Welcome New Jets Fans! - Introduce yo self

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Sep 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Welcome! Where are you from in Europe? Hopefully, you won't be sorry for long that you decided to root for the Jets. Even if not, you'll have plenty of us here with whom you can commiserate.

2. greenheart

greenheart Member

It's not that I decided to root for the Jets, it happened, not sure how, and I am not sorry, I am pissed off, the organization is not doing anything to fix this mess, that's all I am hoping for this season, start preparing next season.

#542 greenheart, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Brook! likes this.
  3. ManchesterChris

ManchesterChris New Member

Hi Brook
    Yes, I do remember 1992 (and tragically I remember 1982, 1972, 1962 too). Thanks so much for your invitation to join your tailgate - something we don't have over here but thankfully there are more pubs near the stadium than there are at Meadowlands - and we'll definitely take you up on it! We won't book flights until the schedule is released but it's likely to be October or November.

Sorry I've not replied earlier but for some reason I've not felt like checking the board for the last couple of weeks. But as Manchester City went nearly 40 years winning nothing, I am well used to pain...

Something I've noticed at UK soccer grounds is the huge growth in fans wearing bobble hats of their NFL team. Most UK sports fans support an NFL team as you probably know but me and my son seem to be the only ones with green hats - although the guy in front of me at last night's game had a Jets t-shirt. It's probably only a matter of time before London sees a franchise team.

Anyway, we're so glad to have joined the family and hopefully we can meet up next year.

Brook! likes this.
  4. ManchesterChris

We City fans are well-known for being cantankerous too. It's a by-product of suffering in the shadow of a better-known rival. But since 2011, we have emerged from the shadows to become the dominant force in Manchester. It's only a matter of time and patience for Jets fans...

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  5. kent clerk

kent clerk New Member

Hello folks! Just when the Jets appear to have reached a point that's lower than whale sh*t, I’ve decided this is the time to out myself. I’m another UK poster, originally from London but now living in Scotland, and started following the Jets’ fortunes once Channel 4 in the UK started showing American Football in the early 80s. Why specifically the Jets? This: “O’Brien, going for it all, to Walker… touchdown! Oh, my”. I’ve very much been in and out of touch since then: it’s just unfortunate that the Internet and this good forum (which I’ve lurked on for a couple of years), and NFL Redzone on the free-to-air UK Sky Sports channel, have made it so much easier to follow the Jets when it’s becoming more and more of a bonkers idea to even bother…

Anyway, you can’t change your team once you’ve made any sort of attachment to it, and I support enough sports teams here that have been, over the years, equally painfully useless to become used to the disappointment and anti-climax. So the Jets fit in nicely somehow. I’m not sure I’d know how to react if any of them suddenly started winning stuff.

That was cathartic. Thanks for reading...

6. mark82

mark82 Active Member

Yesss mate!!

kent clerk likes this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Welcome to our board chief. I hope you bring good luck to our team.

kent clerk likes this.
  8. kent clerk

kent clerk New Member

>>Welcome to our board chief. I hope you bring good luck to our team.<<

Thanks for the welcome! Oh, so do I. But I fear the chances are slim... :(

Doreblade and Brook! like this.
  9. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

I am a long time Jet fan who recently realized the National Football League is one of the few constants in what have been incredible changes over the years. NFL = tradition.

westiedog1, Brook! and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. NFLDayspast

Brook asked me to say a little more about myself. So here it goes "a little more about myself". I will be honest- I am here because I am studying the game of football. I am interested in one of the expanding front office jobs as roster construction is fascinating. I have the education required for such a position. When I say studying I mean I am trying to immerse myself in the finer points of roster construction.

I also have issues with stress and talking about football is healthier than taking Zan Axe. For some reason I enjoy talking about roster construction and it relieves stress.

I am not looking to cause anyone any trouble- Brooke really wanted me to talk about myself- I don't know if you guys have have had issues with people but I assure you- I had never been on this board until I signed up the other day. He/She asked if I really was 40- unfortunately yes. I started watching football during the 1994 baseball strike.

Brook! likes this.
  11. Brook!

Thanks chief. We are a small community here. It is always nice to hear stories of new comers. Appreciate that you told more about yourself. You are at the right place. We have great football minds here. You will fit right in. Welcome again. :)

12. NFLDayspast

Thank you- you will learn more about the game of football here than with an NFL Franchise. The reason is people here are not getting a paycheck and have no financial interest in what they say- so no reason not to give truly honest opinions. It is like tenure in college- the talk is not tainted by anyone worrying about saying the wrong thing- which may be the truth.

Brook! likes this.
  13. ManchesterChris

Looking forward to watching the Superbowl on TV in a few days (sadly at home and in the middle of the night) with a bowl of popcorn and a few beers that aren't Budweisers. My thoughts are already turning to next season and, with crazy optimism, the Jets making the playoffs. Me and my Jets-supporting son are coming to New York next autumn for a long weekend with the specific aim of attending a Jets game at the MetLife. But we can't book flights until we know when the Jets will be playing at home, so we have some naive questions which I'm sure you'll know the answers to...

When will we know the exact schedule of games so we can be sure of dates?
    When can we book tickets (assuming that tickets will be on open sale at some point)?
    Any advice on games which will be less popular with fans to maximise chances of getting a ticket?
    Assume there is a central booking system for games...

We're so excited to be coming and although we've stayed in NYC a number of times and watched games in bars, we don't want to miss this opportunity!

Any advice would be most welcome and hopefully we'll meet up with some fans when we're over there.

Thanks!

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The schedule should be out right around the middle of April. Dozens of websites will be happy to take your money for tickets almost immediately after the schedule is released; some probably will before the dates are set - those would be the least reputable. Others who have done it lately may correct me but I would wait a while to see which games have better matchups and better prices. Season ticket holders will be putting some of their tickets up on sites like Stubhub so you probably want to wait until a decent amount of inventory builds up to let competition rule the market in your favor. You can also get tickets right through the Jets website when looking at the schedule there which links directly to the NFL's resale market. Just google "ny jets 2020 tickets"

One caution is to be careful that you don't lock into a game that can be rescheduled to or from Sunday night if you're planning a close arrival or departure. This explains it more: http://www.nfl.com/flexible-schedules

15. ManchesterChris

Hi. Thanks for replying, much appreciated. We will be arriving on a Thursday and leaving on Monday so we just need to avoid weekends with Monday night games I guess. Looking forward to the draft, feeling strangely optimistic but I am on my second espresso of the morning...

Brook! likes this.
  16. Brook!

Chris

Send me a PM when you decide to come to US. We will make sure to include you to our tailgate.

17. ManchesterChris

Will do, as long as you don't mind me wearing my Tim Tebow replica jersey. Thanks

Brook! likes this.
  18. Brook!

Go for it. :)

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Just don't run bare-chested in the rain or else I will be forced to kill you.

[​IMG]

I kid, I kid; but Tim Tebow, yet another painful chapter in the book of life as a Jets fan. I can feel the chunks rising. Oh, and welcome.

20. KKrlic

KKrlic New Member

Hi All,

I've been a member on here for a while but this is my first post......

I'm Jets fan from the UK but currently living in the Netherlands. Been supporting the Jets ''properly'' since around 2007 and previous to that I'd follow their scores but not with great intent.

#560 KKrlic, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.