Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

to be fair though, its easier to "adjust" or appear to adjust when you have talent, which Gase doesn't have.

KC was down 10 points every single playoff game this year. Is Andy Reid a genius for adjusting? OR are Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Watkins, etc. just awesome players that are just harder to stop for 4 quarters? I mean Reid's been coaching for a zillion years and not exactly known for his in-game coaching acumen until now.

It's possible Gase isn't so terrible at in game adjustments as much as his players suck, so in a 4th quarter game the better players make plays. You can only 'trick' teams for so long. Bowles blew a lot of leads too.

Brook! likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I mean there were adjustments. How many bootlegs did we see Sam run in the second half of the year as compared to the first half? We saw a lot more pulling guards and tackles towards the end too.

Everyone requested more tightends, they get more tightends and tighter knit not to lose gameplans that rely on the defense to win games. But then Gase gets pegged for being too conservative.

It's so dumb. If you didn't see adjustments you weren't watching close enough. No amount of splitting Le'Veon Bell out at wide receiver was going to fix this offense. It's not the reason he sucked for 300+ touches.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I guess this is where we differ greatly. If you're a head coach your job is to figure out how to make everything work. No shit lining up one guy at a different position wasn't going to fix the offense but considering that guy made his money by being a stud catching the ball, why the hell would you NOT put him in position to catch the ball? There's absolutely no coherent excuse for that. And a big reason Bell "sucked" for 300 touches was because he was running directly into the heart of the defense almost every time he touched the ball despite the fact he's a zone runner. Why the hell would you hire Pollack who specializes in zone schemes, hand the ball to LEVEON BELL and run him right up the middle?

He completely botched the Bell situation. It's barely debatable.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

It's clear that you don't really understand how an inside run zone scheme works. There aren't holes in a zone running scheme. It's designed for the runningback to choose the best hole. The Cowboys run it. That's why Pollack was brought here.

There weren't many holes. It makes it tough on a running back. There weren't many broken tackles. It makes it tough on an offensive line.

So while the two entities sucked together, I'd imagine you didn't notice us switch to a scheme that had more tackles and guards pulling towards the second half of the year. This is a man blocking scheme that Bell ran behind in Pittsburgh. It allows for a guard/tackle to either kickout a defender and/or lead into the hole.

The results were the same. He got tons of balls, even if on checkdowns. He blocked a ton because the offensive line was terrible at everything.

The situation was botched because we signed a player that hasn't played in 21 months and was reportedly living an awesome life for the majority of that time, partying in South Beach and making his way in and out of strip clubs. Good for him. He came back and looked slow as all hell.

I know you're deeply afflicted by this because you were excited for Bell. But it's also a realistic possibility (given the tape) that he is nowhere near the player he once was. And he benefitted a lot from player with two (possibly three) Hall of Fame offensive players in Pittsburgh and a top 5 offensive line year in and year out.

Is that possible? Or Adam Gase gave him 300+ touches that were all absolutely terrible play designs, and that's the only summary you can come up with?

Mogriffjr likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

The more and more defensive you get... like getting worked up and calling people a prick or responding with nothing but condescension... the more and more obvious it becomes that you have no leg to stand on.

You're right, I have no idea how block schemes work. Gase called great plays. Bell was out of shape. It's so much easier to just respond this way at this point.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

No one's worked up. I only called the one person who deflects the conversation into semantics and not about football a prick. Not you. He can stick up for himself, I don't think you need to.

We can have a debate. But you make points, I counter, and then you counter. That's how it works. And your points just disintegrated into 'Bell sucked, it was Gase's fault and it's not even debateable.'

The player sucked and he duped us into a big contract. You were the poster child for excitement when we signed him. It's OK to acknowledge that it's not solely on the coach. But the only thing you can come back to is the coach, without looking at any other factors surrounding the team.

Gase doesn't play left guard. So I'm not sure why you're so incredibly upset with him.

FJF likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

Please show me where I said it was Gase's fault. I said that Gase used him terribly and completely mishandled Bell, that's not debatable. I never said it was all Gase's fault as far as I can remember. I'll be happy to eat the plate of shit if I'm wrong. I'm fully aware and capable of admitting talent was a huge issue and that played a big role in why Bell had a mediocre season at best. You don't seem to be willing to budge from the "this has nothing to do with Gase" routine.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Bro. Read your post history and tell me that this hasn't been a hundred pages of you dumping on the coach. Am I reading this shit incorrectly? You literally just said Bell's shitty season was all Gase's fault without directly saying it. It's bolded.

I'm not budging from the assessment that it's difficult to judge a coach with a bottom 5 talent pool in the league. He bought himself another season especially after seeing the quarterback progress in worse conditions than his rookie year.

9. BroadwayAaron

So you bold a sentence in which I say it's not all Gase's fault to prove to me that I said it's all Gase's fault? Interesting.

10. BrowningNagle

yards after contact Bell was 26th in the NFL among qualifying rushers. 26th. It stands to reason, if the problem was design/usage and not his abilities, that number would be flipped. If you run up the middle too much you obviously get contacted.

Bell lost a step, Gase's play designs or not. If anything they gave him the ball too much last season.

if you can trade him for a lineman, jump at the opportunity. But you probably can't trade him at all. So ride out the string next season and put him more in a timeshare

11. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

A.G is unique and not easy to judge. His personality is what ticks most ppl off, including myself. But that should not be what determines a good coach or bad coach.

We seen great starts to games which is great, but not enough 2nd half adjustments, which as stated earlier can be due to the lack of talent as well. Ppl like to dismiss Gase with his Dolphin history. But it should be noted in games decided by 8 or fewer points, Miami was 20-6, which was the best record in the NFL during his Miami stay.

So if he can coach his team to close victories then he can obviously make smart, quick decisions in real time. Question is can he attain the right players for his system? Can he keep the right guys get rid of the players that dont fit? That will ultimately make it or break it for A.G and most coaches.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Another guy who wants to talk semantics. You think words and sentences have meanings or something?

13. Jonathan_Vilma

I know your feelings are hurt because I said no one who posts here likes. But the adults are trying to discuss something. So if you have something to add, please do. If not, stop trying to derail the thread into a pissing match as usual. Thanks.

The bold sentences are contradictory of each other. But if you want to say that Gase botched the Bell situation and then backtrack and say I never said it's all his fault, then by all means; that's up to you.

Regardless. I don't know what sort of unique ways teams use runningbacks that we're neglecting to use. Do the Vikings do a lot of unique things with Dalvin Cook? Or do they throw him screens, swings and hand him the rock and let him go to work? Is Zeke Elliott split out wide and running double moves? Or are they handing him the ball?

I will concede that we probably could've split him out some more. The percentages you brought into play were 8% for the Jets (split out) and 12-15% split out for the Steelers.

He was on the field for 782 snaps. An additional 8% of snaps split out would've been 62.56. Rounded up to 63. I don't think that was the big difference in production here.

Handing him the ball up the middle is what runningbacks do. There aren't a ton of options on handoffs. Inside runs, outside runs and tosses. I'm not entirely sure what unique packages we should've deployed for him.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Ugh.....it was a long season and its already a long offseason. LOL

Brook!, NYJetsO12 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

And when the offensive line can't block in space, the run game is severely limited.

Bell wasn't split out wide more often because he is a very good pass blocker, if he wasn't in the backfield then odds are that Sam was going to get clobbered.

I'm not a fan of Gase, but the narratives the anti-Gase crowd are running with are very tiresome. If the offensive line isn't functional, the offense will not work, it all starts up front.

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Everyone should go back and watch even just the hightlight tapes of Bell in Pittsburgh. They weren't doing anything ground breaking. The difference is that first and foremost he didn't fight against any backside penetration when they did run zone concepts or even with man blocking and pulling guards.

Backside penetration is usually one of the top things that blow up run plays. Great play side blocking does nothing if you have run throughs.

The thing I noticed the most when watching some Steeler cutups of him on YouTube is the sheer amount of operating space he has on simple checkdowns. There are some plays where he's within a yard or two of the LOS and he has a five yard radius with no one around him. That'll make any runningback look good.

He doesn't have that here because he's the focal point of the offense. He was a piece in Pittsburgh, where he's the feature guy here. His foot speed looks terrible.

And then when they ran any sort of zone stretch concepts, or inside zone runs, he has two+ seconds to choose his hole. He didn't have that here because of horrible offensive line play, but he didn't help himself a lot. He doesn't cut back well. At least he didn't when watching him here.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's possible that Bell lost a step, especially early in the season before he acclimated to game speed, but it's clear that he was not being used to his strength. Even Gase admitted as much when he said - after the season - that he needs to study Pittsburgh's use of him to see what he can do differently. Kudos for admitting that Adam, but why did it take you all of the preseason - including the time you were on board and knew Bell was going to be be on the team - to figure that out? That's the kind of failure I keep looking at when I say he's not a good HC.

Funny how those who want to give Gase a pass for not having an OL to work with, condemn Bell for not performing with that same putrid OL.

18. BrowningNagle

you ain't talking about me here, or if you are you are wrong as hell, so Idk why you quoted me. I cited Bell's yards after contact- that clearly factors in the putrid OL as a running back is contacted more when his line sucks

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I have such a warm fuzzy feeling just knowing that the ass clown that the Dolphins fired will be roaming the jet sidelines and giving our boys direction next year ! Some people might think we are 1 year closer to the Super Bowl but IMO we are thankfully 1 year closer to Adam Gase' dismissal

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yup full blown cluster fuck.

comedy show.

CBG likes this.