Thinking "outside the box" has hurt this franchise

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 20, 2020.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Bowles wasn’t completely out of the box, Atlanta was hot for him too, then hired another defensive guy (Quinn) and should have won a SB

2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Sadly Tanny was by far the best GM, and Rex by far the best coach post-Parcells. Well Herm was decent but the other GM’s have been a total shitshow...Bradway, Idzik, Macc

FJF likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jet's records with Tanny in the GM role: 10-6, 4-12, 9-7, 9-7, 11-5, 8-8, 6-10. 3 Playoff teams in 6 seasons.

His 1st rounders: D'Brick, Mangold, Revis, Gholston, Keller, Sanchez, Wilson, Wilkerson.

Other notable drafts: Washington, Harris, Powell, Davis, Greene.

Trades include up in the draft for Revis, Harris, Keller, Sanchez and picks for vets in Jones (swap of round position so no biggie at all), Jenkins, Favre, Sheppard, Edwards, Cromartie, and Holmes.

Free agents included: von Oelhoffen, Dyson, Pace, Clement, K. Coleman, Faneca, Woody, Scott, Leonhard, Tomlinson, Burress, Howard, Bell, Landry, Tebow.

The Jets management style under Tanny was best described as frenetic.

Have a hole for the current year? Throw the kitchen sink at fixing it.

See somebody you like in the draft? Do whatever it takes to move up and make the pick.

Have problems with the cap? Just renegotiate and move them down the road.

To be fair Tanny was just better at doing what the Jets liked to do anyway. He took most of the management precepts that Bradway had set in place and executed them at a higher level. This is quite possibly due to the fact that Bradway was still in house to give advice. A bad system that has two levels of reinforcement is likely to "succeed" more often than one guy trying to make it run smoothly.

Bradway's initial reign came to an end in the 2005 disaster where a brittle roster aged out and injuries dominated the season. 2007 was the second wave of that overdue trainwreck and should not be laid solely at the feet of Mangini and Tanny.

However the Jets doubled down on a troubled model and got probably the best result you'll ever get from trying to patch and spackle your way to a Super Bowl by 2010. The spit and bubble gum fell apart again in 2011 and by 2012 the model was discredited as the Jets collapsed again for the third time in 8 seasons.

None of this is to say that Tanny wasn't the best GM the Jets have had since Bill Parcells. Just that he gets too much credit for what went right and too much blame for what went wrong. He was an amiable mouthpiece for the Jets for a system that was always unstable and likely to blow up into a disaster every few seasons.

4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Great post. And I think you nailed it with the frenetic, throw the kitchen sink at a hole and move the problems downstream a year or two approach meshing with the Jets overall style. He was better than the other guys not because he was good, but because he was operating within an environment in which he was comfortable. Maybe the steady plan GM, and possibly HC, just won't work here at this time.

Br4d likes this.
  5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Everything started going downhill when Rex Ryan and Mike Tannebaum thought it was a great idea to spend first round picks on defensive players instead of on the offense. They had a shaky QB that they spent a first rounder on and instead of building him a top tier offense they focused on defense because Rex wanted his all-time great defense that never came to fruition. The trend continued in the post-Rex/Tanny world with defense defense defense (many of which were busts or only serviceable players) in a league that was becoming more offensive. Couple that with a string of 2nd round busts and very few late round gems.

I'm not sure if that's thinking out of the box as much as just sticking to a philosophy that has long passed this league by. Even the Patriots dynasty is finally dying in spite of the Pats having one of their best defenses in years, but yet their offense was awful this year with Brady finally losing his battle against Father Time and his surrounding cast not being good enough to make up for it.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  6. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The constant is bad ownership hiring weak GMs who let weak coaches get involved in player personnel .

Vida and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Vida

Vida Active Member

The offense as a whole was shithouse for the first half of the season. You can basically exclude everything prior to the Dallas game as far as I'm concerned.

Br4d likes this.
  8. Br4d

The offensive line actually lined up together for the first time in a game in the Bills game. I don't think they ever had any coherency as a unit and then the injuries started piling up. I think it is a minor miracle the Jets didn't wind up 3-13 this season given the underlying flaws in the team.

I can't even begin to evaluate Adam Gase at this point because I don't think he ever had the pieces for a consistent offense at any point in his first year as head coach.

Vida likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You choose not to hold him responsible for deciding to not have his OL play a single snap in P.S. together? Just the first of many questionable Gase decisions that were a portent of things to come.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Their biggest outside the box thinking was hiring Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf to hire their last coach. Till this day I don't see what they saw in Bowles. He had the personality of paint drying. His defense was horrible and his handling of his friend and DC was terrible. He should have been fire 3 years ago. There is just no way to sugar coat it. Everything the Jets have done after Parcells has failed miserbly. Signing Curtis Martin to a free agent deal with mega poison pills was probably the most successful thing they have done in the last 20 plus years.

jilozzo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

there were multiple posters on this very forum that wanted to fire Adam Gase after just 3 weeks

actually 2, I guess. As the discussion started prior to the week 3 New England loss about firing Gase during the bye week. 2 weeks as coach and emotional people wanted him fired. crazy stuff

FJF likes this.
  12. Br4d

I wanted him fired at mid-season at 1-7 after the Fins loss. If the Jets had continued towards the 3-13 that looked like I'd still have wanted him fired. The second half means something. It doesn't mean the Jets are good but it certainly means they did not quit.

I have no idea if Adam Gase is a good coach or not but based on the totality of the Jets season last year I want to see him get another season to figure it out. I can't imagine that it would be good for the current rebuild to fire him without landing a Parcells-like character and handing him full control.

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

you have no business being an owner of any franchise if you have to hire "consultants" to find your most important people.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

agreed 100%. unfortunately its a trend, a bad trend.

It is counterproductive and limiting. Consultants in these situations usually just suggest their friends. So the owner thinks they are eliciting help in an industry they know less about. But in reality they are boxing themselves in with just the people the consultant knows.

The goal should be to cast a wide net and hire the person that stands out. By hiring a consultant you are ensuring you aren't doing that.

Since1969 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Not sure about Rex but Buddy was way out of the box.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

And if you have to use a consultant, make sure it's someone who actually cares about the Jets. Like a former Jets player. That way, he won't pick a friend over what's best for the team.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I wanted to fire Gase the moment they announced he was the new HC. I still do. Along with anybody who thought hiring him was a good idea. Still do. I wish the Jets had kept Toilet around one more year so they could be hiring a real coach right now.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

IMO the biggest "box" bust was not picking Marino in 83.......realize obrien was a good QB under the "right circumstances" but his window of moderate success was small and we all know about marino and all the SB's he won. LOL

seriously.....you figure at least walton had some decent scoop on him being from Pennsylvania as well. guess not.

Ugh. Still wonder what it would have been like for marino throwing to toon, walker, shuler, and even lam jones for a bit. Maybe walton would have handcuffed him. we'll never know. LOL

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We got Ken O'Brien in the bottom of the first round.

More than 20 other teams also passed on Dan Marino.

People bitch about the very good draft pick that was one of our best QBs in the history of this franchise more than anything else.

We also could have taken Jerry Rice over Al Toon or picked Joe Montana a couple years before Marino.

In case you hadn't noticed Montana won the Superbowl and Marino lost but why or why didn't we draft Marino they ask.

[​IMG]
    Pathetic!