What pick burns you the most?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 17, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember Rich Kottite the TE and he sucked at that too. My brother called him Kotex. He was a Giants fan. Kottite was hired after getting fired by the Eagles for losing like 7 games straight. Not a great thing to have on a resume. But old Hess wanted to win now with Rich. It was never gonna happen...never.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Dees and don'ts.......LOL

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Every team has bad draft picks, not just the Jets. Sure it’s easy to look back years later and make picks, not as easy in present times.

These somewhat recent picks pissed me off the most at the time.

Coples- we had just selected Mo Wilk and Sheldon in previous drafts. How many DTs do you need? Plus many questions pre draft about his work ethic and passion for game which proved to kill him in NFL.

Milner- selecting a CB in 1st rd after just trading arguably the best CB in NFL history had failure written all over it. The fact that he was a walking injury didn’t help matters.

Q. Williams- 5 DTs in 10 years gotta be in a book of how not to build a SB contending franchise.

Two picks all time that piss me off more than any.

Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp
    Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I just don't understand how you can claim to be a football scout, a general manager even, and watch film from freakin Ed Reed at Miami and determine you'd rather have Bryan Thomas, UAB.

That's why that one burns me the most, Reed was insane. Anyone could tell he was gonna be good in the NFL

5. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

Quentin Coples over Chandler Jones. No doubt. Imagine our defense the last few years.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

good post. great screen name

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We also took Coples over Melvin Ingram.

8. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

He did lose 7 straight- but the NY media was clamoring for him before the Eagles even fired him. Hiring him was looked at as a good move at the time.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We haven't agree much lately (ever?), but I sure agree with your being angry at the Milliner pick! When they made this pick, I shouted at the TV. How stupid can you be to take a guy with his injury record as your first (or anything above 4th) pick? You have to be SOJ-stupid.

10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I don't remember any media in NY clamoring for Kotite - I remember the exact opposite when they announced they hired him......

Ralebird likes this.
  11. mrjet80

There's so many bungled draft picks to choose from …..I'll stay simple and say last year's first round pick. Nothing against Q but the pick should have been Josh Allen...….

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we gave up a 1st for doug jolley and a kicker. what an awful trade

13. mrjet80

Yeah the Jets had just lost the divisional playoff to the Steelers due to the two Doug Brien misses at the end......the 'justification' of the trade was the Jets were a kicker away from the AFC title game. So basically they figured they would get the best kicker coming out of college and all they have to do is trade down so they don't 'over reach' and get an upgrade at TE while doing so....LOL typical Jets thinking especially Bradway.

The irony is 15 years later Nugent is still kicking ( FA now ), overcame some early consistency issues and really did have a nice career while the Jets have gone through about 6 or 7 kickers since letting him go.

They always 'outsmart' themselves somehow on draft night...hopefully JD changes that.

#133 mrjet80, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    GasedAndConfused and CotcheryFan like this.
  14. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

You are correct on this.

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the fact we have taken dl 9 times since 2003 with our first 2 picks. and the des werent ever pass rushing des they were 3 man front hold the fort guys. its as if we are still chasing after missing warren sapp in 1995 when we picked kyle brady

kevda5n9ne and hastygreen like this.
  16. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I know this is supposed to be one particular player but I'm going to vote for the Jets 2nd rounder(generic) 3 Decades and they've produced one star (Harris) a couple of decent guys (O'Dwyer and Maye) one ok for a bit guy (Jordan) and a lot busts..... A LOT OF BUSTS. I don't know how successful other teams are but by any metrics the Jets 2nd round pick is almost always going to be squandered.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And yet we retain the scouting staff.o_O Sure, they don't make the picks, but they do gather the data used to make those picks. Whatever the problem, it's systemic and years in the impact.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

RB Blair Thomas in 1990 Draft being picked #2 ahead of Cortez Kennedy, Junior Seau and wait for it...Emmitt Smith.
    WR Johnny "Lam " Jones in 1980 Draft being picked #2 ahead of Mark Haynes, Anthony Munoz and Art Monk.

It's not easy to whiff badly on #2 picks twice. Jets weren't even in the ballpark with those two picks.

alleycat9 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Stephen Hill, slowly I turned step by step, inch by inch. Who moves up to draft a WR who can't catch? Oh, wait . . . I had a glimmer of hope for him after a good game against Buffalo, but it was all smoke and mirrors and he flamed out before he caught fire. Nice dude, strong stable family background, sucked at football. :/ Funny side note, if my recollection is correct, his parents' names are Henry and Karen Hill.

Did anyone mention my perennial hate target, ROGER VICK? Forget about ' Bagel Street' on this one. Just seeing that guy's name I can feel the chunks rising. If I think about it too much it will graduate to chest pains.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

lets all please remember, none of these guys actually sucked at football. they reached the highest level of the game and were better than any of us could ever have been. i hate it when regular joes say guys that made it to the nfl suck at football. there are so many great players that never even make it there.

sorry for the tangent, it just annoys me.