Collective Rejoice

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 20, 2020.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Don't you find it odd that numerous NFL teams tried to trade for him at the deadline,one offering a blockbuster deal and still Douglas, Williams and Gase were unwilling to take that trade. Numerous GMs trying to trade for a project at the deadline (not a good player). And Douglas who by all accounts is a top talent evaluator along with Greg Williams see something that says this ( bad player) has more value than multiple high picks. Maybe your evaluation is skewed by your not liking the pick,or position....

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Congrats Quinnen Williams! You be the the LAST DL drafted by NYJ in a long time lol

Vida, tomdeb and JetsNation06 like this.
  3. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

No- because I think Ed Oliver is the better player- I would have gone with him. Again not saying Q won't be good- I am saying he didn't make sense with the state the Jets were in. We hear about those trades- but we don't know if that is truly legit with other teams wanting him.

tomdeb likes this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

Hard to compare the two. Q played NT, not DT. He did his job eating up blockers allowing blitzers to get to the QB and to stop the run. We had a top run D so he did his job. I would have preferred we draft Allen or better trade back add picks and take Bradbury but that doesn't lessen Q as a player.
    You brought up the reported trade offers , which came from reputable sources, Rapoport and Shefter are about as accurate as it gets but now you don't believe them credible?

5. TonyFtLaud

Unless he's traded in the off-season

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The bold mystifies me. What could have Douglas done after the fact with both free agency and the draft in the books? He had zero leverage. He took a few stabs at what was left, most helped, the Center was a bust. This shit is on Mac and the ownership that did not fire Mac's ass before free agency and the draft.

Vida and tomdeb like this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

He was referring to Douglas turning down the reported trade offers for Q at the deadline.

8. NFLDayspast

I keep asking if they were so great wouldn't the Jets have taken them? The more I thought about it I began to have my doubts. My reason has a lot to do with Ed Oliver. I read quite a few articles that said most teams regarded Oliver as better and actually had him higher on their boards. Another said if the Jets took Oliver Q. Williams would have been the player to start dropping.

Please know I think Williams will be a very good player- I just don't think he is the type you take with the 3rd overall pick. How is this for a comp- Jeff Lageman. Lageman was a good player but not worthy of where he was drafted. The same will hold true of Williams- and your post says why- Williams did do his job- and that job is not worthy of the 3rd pick. He is not an Aran Donald type and those are the only ones you take at 3.

94Abraham, tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

Do yourself a favor and ignore everything you read pre-draft.Its all bullshit and not one writer has any access or source that has access to any teams draft board. Access is very limited, players,scouts, coaches etc have zero access. Teams feed nothing but misinformation leading up to the draft. Ferrell and Allen went after Q and before Oliver. How many teams could have had him as high as you read?
    As far as Donald, he's a generational talent. Not a player you can find every year. To your argument, Oliver is no Donald. He wasn't a top 3 rookie, not even top 3 DL rookie based on year 1.
    What would your evaluation be of Oliver if drafted here at 3?

LAJet likes this.
  10. NFLDayspast

I think Oliver had a very solid year and contributed for the Bills. If he gave the Jets that same year I would be happy with it. Remember- I am saying the number 3 guy has to be an immediate contributor and Oliver was that.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Oh for Pete's sake. We don't even know the terms of the offer. Not to mention that he much preferred to keep Q and let go of Leo.....A great move

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean. Can't you say the same about your Schefter and Rapaport trade rumors? Not to mention there was never anything concrete revealed about the terms of the offer, whereas with Adams it leaked all over the place.

Joe Douglas could've gotten one shitty inquiry on Williams for a fourth round pick and pumped this amazing offer to the media to try to move him this offseason.

It works both ways.

It's also tricky with scouting. It only takes one team to fall in love with a player and he becomes a first round pick. We did it with Calvin Pryor.

A players value is whatever one team is willing to spend on them. Not 32.

CotcheryFan and LAJet like this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This kind of posts drive me nuts.

I too, would've preferred trading back. However, we took, yet again, by so many analyst and so forth, potentially the best player in the draft.

I can't be mad at that. Just because hindsight suggests It may not pan out that way, doesn't mean It wasn't picked that way with an overall consensus for just that.

I've seen far dumber shit happen, especially with this team. This doesn't remotely compare.

Vida and TonyFtLaud like this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

You said the #3 pick had to produce like Aron Darnold. Oliver did not come anywhere near that production.

15. NFLDayspast

But he was better than Williams.

16. TonyFtLaud

Not really, Schefter and Rapoport are much more reputable sources and their reports were after the fact. They are probably correct over 90% of the time, especially Rapoport, vs 0% for the Mheta's out there who claim access to the teams draft board. Adams leaked his news himself.
    I'd say Schefter and Rapoports in season reports are way more accurate than any beat writers claiming access to the team they covers big board.
    Teams can try to inflate the offers they received but the teams they claim the offer came from always refute those claims. They don't want to see themselves used to inflate the off-season trade value of a player they may want to obtain in the off-season.
    I don't think you can compare Schefter and Rapoport's in season reporting to any beat writers claim to having access to their teams board. Well over 90% accuracy to 0% . Be honest, when free agency hits and the trade deadline, everything is rumor untill it's confirmed @RapSheet. Adams leaked his own trade rumor in his meltdown so of course it was everywhere.
    Teams are quick to refute false trade offers or claims so I believe Douglas received several offers and one very good offer. I have no problem with the pick or keeping him. I also don't expect a NT to have DE #s either. For the record, the trade rumors are not mine, I didn't add them, they belong to the OP.
    I do believe they are more accurate though.
    I was debating the same old, you draft a player like Aron Donald at 3. It's too bad there is not a Donald like player available every year at 3 or 6.

17. TonyFtLaud

And Allen was better than Oliver....
    So if Oliver was our pick you would be saying we should have drafted him.....
    Your not alone in wanting a player other than Q. But your trying to make it that Q is a bad player, Douglas is a bad GM and as your arguments are proven false, you change your reasoning .

18. NFLDayspast

Didn't I specifically say I think he will be a good player? And on what planet did I say Douglas was a bad gm?

19. TonyFtLaud

After your BS was dispelled you changed what was being argued.
    These are all your words...

" You didn't get a good player at 3- you got Quinnen Williams."

" I can't stress the Jets did not get a good player as Williams play was far below what the number 3 overall pick should provide."

"they got the second coming of Leonard Williams"

"wasting not only the third pick, but an entire draft"

"This is my point- he viewed Williams as a good player and he isn't"

"Douglas had the chance to remedy a huge mistake and didn't take it"

You repeatedly said he wasn't a good player, claimed he's a wasted draft pick, is just no good.
    Then you went on to knock Douglas for not trading him.
    Are every one of those quotes not from you in this thread?

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He might have done ok but he wasn't needed on a team that draft these kinds of guys every freaking year. The spot he was taken and the amount of production they got from him did not add up. They had the same type of plugger already on the team in Leonard.