QB Prospects- the most important position for the NY Jet FC

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 23, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

Jacob Eason and Jake Fromm are two guys that will likely never where a Jets uniform but will have a great impact on the Jets future.

Burrow, Tua, Herbert and I guess now Love are all projected to be drafted in the top 10. Based on the other players available this puts the Jets in a prime position to get maximum value in a trade for pick number 11.

Look at the talent in addition to the QBs and the needs of many of the teams currently drafting ahead of the Jets. The Redskins won't turn down the generational Chase Evans. The Giants need to much help on O-lin and D with a rookie HC. They will draft the BPA for their need and will get a good one. If Okudah does go at 3 teams will trade up to try and grab him. The Cardinals are going impact wideout.

Eason, Fromm or whoever the under the radar QB prospect is will be there at 11 and teams will be calling the Jets. I do think they will trade down to grab an additional second rounder.

Remember there is one every year- the Giants took Jones and the Chiefs took Mahomes- every year there is an under the radar QB prospect one or two teams will really covet- this year the Jets are in prime position to take advantage of it.

Look at the Jets right now- this is NFL films time because a trade such as this could signify the beginning of how the NY Jets built their best team ever.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eason is the definition of a Jekyll and Hyde quarterback. From lighting up Utah and Oregon (despite losses) to throwing a duck up against the Oregon State Beavers and Stanford's beat to shit injured team. His biggest knock is that he essentially doesn't have touch. And tries to throw everything through a brick wall. He's an interesting prospect. I think a team would be crazy to try to start him from day one but he definitely has all the tools.

Fromm is the opposite. Too much 'touch' aka he doesn't have strong velocity on his throws. He floats the ball around and while they had receiver problems this year he played his entire career behind an NFL offensive line with an NFL running game.

I think teams will sour on Fromm and move up on Eason. Hopefully we're the beneficiary of a hall and there aren't a ton of players available we want in that scenario. But I have to believe if a team really wants one of these guys they're going to try to move up further. Moreso to the Cardinals spot.

Jordan Love is the kid we want everyone to fall in love with. And with the way Mahomes worked out, I think we're getting just that. A lot of good reports of practices for him in Mobile. He has an absolute cannons.

#2 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

But do you think the Cardinals would make that trade? There biggest need is impact wideout and there will likely be a gold jacket guy sitting there for the taking.

I am glad I see what you do in Eason. Do you think the Patriots would go that route given his father was also their QB and he is a project similar to Mahomes?

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't see the Patriots being interested in someone like Eason. He doesn't strike me as making the right throw at the right time type of quarterback that prevents a Belichick offense from turning the ball over and playing field position.

I think he will try to get Tua if there's any chance of doing so (i.e. him slipping past Miami and San Diego - which I doubt). I think he will also sign a QB like Mariota in FA. I also honestly wouldn't put it past Belichick to target Jalen Hurts at some point. The connection to Saban is noted and Saban loves Hurts even though he had to make the move to Tua.

Patriots + ball control running QB offense with a Belichick coached defense is a whole different animal.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I don't see anyone trading up for either Fromm or Eason. Why should they? Neither are elite prospects and Fromm it's questionable whether Fromm has an NFL arm.

Trading down would be great, but not at the expense of adding an elite OL or WR prospect. One doesn't get the opportunity to draft one of those every day. Depending upon how far we traded down, we could wind up missing out on all of the best OL and WR prospects, and while we might wind up with more good prospects than otherwise, teams need elite players on both sides of the ball in order to really thrive/succeed. We have an elite defender in Adams. On offense, we have average and worse. Over the last couple of drafts, with all the blown picks and holes we have, I have wanted the Jets to trade down to help speed up the rebuild and to fill more positions, but not this year. We have an opportunity to add an elite OL or WR to help Sam thrive, and I don't want to pass that up. I don't want average OL in front of Sam or average WRs for him to throw to. Yes, that would be an improvement, and I'm sure that some of the OL and WRs will wind up having to be average players. We can't pay 5 elite OL and 3-4 elite WRs, but I want to make sure that we have at least one elite WR and OL, and then hopefully, an elite edge rusher, and then the rest can be average or above average. Hopefully, we will never have below average and lousy players again.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Every mock I have seen has the Cardinals taking an OL, NOT a WR. I'm not sure I agree that WR is their biggest need.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I read where the cardinals announced that Fitzgerald is staying for 1 more season....would that change their draft priorities? They do need a lot of help in many areas.

#7 BomberJet, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem with Love is the cat's out of the bag on QBs like him. So rather than falling to a competent team like Mahomes did, he'll get snapped up by a team that will then try their best to ruin him.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Kyler Murray wants Lamb

10. NCJetsfan

I'm sure he does. I want him on the Jets, but their GM and HC may have a different perspective. They could take Lamb, and I wouldn't blame them. I almost hope they do, as that would probably enable one of the top 4 OTs to fall to us.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's my preferred scenario having one of the top lineman falling.

Lamb and Murray have a history even before going to Oklahoma.

NCJetsfan likes this.