Early Offseason Thread. Get er done JD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 28, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that's a very good point too. my only thought process was spend now while darnold is on his rookie deal before we have to pay him 40 mil a year which at the rate things are going, seems what it'll be by the time darnold gets a new deal so it's now to strike while we have that luxury

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

that's an option too. there is also edoga to play at LT so we have options. also like 4-5 1st round worthy OTs in the draft as well so if there was a draft to go into like this, this is the one

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We should mail in our 5-11 card if we plan on Edoga starting at left tackle this year.

This is a good point. We could front load for the present and try to create the future in the draft. One thing Maccagnan did do well for the most part was front load contracts so they're cuttable on the back end.

boozer32 and Red Menace like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd try to find an upgrade at kicker. Ficken was 19/27 on FG's last year.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

There's far too many OL hungry teams out there. The Jets will be lucky to get one let only two Free agents for the O-line.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think teams will be operating under the assumption of a pretty big cap jump with the new cba. Players won’t sign without a significant increase of the pie.

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That bottom picture and caption had me in stitches...….funny stuff. And hopefully our new LT.

NCJetsfan, boozer32 and BrowningNagle like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

give him a chance. who thought bless would be a legit starting CB this year? or that a few late picks / UDFA lineman would play so well for us.

9. FJF

Best case for edoga is he starts at right tackle in 2021 after wirfs/ becton slide over to left and a year in the right side. I think edoga can play but not in the left. Just looked too awkward there.

#29 FJF, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  10. mrjet80

May also be better suited for guard....

11. FJF

A few think so, I think he would really have add some muscle. I’d rather have a seasoned vet at rg for this coming season anyway .

12. mrjet80

Well it's too early to cut ties with him but from what I saw this past year it'll be a bonus if he sticks anywhere on the line as part of the rebuild. He was a Mac pick and an overreach so that's working against him. He needs a really good camp this summer......

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Pleasant surprise for sure, but we didn't go into 2019 with the expectation that he'd be the starter or even a contributor.

It's a lot easier to hide corners in cover 2 than a turnstyle at tackle. We already punted the season away in 2012 when we gave Wayne Hunter a full time job. The Broncos offense was a disaster this year because of their tackle play. The Chargers as well.

Edoga could be a right tackle or an interior lineman, but he started 8 games and probably gave up as many sacks as he had starts. I wouldn't even think about giving him a tackle spot.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. FJF

I don’t think he was a reach and I think he can play, he just raw and needs some developing. Noting wrong with a 3rd round pick sitting in the bench for a year. If nothing else he is decent depth with snaps at both tackle spots. He’ll be one of the 7 we knee on the 53

chandler likes this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

nice post. Only modifications I would have are Bellamy and Jenkins. Josh Bellamy was a stupid MacIdiot move--Whoever heard of guaranteeing $3M to a 30 year old special teamer that averages 4 special team tackles a year? Also, Jenkins IMO should not get a huge contract. As Bart Scott noted, almost all his sacks were on coverage sacks, and he will want a bundle to stick around. IMO he is more of a 4-3 LB anyway. Just because the jets don't HAVE a true edge rusher, that does not mean overpay for an average one (at best).

16. GasedAndConfused

we could also slide him at guard if we land conklin and draft a LT

17. GasedAndConfused

edoga is a similar prospect to brick/beechum I think he can make it at tackle and if not guard is an option too. either way we should factor in him starting on the o-line in 2020 somewhere

18. GasedAndConfused

yeah bellamy can be cut for sure. jenkins we need though and 10mil/year isn't huge

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, close call, but I don't see Jenkins worth that much ($10M). However the cupboard is so bare (current roster) that think I think a decent argument can be made for overpaying both Jenkins and Robby. But the jets are already overpaying Bell and C.J. because of stupid contracts, and a team that overpays so many eventually regrets it. My opinion only.

20. GasedAndConfused

10 mil a year wouldn't even make him paid as a op 25 edge rusher and would be around the same price as lavente david and jerry huges. I think that's more then fair personally.