Early Offseason Thread. Get er done JD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 28, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Looking at what we may be able to do for this offseason and yeah it's early and shit will change but here we go

cap space currently is at 67 million including roll over
    -10 mil (rookie allotment)
    = 57m

Cuts
    trumaine 3m
    avery 6.5m
    winters 7.5m
    roberts 6m

that gives us 80 mil to spend. not bad but we have a lot of holes and free agents

Main holes (FA cost)
    WR - the FA crop is poor. only cooper would be an improvement for us and i doubt he shakes loose and his price is too high. we'll use the resign here

LT none we'll address this in the draft 1st round

(12.5) OG - We should sign Schreff, he's by and far the best OG on the market. he's reasonable young at 28 and guards can play well into their early 30s.

(15) RT Jack conklin - it's a lot to pay out but he's by and far the best RT in free agency and young and we can't skimp on o-line so well worth it here

C - address in the draft

(18) Edge - this is why I want to save the 9 mil form cooper even if he's there. I'd expect to spent 18 mil. there are a ton of good edge rushers in this FA class. clowney, barrett, ngakoue and even some tier 2 guys like fowler, golden, lawson, JPP, mingo or even try a flyer on beasley cheap. personally i'd go for broke spending here

(12) CB - Originally I had this at 20 mil but with the way austin played down the stretch i'd like to give him a shot at starting for 2020 and only sign 1 CB plus draft one. peters would be great here. some other options are roby, talib, chris harris, darby, dennard, and apple. anything is better then tru/roberts we had to start 2019

so that's all the free agent spending for a total of 57.5 mil leaving us with 20 mil for resigns (resign cost)

(8) Robby - market value is around 12-14mil but we can backload it for now so he only cost 8 for 2020

(5 mil) - poole I think we can keep him cheap. he's a slot CB so won't command as high of a value. he's only making 3 mil year. I think we can get him for like a 3 for 15

(2) compton - cheap depth lineman

(2) Hewitt - will battle cashman for the starting job opposite mosely

(7) jenkins - I think we should resign him. he's a solid player decent pass rusher great against the run good teammate. He won't be super expensive either.i'm thinking 10 mil a year but backloaded a little

(2) lewis - cheap starter at OG for another year. probably replaced in 2021 but we cna't replace 5 lineman in 1 offseason. 3 is as much as we can in 1 year so we keep him

(1) edwards - good punter and won't be expensive. no reason to switch him out.

(1) Ficken - resign him, he's been decent and cheap

that gives us 28 mil spent making us technically 8 over but with a restructure or heavy back loading some of these deals e can make it happen

Now the draft mind you it's early but

1) OT - thomas would be awesome. it's likely he goes before our pick but we could get jackson, adams, wirfs, little. lots of good 1st round LT options. there will be a good one at 11 for sure

2) C - Tyler would be nice if he slips, if not we could land hansen in the 2nd

3) (NYG pick) from the leo trade - i'll have to do more scouting but we can take a WR here. gandy-golden would be nice i have to do more scouting but it's a deep WR draft and with an early 3rd rounder we can probably land a good one. hell metcalf fell to the 64th pick, this should be around 68-71

3) (our pick) I think we go CB here. again have to scout more but maybe someone like troy pride jr

rest of picks positions to address
    RB, QB (backup), o-line, safety

With these moves that makes our projected lineup

Offense
    QB darnold,
    RB bell, cannon, rookie
    TE Herndon, Wesco, griffin
    C Rookie 2nd rounder, harrison
    OG Lewis, Scherff, edoga (move to OG)
    OT rookie 1st rounder, Conklin
    WR Robby, enunwa (if healthy), crowder, rookie 3rd rounder, bellamy, smith, berrios (one of the last 3 can be cut for small cap room, likely bellamy)

Defense
    D-line - foley, shepard, Q, mclendon, phillips, anderson
    ILB Mosely, hewitt/cashman
    OLB jenkins/barrett
    CB Peters or other FA, Poole, Austin, 3rd rounder, hairston
    S Adams, Maye

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

3. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

Good for you for putting this much thought into this. I have come around on Anderson- I don't want to pay for Cooper and I doubt we find anyone better in FA. At this point I would use the franchise tag on him- who else should they use it on?

Enunwa is not going to be healthy and the Jets will likely move on before they know for sure. My problem with your approach assumes the big name FA's want to come to the Jets. At this point they will have to drastically over pay to get one of the top FA linemen to come here. The situation is such a FA will demand a premium similar to Joe Douglas demanding a 6 year deal. I do they they will get one.

This leaves a lot to spend on and edge rusher- I would say have Williams pick the guy he wants and let the Jets over pay- they will have the money.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

I remember after our 2010 run, Mark Sanchez lost some of his offensive weapons heading into 2011.

I hate the thought of Sam Darnold losing weapons in Le'Veon Bell and Robby Anderson.

I want to not only bring them both back during year #2 under Gase, but I want to also add a Jeudy/Lamb to our offense in order to feature an offense with fire power @ every skilled position (as Mahomes has in K.C). From there you focus on O-Line in free agency and throughout the rest of the draft.

You lose Bell and Robby, you've got to replace them to get back to square one.

QB: Sam Darnold.
    RB: Le'Veon Bell.
    WR# 1: Jeudy/Lamb.
    Slot: Jamison Crowder.
    TE: Chris Herndon.
    WR# 2: Robby Anderson.

Behind an improved O-Line.

That's an explosive freaking offense. The thought of losing Bell or Robby sickens me.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Maybe I’m getting old and disgruntled, but I literally don’t give a shit about any of the pending free agents. They can let them all go if they want. They all suck

anyone else feeling that way?

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's how I feel, but it's probably not the smart thing to do.

BomberJet and tomdeb like this.
  7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The plan should be pretty obvious: do the opposite of what Maccagnan did.

Address positions on the OL, Edge and Corner in FA AND the draft. Don't take a fucking 3-4 DE in the first round. Instead of drinking 15 coffees per day in your office seek out the opinions of the staff around you. Stop drafting 25 year old players who you could probably just sign as UDFAs.

LAJet likes this.
  8. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

As long as we draft a Wr, Edge Rusher, and Olineman with first 4 picks I'm happy.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You put some great effort into this. I like the OL choices just don't think they should spend so much. Read an article about the bot teams in the SB and how they spent minimal on OL and built up other areas. It will also depend on what they do in the draft. With Douglas being a former OL I'm pretty sure he's made fixing that a priority. I hope the Jets get a a WR within the first 2 round. Enunwa cannot be counted on right now. We will need to sign a DE and dump Sheperd. You can pick someone off the street better than him.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

First. I definitely appreciate all the time and effort. I've done these too and it's cumbersome especially when it comes to trying to make the money look like it works. So kudos.

I think you're way low on Poole, Robby Anderson, and Lewis. I think Jenkins is more like $9 million per.

Why would Robby Anderson wait another year to really cash in? He's looking for that big pay day and signing bonus which hits the cap up front assuming it's not prorated.

I also don't think we can realistically sign four of the top 15-20 free agents. Teams will get to these guys too quickly. I don't think we'd want to either to be honest.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the effort you put into this! Good job Confused member!

You entire post comes from a point of view of 'here's how we build a powerhouse going into the 2020 season'. I think this is the wrong approach. This is the approach Macc tried.

I prefer a slow and steady rebuild of the entire team, setting us up for years to come. We should offer a FA contact ONLY to players who are young, and basically unknown. Or offer a trade (with little offered in return) for a young 2nd teamer who played well but is buried behind proven starters and will rarely see the field on his home team. Basically, treat FA like a supplemental draft.

Too many times we only talk about players we've all heard of, like Schreff, Cooper, etc. But the great FA deals often involve players we've never discussed before, like that slot receiver Macc got us from Washington. I like THOSE kinds of gets.

And when we talk about this upcoming draft for 'team building', we should have the 2021 draft right there along side it. For example, this draft is supposed 2b loaded at WR, but pretty thin at lineman. So even though linemen is the biggest concern, we shouldn't pass on talented WRs this year just to reach for a lineman, when 2021 may be loaded with lineman.

So, 1) cut dead weight as you prescribed. 2) use FA to stock team with talented young men we never heard of. 3) use the draft to get the talent that's right there and don't reach for need. Use at least 2 drafts, maybe even 3, to round out the team. 4) celebrate multiple rings for years to come!

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Going into the draft without a reasonable option at left tackle is just irresponsible and I doubt that happens . Beachum will be resigned to a 1 maybe 2 year for cap purposes deal.

mrjet80, chandler and MoWilkBeast like this.
  13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

And this will also allow the rookie, assuming there is one, to slot in at RT for a year at least, which in the case of 3 of the top 4 guys would look like an advisable move.

FJF likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I want Mekhi Becton. He is a massive ham sandwich.

We haven't had a giant like that in a long time. Plus he moves pretty well for his size. I don't care about any of the other prospects, I don't care about the combine and all that stupid stuff. my heart is set on this big 6'7 369lb boy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^^ Me and Mekhi someday (hopefully). No homo.

15. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

agree with this. FA is biased against stinky, rebuilding teams. We're in a salary cap league which in short means you need value. FA rarely provides bargains and especially not at the top, and especially not if your team stinks. Players will take the same or less money to play on a winning team (or their current team assuming they have friends there etc).

It can be used for stop gaps and ad hoc situations but IMO it's otherwise a mirage. Focus on draft and development. Of course there could be exceptions, i.e., that transformative presence, but I'm not really seeing one of those. We tried that last year with Bell and Mosley and if nothing else that experience showed the risk of that approach

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, quite frankly I feel more that way about the ownership and much of all the past leadership than I feel about the players. Having said that, IMO, reward those few who gave it all with a fair contract, but don’t over pay for any of them a la Mac.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Kudos for all the effort on this thread. JD has his work cut out for him. The state of the franchise, inheriting bloated contracts and years of draft blunders completely ignoring the OL with an infusion of talent will be hard to overcome. This year is just step one. JD needs to be carefully not to over reach or over draft a position of need, but with so many glaring holes, we should come away with At least a couple of cornerstone players in key areas, such as OL, WR, Edge and or CB. The order will be hopefully dictated by best value on each round, and supplemented by some selected pieces in free agency. Unfortunately we have two massive contractural commitments with CJ and Bell which JD would have never agreed to. Thank you Mac.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If he is there it’s a no brainer on my mind. Although I worry about durability with someone that big

#18 LAJet, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

everyone "overpays" in free agency in the eyes of fans. also the NFL is a business the large majority of players don't care about the team they are going to, they just want good pay and a place they can like. we won't have issues attracting free agents. every year fans complain how we suck and nobody wants to sign with us, yet every year we land big free agents. it's all in fans heads

20. GasedAndConfused

yeah i'm a little optimistic for sure and I doubt we could pull all of this off, but if we could pull off most i'd be pretty happy