Early Offseason Thread. Get er done JD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 28, 2020.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

He needs a lot of developing.....but I agree it would be nice if he at least became decent depth since the Jets lack starters and depth on the OL. It sounds like they're moving on from Shell and probably resigning Beachum which would be smart considering there is nobody else even on the roster penciled in at LT currently. Lewis is a JD signing ( trade ) - he'll be back. Compton may not be. A lot of work...….

FJF likes this.
  2. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

If I were to sign any FA's this off season , without breaking the bank to sign any more, the 2 would be Ngakoue and Schreff - it would quickly fill two very needed spots in a jiff.....

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

JD won’t do that. Ngakoue will be way too expensive for his tastes.

EDIT:

Did anybody else see that mock two round draft by ' Jet Press '? That has JD taking EDGE in both rounds 1 and 2 …...interesting theory. In that scenario JD probably signs a major FA at both WR and OT and the remainder of the draft may go to interior OL and more playmakers for Sam...

#43 mrjet80, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Red Menace likes this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Beachum is a must resign if they cannot bring in an upgrade through FA. Jets cannot go into the draft without a LT with any experience on the roster.

That would be just about the most irresponsible move a GM could make.

chandler, Jake, HomeoftheJets and 2 others like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Mac: Hold my coffee.

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

For line help, I think he would

If JD does the cuts the right way , they can have nearly $85M in cap space - just signing these 2 FA would still give them plenty of working room. I think Ngakoue is worth every penny, because he's still young and adds a much need pass rush.

IMO, you buy cheap, you get cheap so I don't think JD wants to add middle-of-the-road replacements when he already has them presently of the roster.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that asshole couldn't reuse a cup either. 100s of paper cups on his desk. He treated the environment worse than he treated his QBs.

mattyd99 likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's always good to get it done while the QB is on his rookie deal, like Seattle with Wilson. But here's the thing: Seattle was good, and had several GREAT drafts in a row. But the Jets are barely just OK with holes and thin spots all over the roster. It would be really hard/lucky if JoeD can build a contenter in one offseason, just based on where we are now. If he can, I WILL BE VERY HAPPY!!!!

9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Not me. Poole was one of the best slot corners in league this year and we don’t need more question marks at corner. I would resign him first. Then I would resign Beachum for 1-2 years as we can’t go into the offseason with no one at that spot. I don’t think anyone better than Beachum would shake loose in free agency nor is drafting a tackle in the first round guaranteed. Going into the offseason without those two are just two more holes we have to worry about. For Jenkins and Robby it depends on the price. We should look to keep them but if they want something that far exceeds their value then they can walk. Fixing the offensive line should be priority 1,2, and 3 this offseason .

tomdeb and FJF like this.
  10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I would be terrified of the continued neglect of the offensive line if Mac were still the GM. My guess is he would go after 1 over the hill free agent and draft a player in the 4th. We would probably go DT/ILB/CB in the first few rounds with a whiff at receiver in the 3rd while many other teams would find good players there. Just a hunch...

HomeoftheJets and tomdeb like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Poole had a good year and we should try to keep him. But I think he's going to price himself out of us doing so. The top slot paid slot corner gets $9 million/year. There's no reason why he wouldn't want at least that, if not more. It's so difficult to pull consistent cornerback play year to year.

I wouldn't pay him an exorbitant amount. I think Maulet will be much better in the slot than he was on the outside (even if not as good as Poole).

Xavier Rhodes and Byron Jones were both the next lockdown corners in this league and then mailed in absolutely garbage years this past year.

I would keep Jenkins but I also would not pay him as a top edge rusher. He's not one. $7-9 million per year. $10+ is too much. But we don't want to create another hole. He's a coverage sack machine lol.

We need to keep Anderson at all costs. It's part of building around Sam. He and Beachum are the top two guys we desperately need to retain. We can patch around losing Poole and Jenkins.

chandler likes this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Never seen a GM downplay the need for offensive linemen in my life. It still shocks me that MacCagnan ANNOUNCED at his introductory press conference in 2015 that he believed he could build a quality Offensive line with late round picks and free agents. It was and is a ridiculous philosophy, which stayed he true to during his five drafts, leading the jets to have a bottom-5 offensive line every year MacCagnan was with the jets. Also, it is so stupid to TELL the rest of the league at your introductory press conference that the jets won't use decent picks on the OL, unless it is a smokescreen (which it clearly was not). The other teams then drafting around the same time as the jets knew certain players/position (OL) that the jets would NOT be drafting, and could plan accordingly.

13. BrowningNagle

Poole had a good year but it was kind of an outlier for his career and it kind of faded down the stretch anyway. I mean maybe he can replicate it, or maybe the coordinator is just pretty good at scheming to make average/below average corners look good. (he is)

Beachum yeah, they probably need to resign him. But not because he's any good, because the situation would be dire without him. That makes it hard for me to care much about him

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree that we need to keep Anderson and beachum before Jenkins and poole. The jets have ignored the offensive side of the ball for too long. Not sure I agree with "at all costs" however. MacIdiot greatly overpaid Trumaine, C.J. and Bell. Don't break the bank for average players.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm normally in agreement. But we cannot go into 2020 with one NFL receiver on the roster. Vycint Smith, Crowder, rookie, rookie, bottom free agent signing & Bellamy is an absolute disaster.

Anderson is way overrated in general but he's more valuable to the Jets than anywhere else.

If Maccagnan wasn't a fucking moron we would've re-signed him at a more reasonable price two years ago rather than extending the fullback playing receiver we had in Enunwa.

tomdeb likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

there are lots of free agent wideouts other than Robby Anderson

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Like who? Randall Cobb is a slot receiver and AJ Green just missed an entire season due to injury. Cobb will be 30 and Green will be 32 at the start of the season.

I don't want dropsies receivers like Funchess and Algholor. Outside of that or outbidding the Cowboys for Cooper, you're looking at a bunch of unknowns. I'd rather keep Anderson who works well with our QB then go the Sanchez 2011 to 2012 route and change everything on him going into the following year.

Maybe give up a draft pick for Keelan Cole or Tim Patrick depending on their tender (RFA)?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The FA receivers are trash cept for Robby and Cooper. AJ Green I would be interested in depending on price. 2020, deepest WR class in sometime.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

It is, but you have to think 3-4 of those guys will get extensions before all is said and done. Namely Cooper Kupp, Golladay and Godwin (the best youth/talent guys).

20. BrowningNagle

outside of Cooper, they will all be cheaper than Robby Anderson. And I don't think they make much of a difference in terms of win/losses. Cobb or Green both would be better additions. They would provide veteran leadership this team needs. I would prefer Green because he fits in better as the outside wideout but I would be happy with Cobb too.