Super Bowl LIV discussion thread (POLL ADDED)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NYJ79, Jan 19, 2020.

?

Who will win the game?

1. Chiefs

45.5%
  2. 49ers

51.5%
  3. Not Sure

3.0%
  1. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I agree he missed Sanders on that post which was huge...I just don't think he deserves the amount of heat he's probably gonna get..he's an easy scapegoat. The goat of the game imo is Sherman who will get a pass.

2. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with any of that...I would add Sherman as a main reason...he played terrible.

3. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

I don't think people are going to care, because I dont think most people think hes that great. I think Mahomes would have taken A LOT of heat if they had lost, but I don't think Jimmy will take much at all.

4. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if he gets the lion's share of the blame for tonight. The defense choked it away, full stop. Yeah Shanahan's playcalling under pressure was tight, conservative dogshit (sounds familiar), and Jimmy G didn't exactly put the team on his back, but starting from that overturned catch that left KC with 3rd and 15, the Niners' D disappeared without a trace. If this were the 80s their faces would be on milk cartons tomorrow.

EDIT:
    Honestly if the Chiefs had lost I think Andy Reid gets most of the heat, since he would've come up short in the big game, yet again.

MJK likes this.
  5. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed to an extent. Definitely not the main reason. But that team is going to fall apart around him and I can't see them even really wanting to give him a second contract. I know it sounds drastic but I really think he was hidden that well this year.

He threw 11 of his 27 touchdowns against the Bengals (#29 defense) and the Cardinals (#32 defense) in three games. They played several games (Browns, Panthers, Packers -reg season) that were instant blowouts because of the running game and defense.

They will extend Kittle this offseason to a record TE extension. Arik Armstead will walk. We watched Sherman's decline before our eyes tonight. Buckner is due a contract extension. Joe Staley (only played a handful of games at LT) is on the decline and always hurt.

NYJFOREVER and MJK like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Sherman has been hidden behind that zone defense all year. The Chiefs run a lot of RPO which forces the defense into man defense, it was a terrible matchup for KC.

The dude has never compared to guys like Deion or Revis.

8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Remarkable comeback by the Chiefs.

They did it all throughout the playoffs so it shouldn't surprise but it did surprise me.

Even when they were down 20-10 I knew they had the ability to come back but it didn't look like it was gonna happen then for them to go off like that on the 49ers defense wow just wow.

I hope one day the Jets can build a team that can win a Super Bowl. I hope Darnold is that guy. I hope the Jets realize Robby Anderson is our Tyreek Hill.

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or was Troy Aikman hating on Mahomes all night long?

10. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the great state of Kansas. Mahomes bringing back the super bowl

11. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

You know the Chiefs loved seeing jimmy throw the ball on first down incomplete to stop the clock with about ten minutes left. Then a run, then another throw. All mahomes needed was one play to catch fire and Shanahan allowed it to happen.

roboz08 likes this.
  12. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

13. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well Congrats to KC for ending a 50 year hiatus. Andy R got a SB ..great, well deserved

So going forward, the Jets road to a SB will be KC now not NE!

If the 49ers had figured Mahomes out and the rest of the KC Offense out we would have had a head start

Now the Chiefs might have a new Dynasty going with Reid/Mahomes/Spagnola (I thought the Chiefs Defense rose to the occasion)

SOXXX2 likes this.
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Didn't post here at all during the game, but just a few things I wanted to bring up:
    1) What the hell were both teams doing before half? SF should have burned a TO with 1:30 left in the 2Q before KC punted? Then on the other side, KC should have burned a timeout after the run on first down, but then proceeds to call a TO after the 2nd down play with 19 seconds left after SF let 40 run off? Just a very bizarre sequence from BOTH teams before half.

2) 6 minutes left, up 20-17 and you gain 5 yards on a first down run. Then put the ball in Jimmy G's hands when the entire season + playoffs have been about running the football. Terrible coaching. That was the biggest drive of their season and they didn't lean on what got them to that point. This strategy/philosophy/gameplan (whatever you want to call it) was the exact opposite of what they did before the 2H? They didn't want Jimmy G to try and get them a FG before half but now to help milk the clock they put the ball in his hands? Very confusing.

3) Shanahan has now produced 0 4Q points in both Super Bowl appearances and has been outscored 46-0.

BrowningNagle and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Finally got something right....

FJF likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

18. Jonathan_Vilma

So I don't know if I've never noticed it because none of the music/fan chants had been distinguishable enough. But do the teams get a choice of music when they're on defense in the Super Bowl?

It was obviously a much easier road to travel to Miami for Chiefs fans than 49ers fans, so there were more in the building. But they were definitely playing music along with their tomahawk chants.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

20. Jonathan_Vilma

He has the first down too if it doesn't get batted down. Idk. My bigger issue is that all three rushers averaged 4.8 yards per carry. Running the ball might've given them a better shot at getting a first down.

Even if they run the ball there, if they don't get a first down on those three players, but run the ball, Kansas City takes one knee rather than three and wins. (And Mahomes rushing o/u hits).

I can't kill Shanahan on that. He played for the first down. The only issue is that running the ball may have been the better option for the first down.