him a little bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BomberJet and MoWilkBeast like this.
  15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I know many here (including myself) loath Cimini, but he does seem to get a lot of "predictions" right when it comes to Jet moves. In a recent article he had Robby as only a 25% chance of resigning with the Jets.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i like perriman from TB........wonder what he will be asking for?

17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

1a And if you don't get a #1 WR in the draft who the hell do you propose to replace him with, because there's no one better available, except - if he gets to FA perhaps - Cooper. Maybe Clyde Gates is still available.

And 2a If you do get a #1 WR in the draft where are you going to get those OL improvements, not to mention get a competent #2 WR, from.

I do believe that it is possible to significantly improve the roster this off season, maybe not to become truly competitive but getting fairly close. Getting worse at one of your weaker positions certainly isn't the way to start though. Unless you are of the opinion that Robby is a scrub that can comfortably be replaced by one of the Smiths that is and there are a handful of posters on here who think that (just as there are a few who think he will become a true #1).

18. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I don’t want number 1 WR money tied up in Robby Anderson, too much risk. Take 2 Wr’s in this stacked WR draft class. One in round 2 and one in round 4 or so.

19. BrowningNagle

I truly believe that there will come a time when we are gonna be laughing about all the concerns about robby anderson leaving.

Its human nature to overrate "our guys" but the reality is its not that hard of a decision because he's not that impactful to this organization. If someone gives him too much money, so what?

jonnyd and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't think we should be tossing a blank check at the guy by any means but "he's not that impactful to the organization" isn't accurate. Going just by this season, he ranked 37th in receiving yards for WRs which isn't anything to write home about, but when you consider every team "starts" at least 2-3 WRs that means he's a very solid starter. No one within the next 10-20 slots behind or ahead of him is a journeyman type that you can pick up off the scrap heap and ESPECIALLY not this offseason.

BomberJet, FJF and Imagesrdecieving like this.