Mock Drafts (Please post all mock drafts here)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 17, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe Kurt wasn't so crazy after all when he said that Thomas might move to guard in the NFL.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

If it comes down to Wirfs, Becton and Willis at 11, just curious what type of information or data are you looking at from Combines or you are already set with one of those guys over other?

For me it would be very hard to pass up Lamb or Juedy at WR but then again you can grab 2 solid WRs at 2nd and 3rd rds. Tough choice

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

From my viewpoint it would be a blessing if all three are available and Douglas has his pick. Apparently he is big on building the trenches first and he knows OL talent very well. I don’t think WR would be the pick under that scenario. But then again I’m going from what I read from the media which is NOT how the NFL drafting gurus typically respond.
    In my simple mind WR no matter how good would be ineffective without a top OL, conversely, even our current WRs and RB would benefit greatly with a top OL in front. We need to prioritize need with BPA all being equal.

4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I am not a Wills fan. He is a wildcard to me. He could become a good LT with good coaching but I think he move to RT in the NFL. That of course depends where he goes. Wirfs I wasn't big on until playoffs. He really showed up, with a good combine, etc he may rise more. He's definitely a tackle at the next level, not a guard. Becton will be a top RT and could move to LT easy. He's been moving up the boards. I got to watch him live w times this year, he's a big massive young man. Personally I would prioritize ol over wr, but I think if thomas, Wirfs, and becton (if he continues to rise) are gone I look at wr. Lamb would be great. But also trade back is an option. Move picks in the first 3 rounds would help this team.

NYJetsO12 and BomberJet like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Kurt's not crazy at all. He's very knowledgeable and smart. I respect his opinions immensely.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

According to CBSSports.com they rank all NFL prospects. Just for OL its : Wills at #8 ,Thomas #9, Wirfs #15 Biadasz 24 and M Becton #31

BTW:
    CeeDEe lamb #7
    j Jeudy ranked #10 in Draft

You have 2 OL ranked in Top 10 even ahead of Jeudy and Lamb!.

Just doing the math there are 5 top consensus Offensive linemen.... its conceivable (maybe remotely) some of the 10 teams ahead of us grab all 5. Then your Trade Back Scenario becomes completely viable unless Lamb/Jeudy are there for us ..but even with them off the Board theres a remote possibility that 5 out of 8 teams take a Top OL. FTMR, take away 3 teams grabbing Justin Herbert Tua and Joe Burrow leaves 5 potential teams to take a OL. Of course all of those 5 probably wont do that but which OL will be available? And what if two teams trade back to teams that need an OL?

There are 2 other players Chase young and Jeff okudah that Teams will have immediate interest and it will help us out..but to me the DLs and Linebackers like Brown and Simmons remaining/available are afterthoughts

I want us to get an OL at #11 in the worst way considering all the dumbass decisions the Jets have made in the past...Lets see if this actually happens.

If not ..Joe Douglas has get us Numbers and Value in later rounds.. (fingers and toes crossed)

#186 NYJetsO12, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    J-Raw24 likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

I want an OL as well but I don't want a reach. Biadasz isn't a top 20 pick. Becton is rising he will be top 20 for sure maybe higher. The other 3 I have seen varying opinions on. Lamb is a top 10 pick, as is Jeudy. I prefer Lamb for Darnold and would trade the rights to pick Jeudy without hesitation. Others feel differently. But thing is that spot is right in front of oakland, who absolutely needs one of those 2. Lots of teams will want to trade up.

8. NCJetsfan

That's CBSSports' ratings. Other sites vary widely. They have Wills, Wirfs and Becton rated as highly or higher than Lamb and Jeudy. Most sites I'm seeing now don't even have Biadasz in the top 50-60 players. They have Cushenberry and/or Cesar Ruiz at Center rated higher.

An elite WR would help Sam a lot, so if the top 3-4 OT prospects are all gone, I would take one of Lamb and Jeudy and not look back. I think either of those guys is as about as safe as it gets in the draft. I would have no fears of either of them being a bust. The scary part for me is that I think the OTs are gonna fly off the board in a historic fashion. If we don't get one at pick #11, then we may not get one of even the top 10-15 OL prospects when we need to get two of them. In mock drafts I'm seeing, Wills, Wirfs, Becton and often Thomas are all going in the top 10 picks. When Thomas doesn't go top 10, he's gone by 15, and he may be the worst of those 4 OT prospects. Then Austin Jackson and Josh Jones also are going in the 1st round. Prince Tega Wanogho goes early 2nd round before our pick. So there's the top 6 OT prospects all gone before we pick in the 2nd round. We can't afford to trade up in the 2nd. We may be looking at getting only a 2nd or 3rd tier OT prospect like Lucas Niang, Trey Adams, Jack Driscoll, Matthew Peart, or Ben Bartsch (St. Johns - a small college).

Conversely, by our 2nd round pick, most of Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson, Henry Ruggs III, Laviska Shenault, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Denzel Mims, Jalen Reagor and Brandon Aiyuk could be gone as well. I'm with you that I don't want to trade down when we have an opportunity to draft an elite OL or an elite WR. One needs elite players on both offense and defense, and unless one gets lucky in a middle or lower round, one doesn't get the opportunity to draft an elite player very often. If Douglas is as good as advertised, I don't think we'll get many opportunities to draft elite players, so I think we need to do so this year while we can. I think we will wind up getting two very good players in the first two rounds, and one of them might be elite. I prefer that over 3 good to very good players.

Overall, I want to see us come out of the draft with 2 good OL and 2 good WR with one of those players potentially being elite, anything else is gravy.

#188 NCJetsfan, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I had to reach for Becton in this draft. Wirfs, Wills, Thomas, Lamb and Jeudy were all gone at #11. It isn't realistic, becaue I don't think Becton will be there at #11, nor do I think Wanogho will still be there at our pic in the 2nd round. I'd also be shocked if Kindley falls to the 4th round, Dillon to the 5th, and Claypool to the 6th. I don't think we have a 7th round pick, but if we do, I don't think Carter will still be there, either.

• 11. New York Jets USER PICK Mekhi Becton OT, Louisville
    • 48. New York Jets USER PICK Prince Tega Wanogho OT, Auburn
    • 68. New York Jets USER PICK Cameron Dantzler CB, Mississippi State
    • 79. New York Jets USER PICK Michael Pittman Jr. WR, USC
    • 110. New York Jets USER PICK Solomon Kindley IOL, Georgia
    • 140. New York Jets USER PICK A.J. Dillon RB, Boston College
    • 171. New York Jets USER PICK Chase Claypool WR, Notre Dame
    • 202. New York Jets USER PICK Shyheim Carter S, Alabama

mrjet80 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

I just finished reading the lead article on TGG Message Board with what the pundits have us doing at #11. I think 3 or 4 sportswriters were all over Wills the OL from Alabama who won a few Awards...in so much as saying Joe Douglas will trade up to #9 to get him after Becton Thomas and Wirfs are gone 1, 2, 3 ahead of us!
    Getting that Elite OL wont be an Slam Dunk for us and tbh I can see more sacrifice justified to trade up. Wouldnt blame Douglas a bit if he had to do it ..as you posted before the ineptitude of MaCagnan will come to haunt us, and we are unfortunately paying it forward

11. NCJetsfan

I don't see any way possible that Douglas trades up. We simply cannot afford to burn picks moving up. IMO that would be incredibly foolish with all the holes we have. I'd rather him take K'lavon Chaisson (Edge rusher) with #11 than trade up to get an OL.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You and I have disagreed over this for quite sometime. Look what happened when the Giants didn't move out to get their guy. They missed out on Leonard Floyd because Chicago jumped them and then they wanted Conklin and the Titans jumped them. The bears moved up from 11 to 9 and only gave up a 4th. Not really the same situation as we wouldn't be the team getting jumped, but rather they should have moved up and gotten their guy. I have no problem with Douglas moving up a few picks to guarantee he gets the guy he wants. I get it, we have a ton of holes. No one on this board knows more than Douglas and if he feels confident that whatever player he wants to move up for then I'm down with it.

13. NCJetsfan

That's ok. We don't have to agree. I understand your reasons for thinking it ok to trade up, and I know that you're more reasonable about it. You're not one of those posters who thinks the draft is like Madden and one can just trade up willy-nilly. I've never been a fan of trading up, and Tanny really abused it, and that's a big part of why our roster has been so devoid of depth and talent. There are also only a few positions or situations where I think trading up is reasonable. The positions are QB, LT, and Edge Rusher. The only time I would be amenable to trading up for any other position, would be if we already had a stacked team, but for whatever reason, we've been unable for several years to find a suitable player/match at another position.

The LT position would qualify for this year, but with all the holes we have, that largely negates it being OK for me. I think the only situation where it would probably would only be OK with me, is if during the draft three of the top OTs were already gone, and Douglas was pretty certain that another team ahead of us was going to take the fourth or heard that another team was going to trade up ahead of us and take the fourth. Even then, I wouldn't do it for Thomas, but would for Wirfs, Becton, or Wills. Those are the best OT prospects, and I would definitely rather have one of them than any of the others. Still, I probably would try to trade down towards the end of the 1st round, and then I'd take one of Prince Tega Wanogho, Josh Jones or Isaiah Wilson. If I had already re-signed Beacham, or signed one of Castonzo or DJ Humphries, and knew that there would be some good, or possibly better LT prospects next year in the draft, I definitely wouldn't trade up. I'd stay put and take one of Lamb or Jeudy, or trade down, and look to take Lucas Niang or Trey Adams in the 2nd round.

#193 NCJetsfan, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    dawinner127 likes this.
  14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

After thinking I’ve come to terms with the Jets potentially drafting defense at 11. If the top 4 OTs are gone, I think JD will go edge or corner over WR as WR is incredibly deep this year.

I’ve also thought of some scenarios in which Okudah falls to 11, and if that happens he HAS to be the pick. The draft would see 4 QB and 4 OTs go in the top 10, then Chase Young. That’s 9 of 10 picks before the Jets.

15. NYJetsO12

I get your point ..what are the Odds we hire a vet for OL in FA? Hopefully we get lucky and get a top player at 11.,Edge doesn't excite me

We are all just speculating and worrying (perhaps needlessly)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m exited about the draft but worried about our first pick. I’m confident that JD and the CS have already done enormous due diligence ranking and stacking a priority list versus the talent available particularly in the first 2 rounds. I feel comfortable, unlike previous years, that the team has most likely unanimously identified OL as number one, and within that priority which candidates merit a pick at 11. Matter of fact many of the draft knowledgeable board members here have highlighted the top 4 offensive lineman that fit into that category.
    However, I think our desires versus JD might start to diverge very fast if the top 4 OL are gone, and the next OL available does not merit such a high pick. what then?
    It is far from a foregone conclusion that JD and the CS have WR as a clear number number two, say ahead of a top edge rusher or corner, depending on how rich the draft is in those positions in the early rounds.
    I’m fearful that as the buzz around OL continues getting stronger and stronger, coupled with the constant reminder that the two Super-bowl contenders are blessed with superior OL, the run for lineman at the draft might go early and often by multiple teams.
    I hate the thought but we should not get surprised if the pick under that scenario is a defensive player in a position of need. Free agency and team signings might give us a peek into how we are hedging our bets with the first pick. Let the s hope one or two OL are there for us to take. That is our best option.

17. NCJetsfan

I hear ya, LA, and share the same thoughts. I trust Douglas completely at this point. I read an article within the last couple of days where everyone at the Sr. Bowl was telling the Jets' scouts that the Jets finally got it right in hiring Douglas and how fortunate we are to have him, and how happy we're going to be. That only served to reinforce my belief that he is going to be a very, very good, if not great GM for us.

I heard a podcast on Turn on the Jets, however, that said that the scuttlebutt at the Sr. Bowl was that the Jets were definitely NOT taking a WR with their 1st round pick. Now that could just be rumor, and it could be a rumor that the Jets started to throw other teams off. We'll just have to wait and see, and hope that the OL the Jets like best will still be there at #11. If not and they are definitely not going to take a WR, I will not be very happy.

If that is the case, I can only see 3 defensive players who are possibilities: Isaiah Simmons, K'Lavon Chaisson, and AJ Epenosa. Unless they think Simmons can be developed into a great pass rusher, I don't think he would make a lot of sense, although he is a great prospect. I would understand taking K'Lavon Chaisson as he is 6'4", 250 pounds and very athletic. He is a good, if not very good Edge Rush prospect, but he concerns me because he didn't have a lot of production at LSU. He has only played two seasons. He appeared in 10 games his freshman year, but didn't have a lot of production, so I'm guessing that he may not have started. His first sophomore year, he only appeared in one game, so I'm guessing that he was injured. This past season he had a good, not great, season with 60 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 2 passes defensed and 1 forced fumble. He's still young, but mostly potential at this point. Unless the Jets are switching to a 4-3 D full time, Epenesa doesn't make sense to me. He's too heavy to play 3-4 OLB. He's a DE in either a 3-4 or 4-3 alignment. We already have pretty good DEs and definitely don't need yet another 1st round pick going to the DL. I can live with about any other pick other than Epenesa. The only other defensive player I could see the Jets taking there is a CB. I don't see any way that Jeffrey Okudah falls to #11, and the next highest-rated CB is Kristian Fulton from LSU. I can't see him being the pick. He's pretty good, but in 3 years at LSU, he only had 2 interceptions and 20 passes defensed. 14 of those passes defensed were this year. He must have been injured, redshirted, or ineligible in 2017, because he didn't play. He only appeared in 2 games in his freshman year (2016).

So if the top 4 OL are gone and if the Jets aren't going to take a WR, then if they don't take a defensive player, I don't know what's left. There is no great TE this year like last year. There's no OG or C rated that highly. I have to assume that they're not going to take a QB, S, RB, P or K that high.

LAJet likes this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I get the logic of not taking a WR in round 1. Good WR's can be found in later rounds and this draft is loaded with WR talent. The OL is the biggest hole on the team and can't be fixed with FA's alone. But, saying they'll definitely take one in round 1 appears a bit close minded. If the scenario you gave occurs, I'd be more than fine with taking Lamb or Jeudy and going OL in rounds 2 and 3. There are quality OL prospects to be had after round 1 if the scouts and Douglas do their homework. And it's not like WR isn't a big need for us even if Robby is retained.

19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The best part about this draft is that in almost every scenario the Jets can sit at 11 and get a top talent at a premium position, that also happens to be a need. OL, Edge, WR, and CB. Even more so given that it looks like 4 QBs in the top 10

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  20. J-Raw24

I don't think 4 qbs go top 10. 3 maybe, but I think one falls. I have yet to see a mock with 4 in the top 10, wouldn't surprise me if the 4th goes to indy at 13, but I doubt top 10.

NYJFOREVER likes this.