Per PFT - jets told robby they want him back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 30, 2020.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don’t think anyone disagrees, but right now it remains to be seen if anyone in the trenches worth paying shakes loose. You have to take it as it comes and right now the focus is on bringing back who we want.

Vida, Cman68, jilozzo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I'd just as soon part ways with Robby. I think we could use that money more wisely elsewhere.

papapump likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

yeah lets extend Braxton Berrios, he can do what Robby can do. Or better yet Nelson Agholor

Aero, FJF and Red Menace like this.
  4. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i don't have the same love affair with Robbie as some others Sorry to be a debbie downer on it.

One, i think because it was a contract year we saw Robbie relatively well behaved. First talks of FA and he's pulling the WR prima donna act, rather than the I love the Jets; they gave me my first chance and have stood by me in really tough times (like when i told that cop i was going to do that thing to his wife)

Second, even then there were times he'd give up on routes and i don't think he compliments a running game (can he block anyone?)

third, is anyone here going to be surprised if he gets in trouble again, or if he has a down year or injury. I won't be. I don't think of him as reliable or consistent

So while i like the idea of resigning him because he's one of ours and he does some things well, i think we need to be very disciplined in the approach. We have too many needs. He is not that kind of receiver who can take over a game. Yes we're all happy when he catches a TD but IMO he's far removed from a #1

I would also keep in mind that apparently he didn't generate a strong interest in the trade market. I don't think other teams are looking at him as a "must have". He's a "nice to have" (but comes with some issues)

Lastly, i admit to being biased towards Sam. I think in time he will make a lot of receivers look good. I am biased towards people who have better hands (because Sam will get them the ball) and size (red zone)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Don’t make me post the agholor video again.

6. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

This!

Letting him walks we just need to spend cap space or picks replacing him. Instead resign him and build around them as you stated.

I love the idea of going Jeudy with the first and then OL with 2 of the next picks. Trading away these players means we need to find replacements AND then add more. Let's just add more.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I will lose even more faith in this team if we dump a ton of our much needed cap towards a player that is slightly above average, at best, and who has never hit 1000yds in a season. It's ridiculous that he Is about to make as much money as he is, I hope the Jets are smart enough to let him walk.

I'm okay with acting like they want to keep him around, good for them, good image, but he's not worth keeping If he thinks he deserves #1 receiver type money. No thanks.

8. 101GangGreen101

Maybe you should.

Yeah I mean playing with McCown and Falk will totally get you 1K with ease. Darnold, issues with the deep ball, tons of inconsistency. He's been open a lot, and we didn't get him the ball. I don't think paying him Tyrell Williams similar money is playing him #1WR money.

Robby needs to come back. It's amazing people make these comments, it's almost as if they never saw our young QBs throw to players like Clyde Gates. But hey, maybe we need to go back to having shitty receivers that shouldn't even be 4th on a depth chart.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If we've been paying Robby Anderson like a #1 there is no way in hell we're going to get the actual #1 to take that kind of money. Our actual #1 is going to want the best WR contract in the NFL after watching a #2 get paid like a #1 for his entire rookie deal.

That's just the way expectations work and the Jets have *never* gotten this right.

10. 101GangGreen101

Good thing the rookie we would draft (I.E. Jordan Jefferson, Tyler Johnson) would be in a rookie deal, and who knows what the cap would be in 4 to 5 years :) ... Robbys contract won't play a role, more then likely we'll be talking about getting him either a new deal or he'll be gone.

I don't believe in having a true #1, I believe in having multiple receivers that can win 1 on 1 in a number of ways.

Vida, Footballgod214, FJF and 2 others like this.
  11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Money talks.

Or in this case the franchise tag talks if Robby is as hell bent on hitting the open market as it appears.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Its just crazy to me, lets pay Robby Anderson top dollar but we STILL need to draft a #1 wideout. Bro, if you still need that #1 then you probably shouldn't pay Anderson like he's one

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Letting Robby walk this offseason would be one of the most same old Jets things that could happen.

Shades of losing Laveranues Coles back in 2003.

Kansas City is playing in a Super Bowl so it could be a good omen for the Jets.

Darnold reaching legit stardom is the Jets wormhole to a Super Bowl. If he makes a big jump in 2020 no reason why the Jets couldn't be playing in a Super Bowl next season.

Losing Robby Anderson now DOES NOT help that happening.

14. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Here’s another way to look at it. If we over pay Robbie by a little bit this year , in 2 years he’ll probably be underpaid the way contracts are going

Vida, Footballgod214 and FJF like this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

You're projecting. The fact is... He literally hasn't had a single 1K season.

He has been open a lot.. I keep hearing this, It's great. However, the times I've actually seen the ball thrown at him, I often see a lack of effort, and a clear lack of talent at the position In so many instances. Has he got better? Sure. Is he a #1 Receiver? Absolutely not. His catch percentage isn't even good, which means, he isn't all that reliable. His routes are sloppy.

Let's be honest.. He runs fast, He's a decent deep threat. That shouldn't mean we give him all this money now, It just doesn't make sense to me.

Tyrell Williams? Really, so your gold standard in the NFL is the Raiders? Have you not paid attention to the malfunction over there? I find It hard to believe that you can point to that player, that team, and that contract and act like It was worth It.

We got far more out of our acquisition In, Crowder. He was our best WR last season.

..but, we should pay Robby Anderson #1 receiver money? That's what It will take. If you think he isn't looking for that kind of money, I think you are fooling yourself.

It amazes me that people like you seem to think Anderson is something special, like he has carried this offense on his back or something. As If he couldn't possibly be replaced, as If It's entirely impossible to replace such an amazing talent. Sigh..

I keep hearing this continuity argument too. "Darnold needs continuity!!! Blah, Blah..."

Why? You are telling me that If we brought In a significant upgrade at the WR position, Darnold, will struggle because he has never played with the receiver before? That's non-sense.

He is replaceable, up-gradable, and It can be done, EASILY, this upcoming off season. This draft alone is stacked at WR.

I don't get your argument that we would all of a sudden revert back to having shitty receivers like Clyde Gates? Why does that automatically have to be the Jets destiny If we were to let Robby walk? That makes zero sense.

16. IIMeanDeanII

Good post.

How this isn't the majority outlook, baffles me, but, here we are... Blows my mind.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Jets are stuck between a rock and a hard place here. They shouldn't pay Robby like a #1 WR, but letting him walk would mean we'd need 2 WR's from FA and the draft who have to develop chemistry with Sam in a crucial year for his development.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

Yet here you are using 1K without any contextual value. How many times has our QBs missed Robby on deep balls? Just go back throughout the season and watch. No one is calling him a #1 receiver and certaintly no one is paying him like a Hopkins or a Julio Jones, true #1 receivers.

Williams is around the market price for Robby per reports, I don't mind giving him a little more considering he's never played with a HOF QB, and hasn't had any consistent play from a QB since he's been here. To me, sounds like a fair market price for Robby. Does Crowder play better without Robby in the lineup who is one of the better deep threats in the NFL? This allows the underneath to be exposed as the safeties may want to play the deep ball. He's not just decent, hes a very good deep threat and he's growing into a more complete receiver.

No one is calling Anderson elite here, no one is even using special, but you are crazy to think that Robby doesnt have more value here in comparison to other NFL teams. In terms of FA upgrades, if Cooper goes back to the Cowboys there ISN'T a replacement and you cannot just easily replace chemistry.

Look at what the Jets will have if Robby leaves, look at the eventual holes you create, your flexibility in the draft dwindles.

Think about it.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He's going to get $12-13 million a year; he can get it here or elsewhere. If he's gone, he'll need to be replaced and the price for that will be high too and the guy you get may or may not outperform him. One thing for sure, the guy you get will be at square one as far as developing a working relationship with Darnold.

That whole scenario has a pretty high "cost" to it.

Vida and MoWilkBeast like this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Great post, Anderson has played with Josh Mcown, Fitzpatrick, Havkenburg, Falk, perennial losers at QB and has managed to make himself a good #2 receiver.

Talent is talent, no one on this forum should be in favor of losing a good football player over a couple of million dollars.

Jeudy or Lamb, Anderson, Herndon and Crowder would be a nightmare for defensive coordinators to scheme for, add to that a beefed up oline if JD addresses it through FA or the draft, now the running game is more productive.

Giving Darnold a good oline and weapons is the only way to get the jets into the playoffs, it can’t be done with defense alone.

Don’t get me wrong, if Anderson wants 17-20 million I’m definitely looking to upgrade a second WR position but 13-14 million a year, I’m sure JD can put together a contract that makes both sides happy.