What pick burns you the most?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 17, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

I don't think anyone is saying that. We are more talking a misallocation of resources on the part of the Jets. Blair Thomas was not as good as Emmitt Smith who went 21st in the same draft. Pointing this out is not a knock on an insult to Thomas anymore than saying I was not good enough to play in the NFL is an insult to me. This is just a fact. The Jets do not play in a vacuum. Are there season ticket holders on this board? Jet season ticket holders give the franchise a great deal of money- it is not the 1990s. A guy with good seats who attends every game spends about as much as it will cost to buy a decent used car every year. When a person spends that much money they can give an opinion as to if they are getting their money's worth.

Also- the NFL is a different level of football. It is possible to be a good football player but a bad NFL player. If a guy does not have the ability to memorize the play book and can't pick up the mental aspect and this costs his team, then he does suck at the NFL level.

You also have these "expand" the game programs where rugby players and soccer players are brought in to play special teams. These programs do not take up a traditional roster spot and are different than a regular roster spot in many ways, I bring this up to point out that in the year 2020 it is actually possible for a guy to suit up for an NFL team and suck at football.

2. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Not the worst but I was screaming to draft Josh Allen this year... Also missing out on Bosa to win meaningless games. If the Jets would learn their lesson and just bottomed out some of these lost years we'd have had a shot at some generational talent.... Obviously we'd pass on them for interior d linemen but just to have the chance:rolleyes:

alleycat9 and Linebacker712 like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Vernon Gholston sucks at football.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  4. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I was impressed with him in college and was initially happy that we got him. I feel bad for him though, as he apparently was going through a bout of severe depression during his rookie year. As someone who suffers from chronic depression, I can relate, and I can understand how it killed his performance.

What pissed me off is the fact that the team seemingly made a vow that, because Gholston was a bust, they would never draft an edge rusher in the 1st round ever again.

alleycat9 likes this.
  5. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Quinnen Williams. Perhaps my most hated player in the NFL. Doesn’t give a flying fuck about his morbidly obese physique, has less muscle than lizzo and winds up on his ass 5/10 plays.

The part that burns me the most is apparently Joe Douglas had a chance to trade him this year for a good return and passed it up. Can’t wait for more 3.5 sack max seasons and the fans here telling me I’m an idiot to think we should trade him.

I was right about Leo, and I’m right about Quinnen.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's still - and now even more so - failing to take Mahomes when they needed a QB. What people saw last night was all there 3 years ago at Texas Tech for anyone with eyes and no bias towards "Air Raid QBs. That miss set the Jets back years.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

That's classic Jets stupidity. At least Adams is an elite player, so not like they drafted someone who's going to amount to a bust instead. Hopefully Darnold can win something here, otherwise Mahomes will be the next Marino in Jets lore.

In terms of the general aspect of this thread. Every first round pick since Revis except Adams and Darnold were junk. I'll give Wilkerson a pass since he looked like he had elite potential til he got paid. No offense except two QBs in this modern league is untenable.

#147 LeonNYJ, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"Stupidity"? Really? What's "stupid" is justifying a massive mistake because we got something worthwhile out of it. That's truly SOJ thinking, the type of thinking that enables fans to put up with the mediocrity year after year, decade after decade. Yeah, Adams is a very talented player, but he's no QB, let alone a SB-winning QB. And please, don't hit me with "Mahomes would've never done what he's done with the Chiefs". No shit! But I'm willing to bet he would've done better than anyone else could have. Did you watch the SB? What he brings to the field is something that only the elite QBs do and it can't be taught. And all of that was seeable when he played in college but no one wanted to see it. Maybe Macc wasn't the only stupid GM, but that doesn't erase his stupidity.

Let me ask you this: would you trade Adams for Mahomes?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

Relax- I was angry as well until I realized that trade never existed. The Jets were offered a fourth and 6th round pick. That was referred to as a king's ransom in a sarcastic manner. In reading on Ed Oliver I learned half the NFL is high on Williams, while the other half is not. The offer was made and a guy down on Williams called it a king's ransom. The Jets are stuck with him.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do we have sources for what the actual offer is? I've never seen anything other than this phantom multiple pick offer with nothing else attached to it but that phrase.

11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Say it ain't so!!

I'm not giving up on him but I will say we give guys a pass for too long. No more "his impact on the game doesn't show up on the stat sheet" type players. Jets fans argue about these draft picks for years then when they go to other teams they can't even make it on the field. We need real impact players that show up when it matters. And it's not the whole story but it ain't wrong to want some eye popping stats from some of these guys either.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Ted Washington and Gilbert Brown reject your fat shaming.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Geno Smith still burns me the most from a "I knew this pick was an instant fail" when it happened perspective. I knew he had 0 chance to succeed in the NFL and he would waste a few Jets seasons and he did exactly that. I watched a lot of WVU games and knew his play did not translate to the NFL level.

Hackenberg was the opposite. I thought he had a legitimate chance to succeed in the NFL and I was very very very wrong. :oops:

14. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Hard to be mad at not selecting Mahomes.

Yes, the kid had arm talent coming out, but lets be honest he played in an Air Raid offense in college + it took some vision (or luck) to see what he could do as an NFL Qb.

If he came to the Jets and ran the same “Gase” offense as Darnold, who’s to say he would be better? What do you base that theory on?

You are talking about running an NFL style offense (something Mahomes has never done) vs college air raid style offense (something Mahomes was doing since HS).

They are two different things + require different skillsets. As it stands, the Qb’s taking the majority of their NFL snaps from shotgun are all Air Raid style offenses.

This is not to take away from those guys.
    Guys like Jackson and Mahomes are playing well with coaches who have implemented offenses that play to their strengths.

That is something I seriously doubt we’d see if either played for the Jets.

Heck, I’m not convinced we even implemented a offense that plays to Sam’s strengths...

15. 6-10 once again

Jesus , I looked up the stats of these two men. Washington had a long 16 year career with an average of about 2.5 sacks a season.

Gilbert brown played 10 seasons and totaled 7 career sacks.

Just fade me , Trade Quinnen , do it now before his value sinks to Leo levels.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

It must be some kind of miracle that these guys played in 30 playoff games, despite being slow, fat, useless, waste of (considerable) space bastards...

NCJetsfan, FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. 6-10 once again

They aren’t wastes they just aren’t worth anywhere near premium picks... so my point is to trade Quinnen while other less intelligent GM’s still think he is worth a 1st or 2nd. You can find useful fatties in the later rounds or scrap heap of free agency. It’s literally the easiest position to fill.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

Fair enough.

Still, it's worth recognizing that these two fat guys have 5 more playoff games between them than the Jets have in their entire history. Just because other teams can find useful fatties elsewhere, doesn't mean the Jets can.

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

No vitriol for Roger Vick. Color me amazed.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It was a different game back then.