What pick burns you the most?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 17, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

Brady was a bad pick- but far from a bad player. Honestly- Kyle Brady is a pretty good mistake. He turned into a very good and productive player and was not a Lawrence Phillips.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Marcus Maye is a super underrated pick to be frustrated with. I also was extremely annoyed with his selection. There was a ton of offensive talent available, and doubling down on the same position where only two players are on the field at the same time is so dumb.

He's a good, not great, defender. He really plays center field well and plays his deep zone excellently. He could be a great player if he improves his ball skills but whenever the ball is thrown near him where he has to break the pass up, he looks lost. I thought we were going to lose the Steelers game on that final possession because of it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. NFLDayspast

I agree with you. I am just saying at least the idea of prioritizing the position makes sense and has some logic. Like I said before the pick that got me was Pryor. To be clear- I did not think he was a good player. I also think he would have been available in the 4th round. The pick made no sense "a swiss army knife" for Rex Ryan's defense. A Swiss Army knife is an emergency tool that is useless when doing beyond basic tasks- where you need regular tools. The sad thing is Pryor turned out to be as useful as a swiss army knife when replacing an exhaust system.

The Patriots and Bill Belichick can burn a 3rd or 4th rounder on a guy to be a swiss army knife- not the New York Jets at that time.

It is amazing that Maccagnan was sooo bad that we forgot that Rex Ryan- who ran many of those drafts- might also go down as one of the worst talent evaluators in NFL history.

dmw and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Just look at my screenname.

That says it all.

stinkyB and jilozzo like this.
  5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

The u tube clip of that says it all. funniest shit out there. Are any of those guys in that video on this board??

wewantsapp likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

As you know,I was big on Mahomes, but can you imagine being a Bears fan. Giving up so much to move up one spot to draft Trubisky who would have been there without moving up, and still having to live with not taking Mahomes.

7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Cant lie THE PICK / selection of Adam Gase as coach still burns me

barfolomew, Ralebird and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

All of the criticism of Maye is unwarranted. Last year was his first year in which he was healthy and it showed.

Way too early to label Williams a bust. Need to draft/sign a few edge rushers as Greg Williams had to manufacture a pass rush with safeties and linebackers.

9. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

4 picks that stand out as "WTF" picks...Quinton Coples, Christian Hackenberg, Calvin Prior, Darron Lee. Every single one of these seemed like massive reaches at the time. Almost as if the Jets thought they knew something that no other scout could see. They were dead wrong in every case.

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not the A. J Duhe is wide open game in the Mud Bowl?

11. boozer32

Vernon Gholston. Runner up Kyle "Played Like Marcia" Brady. With Warren Sapp right there for the taking.

12. boozer32

Maybe we should do a thread of which GM burns you the most? Rich Kottite

13. boozer32

I'm with you on this. I liked Mahomes and we could have had him without tanking and without trading picks. I like Darnold also but the Jets would have been further along by now. Bowles still would have been canned but maybe we don't have Gase or maybe we might still have Maccagnan...yikes

14. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Maye played all 16 games his rookie year (why do fans forget this?) and put up numbers equal to Jamal Adams.

stinkyB likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

It's not so much criticizing the player as it is the selection and the position he plays.

He is the perfect fit next to Jamal Adams because he plays center field and he's the primary reason we don't give up big plays.

You can make a good case for why we chose Adams. He was considered a generational talent and leader. But to double down on safety with the 30th ranked scoring offense and no thousand yard skill position player or pro bowl offensive lineman in site was an irresponsible use of assets.

Throw out 2015 as an anomaly and perfect circumstances. We haven't had a thousand yard rusher or receiver since Shonn Greene in 2012. That's absolutely disgusting in the modern day NFL.

16. NFLDayspast

Unfortunately, I can't speak ill of him and actually have a soft spot- when you look back on his whole tenure it is comical. Kotite became coach soon after I began watching football. The mid to late 1990s were a good time for many of us- but this was an especially good time in my life. Rich Kotite's Jets were about the worst thing in my life at that point- when that is the case you have it really good.

17. NFLDayspast

I think the injuries have people assuming that is his ceiling and the injuries will keep him from reaching it again.

18. NFLDayspast

You are 100% correct. People don't get my criticism of Q. Williams is based on this line of thinking. Talent does not matter- when you were in the situation the Jets were in- the worst line in Football, while deep at the DT position, you don't draft a "project DT" with the 3rd overall pick. The 3rd pick needs to contribute immediately or in case of "projects" be the type of project that when successful will fill a difficient position with a star for 5 years. The 3rd pick should also address a difficult position as the Jets have overvalued interior linemen for a generation. Both Williams and Made are examples where we are criticizing the allocation of resources by the Jets and not the player.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

I agree with you on the positional choice being incorrect. And while Quinnen Williams was a one year starter, he was not viewed as a project. He was viewed as the next great defensive tackle prospect.

The only knock was only being a one year contributor but his extremely young age coming out combatted that in a good way.

Josh Allen was the pick, but Williams still has a ton of potential.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I wasn't at that game freezing my ass off and stoked up on brandy...