Another Mahomes take

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 20, 2020.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It was apparent from the previous season that Hack had a low ceiling. They should have drafted Watson or Mahomes.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

You're assuming the Jets would have been smart enough to build an offensive line around Lamar. Never assume!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets have a QB that has a HUGE ceiling. He has shown immense potential and he's still very young. There's a reason people were saying "suck for Sam". Let's hope the new GM builds a strong offense around him and he flourishes. In my opinion, he could be as good as Mahomes.

Br4d likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd settle for an upper middle class version of Mahomes.

NCJetsfan, stinkyB and dmw like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's pinching pennies at this point. both players are clearly at the top of the NFL. so passing on one who turned out a little better over the other doesn't make someone bad. there are 10 teams in the NFL who passed on mahomes that draft including the jets. if nfl GMs thought mahomes would be as good as he is now, he would have went 1st overall. knocking mac for not taking mahomes when he still got us adams is the wrong tree to bark up. there are plenty of legit things you can say to knock mac. drafting adams is not one of them though

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well Chicago is the only one who needed a QB (besides the Jets) who purposely skipped over Mahomes. I wonder how they think that worked out for them now? Cleveland theoretically had their "young FQB" in DeShone Kizer who they had drafted the year before and with two 1st round picks decided to go with the "consensus BPA" Myles Garrett who they had been predicted to take all along. Jacksonville had Bortles and thought a "can't miss RB" like Fournette, so I would disagree that they were looking for a QB. As for the Bills, Mahomes was gone before they picked, so they didn't pass on him.

So, in essence only two teams who were actually looking for a QB - Chicago and the Jets - passed on Mahomes. But at least the Bears took a QB, whereas the Jets who needed one took a Safety. Both were stupid picks, but the Jets was far more so.

legler82 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Bills had the Mahomes pick and traded it to the Chiefs. And thank God they did, I don't think I could root for the Jets anymore if Mahomes were to replace Brady in our division for the next 15+ years.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that Cleveland would pass on what everyone claims to be the generational prospect for Kizer.

But even if that stands, Buffalo traded the pick TO the Chiefs. So they had every opportunity to take him there.

The point is that everyone acts as if Mahomes was a can't miss prospect. He really wasn't. There were some question marks attached to him. If he was, teams would've been banging down the door to trade up to 3 to get him, not 10.

stinkyB likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Actually, including the Jets, there were really only TWO teams that passed on him as I explained in my response to Vilma. Both teams were dumb.

And I'm not knocking him for drafting Adams...I'm knocking him for drafting Adams over the FQB the Jets needed. That's the "crime". Had he drafted Watson, or Lamar, or even if he had taken McCaffrey I would've been okay with that But to take a SAFETY, and then double down on that and take a 2nd Safety? That's incompetence.

legler82 likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

NO ONE is "can't miss". Mahomes was an easily seen great prospect and we needed a QB. What else is there to know to conclude that Macc fucked up royally?

11. ColoradoContrails

They too had a young potential FQB and so weren't in the market. At least THEIR QB had some success and an upside (although not especially high). The Jets had no reliable QB beyond Uncle Josh. It was horrendous for Macc to not draft Mahomes or Watson in that spot.

12. GasedAndConfused

no 10 teams passed on him. even if a team had a QB (which i assume is your argument) you still don't pass on the next top QB in the NFL. you do like the chargers did when they took rivers when they had brees still. Even the cards took murray after drafting rosen top 10 a year earlier. the ravens took jackson despite having flacco.

13. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

I have been very impressed with your knowledge of the Jets and football. I really think you are wrong here. I am a draft nut- I am trying to attend this year. I remember when Mahomes was drafted. Every analyst loved the pick- provided he was going to sit a year and learn. They said that he needed a coach like Reid to develop him. The Jets needed a QB that year and Mahomes would not have been ready. Every analyst said he had great potential and could be a superstar in the right situation- where he could sit a year and learn from a HOF coach. The Jets did not offer that type of situation. The team he made sense for in hind site is the New York Giants.

Macc fucked up royally yes- but he fucked the QB position as a whole- I don't think you can say Mahomes is one of his most egregious mistakes. His strategy was flawed overall and he was bad.

Most GMs would pass on Maholm's if they were in the Jets spot- Todd Bowles- an awful coach with no hope of developing a QB and McNown as the starter.

14. NFLDayspast

You make good points up to the Ravens- Flacco had nothing left when they drafted Jackson. Very similar to Eli Manning- great career and guy but they were at the point where there was truly nothing left in the tank and their time had passed.

15. GasedAndConfused

fair point with flacco but still. had any team regardless of their QB situation thought mahomes would be as good as he is, they would have taken him regardless. having an extra really good QB is a huge bonus. they are easy to trade and have high value.

NFLDayspast likes this.
  16. NFLDayspast

I said this in another reply- he had Andy Reid a HOF and Alex Smith to sit and learn behind. This was the perfect situation for him.

If a team didn't have a similar situation they could not adequately develop him. The Chiefs also had talent at the skill positions. Similar to Jackson it was a perfect fit.

The reason Mahomes is not here is simple. A commitment to interior defensive linemen. This was the be all and end all and unfortunately you know I am not joking. Offense was ignored, especially the O-line. There was no talent in the offensive skill positions. A team in that position- with Bowles as HC was in no position to draft Mahomes and not screw him up.

17. GasedAndConfused

i agree with that as well. ried, smith, and all the weapons he has (hill, kelce, hunt *rookie year), run game etc) are a big reason for his sucess as well. which is another reason not to blame mac for taking adams when if we got mahomes he would have no o-line, no run game, no WRs and bowles as a coach rookie year and now gase

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think this point is flawed to be honest. I don't think any GM looks at their team and says well the coach sucks and so does the offensive line so we'll live to fight another day at quarterback. If this were the case, he wouldn't have ever taken the developmental loser prospect that was Hackenberg.

I don't think at that juncture he felt he had done a bad job putting weapons on this team or adding offensive lineman. He had the utmost confidence that Brandon Shell and Jarvis Harrison were the franchises future.

I just don't think he viewed Mahomes as a future elite player and also stuck to his BPA guns. He also completely overrated himself in his talent evaluation of Petty and Hackenberg.

His miscalculations at quarterback, offensive line and cornerback were unfuckingbelieveable.

legler82 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Reid didn't teach Mahomes his level of poise, athleticism, mobility, arm strength, accuracy, or ability to extend plays. Those traits Mahomes already had and they would have enabled him to play well and succeed wherever he was, regardless of whom his OC and HC were or the talent level around him. I'm sure that Reid refined his decision making, his reading of Ds, and knowledge of how to play the QB position, but I think it's silly to suggest that Mahomes wouldn't have been a good QB anywhere but with Reid.

No one said that having a howitzer arm is a guarantee of anything in the NFL. Why must some of you posters continually try to make strawman arguments and refute something that wasn't said? Anyone who has watched the NFL for any time at all knows that just having a strong arm isn't enough. There have been plenty of strong-armed QBs who have failed miserably in the NFL because they had ten cent brains. Also, if you think that the only positive attribute that Mahome had/has is arm strength, you're sadly mistaken.

johnny and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I love Sam, but I don't think he has nearly the talent or ceiling that Mahomes does.

ColoradoContrails likes this.