Another Mahomes take

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 20, 2020.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think it's clear that 'the public' doesn't know jack shit. And someone who runs a mock draft website is a professional in the field of web design, not football.
    --

Mahomes had the league's 2 most respected QB gurus believing he was a top 10 pick. Sean Payton and Andy Reid

2. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

you are just inventing a narrative that isn't reality to kill the Jets....there's like 47 million other moves to destroy the Jets for that are legitimate .

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mayock had him going 32nd in a trade up with the Cardinals. He's now a GM in this league.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mike-mayock-mock-draft-two-qbmotivated-trades

Peter Schrager has him going 25th.
    https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/peter-schragers-seven-round-2017-nfl-mock-draft-042517

This is a simulated mock with Sports Illustrated Football insiders. Chiefs waited at 27 to take him.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2017/04/12/nfl-mock-draft-round-1-picks-projections

ESPN NFL Nation - 27th to the Chiefs
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/...es-mitchell-trubisky-north-carolina-tar-heels

These aren't some blog mock sites. These are people more connected within the league than anyone we know. It's known that two teams were hot for him. But he wasn't considered a slam dunk prospect. By the time the draft rolled around was that any thought that Andrew Luck or RG3 would slip? What about Goff and Wentz? Was Darnold somehow going to escape the top ten, or Rosen for that matter?

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

sounds about right and horribly sad. truth be told i was completely wrong about mahomes... i couldnt stand him coming out of college, much like mark sanchez. only this time i was absolutely incorrect. sadly i dont think he would be nearly as good as he is if he had been drafted by our beloved jets.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We already know that all of those people and sites were wrong. Some of us weren't.

Ralebird likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Many on this site knew Mahomes would have one of the single greatest seasons by a QB ever and would establish himself as the best QB in the league within his 2nd year as a starter?

Okay.

Again, nobody knew Mahomes would be THIS good.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

"Knew" is a poor word choice imo. There are a number of us who strongly believed that Mahomes would be every bit this good.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Us?" . "Strongly believed?"..."every bit this good?"

If I thought a QB would be "every bit this good" and was a fan of a team desperate for a FQB, I would sure as hell pull the trigger at #6.

@ColoradoContrails from day one sang the praises of Mahomes and has every right to the claim that he "strongly believed Mahomes would be every bit as good" back then. You on the other hand even after admitting the Jets were desperate for a FQB did not want them to draft ANY of the 2017 QBs (Mahomes or Watson) with their first round pick so your self-serving post above is a croc of shit.

Me, I admittedly was wary of Mahomes' air-raid background and the inflated #'s Tx. Tech QB's put up in addition to his sub-par performance vs. Iowa State (I actually watch prospects' games). But at the same time I wouldn't be so insecure to the point of trying to claim "me too!" like you did above. @ColoradoContrails nailed it. You on the other hand disingenuously tried jumping on his bandwagon. Only a 24-caret phony pulls the fake "I was the one of 'us' who called it!" card (vvv):

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/the-argument-for-taking-a-qb-at-6.88268/page-5#post-3560215

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

A number of this board thought Mahomes would be a legitimate FQB, sure.

Nobody knew Mahomes would be the best QB in the league within a year of being a starter.

I recall that a few people were clamoring for him, but I do not remember people saying he was going to be the best QB in the league within a year.

Jonathan_Vilma and joe like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Okay, look, it's hard to predict who will become successful, even the ones that are considered "can't miss" often do. A big wildcard is who the wind up with, an the coaching they get, and the scheme the're forced to play in. And I won't say - and haven't said - that playing for the Jets would have been easy, or would've allowed the type of success Mahomes has had with KC, BUT...if you watched his tape in college, and considered the fact that his dad was a professional baseball player, it's astonishing to me that anyone would not consider him the #1 QB. Yeah, I get it it - "Air Raid QB" "System QB", but his demonstrated generational arm talent, and feel for the game had to override those criticisms. Any so-called expert who didn't come to that conclusion has only their own bias and closed mind to blame.

As for Maccagnan and the Jets, it doesn't matter how many other people missed on Mahomes because they're ALL guilty of failure. If you want to minimize Macc's guilt by pointing to other's guilt that's up to you, but it doesn't absolve him. This isn't "revisionist history", it's basic history. What IS revisionist is those who want to discount his talent as though it was hidden and unknowable.His ability and accomplishments were there for all to see, and as Legler82 noted, two of the most respected QB evaluators in football saw it. The fact that Macc didn't set this franchise back significantly, both by failing to add a generational QB when they needed a QB, and by losing the three prime draft picks they could've used to fill other major holes. If Macc (and the Johnsons) actually based their decision to pass on Mahomes because Todd Bowles wasn't seen as the right HC to handle him, then it's an even bigger failure that they didn't fire Bowles sooner.

It's sickening to me to have to watch Mahomes and KC succeed, while the Jets continue their SOJ ineptitude.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Again, "knew" is a very poor word choice. No one ever "knows" the future in advance, so for you to keep saying that is just silly. None of us said that we "knew" he was going to be the best QB in the league within a year. That is your wording and strawman argument. That's the bottom line. We believed that he had the talent and potential to be a great QB and one of the best in the NFL, not just a "legitimate FQB." None of us were putting a time limit on it, but I would guess that those of us who believed in him thought he would be one of the best QBs in the league within 2-3 years. That he exceeded our expectations and became the best during one year doesn't make us wrong, only more right.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

You're right...no one could've known, nor predicted, that Mahomes would be the NFL MVP in his first full season and take his team to the SB in his second one, but it was easily predictable that within 3 years he would be one of the top QBs if he stayed healthy. But anyone who saw his talent and ability in college wouldn't not have been surprised at his actual success.

It's the excusing of incompetence by so many Jets fans that allows it to continue. We're so starved for success, we give more credit to the FO, coaches, and players than most of them deserve, and then when we miss out on players/coaches that really are good, we downplay their success and make excuses for why they wouldn't succeed on the Jets. Until Jets fans start holding the Johnsons and the rest accountable, we're going to keep getting "hamburger" and telling ourselves it's steak.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Sorry if you felt "aw shucks" embarrassed and/or compelled into commenting after being singled out (and praised) for your "all-in" call on Mahomes back in the day.

That said, the incongruity of the two comments above (in bold) suggest exactly what? First you acknowledge that "can't miss" prospects are hard to peg and in the next breath deride "so-called experts" of "bias" and "closed minds."

If you're taking a pot shot at me that's perfectly fine however do note that my term "wary" should in no way be confused with flat-out rejection which then could be attributed to personal "bias" and a "closed mind." In any event my previous post was in response to someone dishonestly attempting to school another poster with a smug, self-serving falsehood. Or to put it more delicately, a croc of shit. . : )

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Funny thing is if Andy Reid was picking #3 and had both Sam Darnold and Patrick Mahomes on the clock, Andy probably would have taken Sam Darnold 10 out of 10 times.

15. NCJetsfan

I disagree.

16. ColoradoContrails

You're too sensitive Joe. My post had nothing to do with your comment. I was simply responding to the incessant claim of many here who keep saying "Nobody knew!", and acknowledging that no one could know for sure. At the same time I'm not going to apologize for being right, nor back off my opinion that Macc (and all the other GMs who needed a QB and passed on Mahomes) were wrong to do so, regardless of the "justifications" supplied here. If you see that as "incongruous, okay, whatever.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Hardly.

Apologize for being right? Who's being sensitive? You were singled out for being correct about Mahomes.

For the third time, my post was about a disingenuous croc of self-serving bullshit posted by another poster.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That still doesn’t explain the math.

19. legler82

In the draft you evaluate the talent in front of you NOT predict future accomplishments. Based on the criteria of talent and the fact that Mahomes plays the QB position. He should have been the #1 overall pick. This whole “who knew he would...blah blah blah” is a straw man argument.

20. legler82

I doubt that very much but if he did, he’d be wrong.